Notifications
Clear all

Constant cheek acne - any advice?

MemberMember
(@pastelgoth)

Posted : 01/17/2018 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I™ve suffered with this constant acne on one of my cheeks for the best part of about 4 years now. I™ve always suffered with acne popping up now and again since I was a teenager, but never this badly/constant. I was on the contraceptive pill microgynam about 6 years ago, that completely cleared my face of any acne, but I had to come off it because of migraines.

Since this cheek acne has cropped up nothing seems to make it any better whatsoever, let alone banish it. I™ve tried a few natural products designed for acne over the counter and 6 months ago I decided to go to my doctor about it, who prescribed me oral and topical antibiotics. I was on lymecycline for 3 months but that didnt work so I have been on tetracycline for the past 3 months but again, haven™t seen any improvement. I™ve been using 0.1% Differin cream alongside the oral antibiotics.

I have my next appointment with my doctor this Friday, he said this time if nothing has worked he will refer me to a dermatologist. He mentioned roaccutane and I have heard of it before, but he was quite hesitant to recommend a dermatologist going down that route for me because I™m also on anti-depressants and have mental health issues and apparently it™s a huge no no for people like me. 

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this/preventing it from being treated with the aforementioned antibiotics? I™m just at a loss as to where it came from and why it won™t go away. My diets good, I don™t have much dairy in it and I™m also a vegetarian (but only for the past year). I hardly wear make-up and I™m very conscious not to put any products with parabens or oil on my face because I don™t want to make it worse. 

77018D1F-7F2B-43A8-8BD3-D61DB0114802.jpeg

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/17/2018 6:58 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, acne is largerly genetic set. Food, environment etc. can control some, but depends how much. While at my worst, no such control could help me entirely so I was forced to try pills, creams etc.

Have you tried minocycline in higher doses? This worked well for me.

Accutane is extremely dangerous, and your acne is not extreme/severe. As well, it can cause/worsen depression, so even worse in your case.

MemberMember
(@pastelgoth)

Posted : 01/18/2018 9:14 am

14 hours ago, fiksi said:

Hi,

Unfortunately, acne is largerly genetic set. Food, environment etc. can control some, but depends how much. While at my worst, no such control could help me entirely so I was forced to try pills, creams etc.

Have you tried minocycline in higher doses? This worked well for me.

Accutane is extremely dangerous, and your acne is not extreme/severe. As well, it can cause/worsen depression, so even worse in your case.

Hi thank you for your reply! The more I am reading about accutane I can see it really isnt worth it to clear up my face. I will ask my doctor about higher doses of antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@acnepumpkin)

Posted : 01/25/2018 3:35 am

Hi!
I have heard from dermatologists that acne on the cheeksis usually related to a food allergy, have you noticed it getting worse with a certain food youre eating? Or thought about being tested for something you may not have known youre allergic too?
Ive cut out dairy products as had a very slight allergic reaction to it and am slowly noticing my skin getting better.
Anything is worth a try, I feel so low and feel like I look like a monster. I cancel plans on purpose and look down when people are talking to me. I just want my acne to go.