Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sofielinnea

Eczema from accutane or carbamide lotion?

 I’ve been getting this eczema on my hands for over 1 week now. It started on one hand but has now spread to the second. It doesn’t look severe in these pictures but in daylight it’s really visible. When I started going on accutane about a month ago my doctor also prescribed me a lotion prescribed that contains 5% carbamide. I don’t know if it’s the lotion or the accutane that is causing my eczema so I just thought I would check here. Also no matter what lotion I use whether it’s the prescribed one, cetaphil hand lotion, facial moisturiser, hydrocortisone  it always burns. My hands aren’t  even that dry! No cracked skin, or flaking - my friend even said they were pretty soft. Not sure if I should contact my doctor again or if I should wait another week. Anyone who’s had a similar eczema? What caused it for you? We’re you able to treat it? 

Whatever help you can offer would be much appreciated!

706E9611-B9F2-44CA-9DDC-9EDB1DCFAB0C.jpeg

378032CB-1D56-479C-AB00-8854B03DDBDC.jpeg

AC63FFC2-45C1-4DC8-B155-CCDDA3232121.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, it's hard to say- but accutane itself is known to cause this. Accutane can also permanently wreck your skin, so even if free of acne, you have a damaged skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks I just wanted to know whether this could be caused by accutane or the cream. Exactly how can accutane wreck my skin btw? My doctor just prescribed it to me rather hassle free - just went through the basics, didn’t even have to do blood tests or go on birth control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sofielinnea said:

Ok thanks I just wanted to know whether this could be caused by accutane or the cream. Exactly how can accutane wreck my skin btw? My doctor just prescribed it to me rather hassle free - just went through the basics, didn’t even have to do blood tests or go on birth control.


Your derm should be reported. This is an extremely dangerous drug. You need monthly blood tests, but even with this, I crashed hard on this drug. 
Do you know this is a cancer drug that affects cell divison? 

My derm was more thorough, but I was not warned properly about effects I could have for life. Several members here have completely lost their hair. Some people need to drain fluid from head due to brain pressure. Eye dryness can be permanent- as accutane kills the gland.

Accutane can thin and cause the skin to shed, become very dry, brittle... don't know how to explain. Some of this may be permanent. I had red rashes, and some parts of skin became very sensitive.

My question to you is- do you have extreme acne, unresponsive to all treatments? Do antibiotics work for you? You should not be on tane. Edited by fiksi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fiksi said:

Your derm should be reported. This is an extremely dangerous drug. You need monthly blood tests, but even with this, I crashed hard on this drug. 
Do you know this is a cancer drug that affects cell divison? 

My derm was more thorough, but I was not warned properly about effects I could have for life. Several members here have completely lost their hair. Some people need to drain fluid from head due to brain pressure. Eye dryness can be permanent- as accutane kills the gland.

Accutane can thin and cause the skin to shed, become very dry, brittle... don't know how to explain. Some of this may be permanent. I had red rashes, and some parts of skin became very sensitive.

My question to you is- do you have extreme acne, unresponsive to all treatments? Do antibiotics work for you? You should not be on tane.
Well now I’m freaked out. I should probably add that I live in Sweden, Europe and that the name of my medication isn’t actually accutane, it’s isoterinon or something like that - I don’t have it on me right now so I can’t check. Maybe they changed the formula or something on this one? I think the reason he was so quick to hand it to me was that it had been very effective on my sister. I should also clarify that I have tried antibiotics and birth control pills already. My acne is moderate but it is also scaring. I used to have very good skin until I turned 20 and moved to Australia, over there my period completely disappeared for 6 months and I got very deep pimples on my cheeks and temples(where I had never had pimples as a teenager) that didn’t respond to topical treatments. I also THINK my doctor said he would send a medical referral to the hospital(he’s a private dermatologist with an office in his home) for bloods samples but I still haven’t heard anything from them. Maybe he just forgot to send it?   So far accutane has been working great except the rash though I’m starting to see  skin get better. I will contact him anyway and see what’s going on though. Thank you for letting me know about this! Edited by Sofielinnea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sofielinnea said:
Well now I’m freaked out. I should probably add that I live in Sweden, Europe and that the name of my medication isn’t actually accutane, it’s isoterinon or something like that - I don’t have it on me right now so I can’t check. Maybe they changed the formula or something on this one? I think the reason he was so quick to hand it to me was that it had been very effective on my sister. I should also clarify that I have tried antibiotics and birth control pills already. My acne is moderate but it is also scaring. I used to have very good skin until I turned 20 and moved to Australia, over there my period completely disappeared for 6 months and I got very deep pimples on my cheeks and temples(where I had never had pimples as a teenager) that didn’t respond to topical treatments. I also THINK my doctor said he would send a medical referral to the hospital(he’s a private dermatologist with an office in his home) for bloods samples but I still haven’t heard anything from them. Maybe he just forgot to send it?   So far accutane has been working great except the rash though I’m starting to see  skin get better. I will contact him anyway and see what’s going on though. Thank you for letting me know about this!

I am in Europe as well- this is the same drug, the "Devil" only has different names... 

I was not allowed to start w/o blood test(I did it monthly as well). For girls, pregnancy on iso means a deformed baby- it is a cancer teratogenic drug. 

From your post, you were given this too easily and against all rules. In my case, very bad effects only appeared after 4 months. You don't know what effects, and when, will appear- and how long they will last.

My strong advice is, unless you are very extreme case, not to take this at all. As I said, this drug affects basic cell division, death, and gene expression, so it could be very dangerous. 

I will conclude- we DON'T know how accutane works, not the makers, doctors, nobody does. Not fully.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the EXACT same pattern of eczema on my hands. I'm taking accutane and this happens when my hands are exposed to the cold. (only on this medicine though, i do not have ezcema otherwise!) My dermatologist saw this and said it is absolutely classic of accutane-induced ezcema (the pattern on the hands as well as coming on when exposed to cold air). He gave me a strong steroid ointment (clobetasol) to use 2x per day and it COMPLETELY resolved. Get some of that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×