Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plaguevictim

Starting Isotretinoin treatment (finally)

After a couple months messing around with topic treatments and Lymecycline, my dermatologist decided it was time to unload the big weapons so I am starting a 7 months treatment with Isotretinoin. My case is not that bad specially after looking at some pictures online... Anyway, hoping for the best :D 

Edit: Added a picture of the affected area for reference. 

20180113_145203.jpg

Edited by plaguevictim

Hey there ! good luck on your accutane journey ... I´m on my 8th month now and It was only around the end of the 6th month that I really started to notice dramatic results . This is not meant to discourage you , though ... I have a friend who is on accutane too and she is 4 months into It and her face is already clear , so ... yeah , accutane works differently on everyone , some see good results as early as a month , others see It around the 3rd month and others don´t see  results until later on the course (like me ) . My advice is that you don´t stress too much if you´re 4 months into accutane and your face is still breaking out a lot  because your skin will most likely get better in a month or two, just give It  time . 
Also , apply lip balm or vaseline to your lips all the time . No , seriously , I am such a lazy girl and sometimes I just don´t feel like grabbing the lipbalm and applying It and the result of this is that I am left with chapped lips  and cracks in the corners .. It hurts when you yawn and It is just ugly . 

That´s It. I ´m sure you´ll be alright ;) 

well , It´s like I said , some people see good results on the 1st month and others only on the 5th month or so... this treatment works differently on everyone , there is no way to know if you´re going to clear up in 3 weeks , 3 months or 5 months ... you just have to be strong because It can be very hard sometimes . Don´t drink alcohol (or if you really want to , drink only a small amount ...drinking too much can be heavy on your liver so be careful), moisturize your skin , keep your lips hydrated , don´t eat a lot of junk food (you can still have your burgers and french fries , but do not eat It very frequently because It can raise your cholesterol levels ) , drink water , if you workout you can still do It of course , but keep in mind that your muscles may hurt more than usual , so you´ll need to adapt . 

well, good luck :)  

23 hours ago, plaguevictim said:

Thanks for the tips. It is a crazy medicine indeed. If only we had a less aggressive treatment. 

Just to make sure you are aware of the risk you are taking - your choice of course.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexander-m-spring/accutane-putting-your-per_b_1314233.html

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/isotretinoin-roaccutane-rare-reports-of-erectile-dysfunction-and-decreased-libido

Also just in case you think the risk is work it - if you get the sexual sides they are longterm possibly permanent.

Please do your research.

Good luck

3 hours ago, hatetane said:
Just to make sure you are aware of the risk you are taking - your choice of course.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexander-m-spring/accutane-putting-your-per_b_1314233.html

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/isotretinoin-roaccutane-rare-reports-of-erectile-dysfunction-and-decreased-libido

Also just in case you think the risk is work it - if you get the sexual sides they are longterm possibly permanent.

Please do your research.

Good luck
Well, I know the risks but unfortunately I have no other option. Antibiotics don't seem to work on me and neither does topic treatment :( 

1 hour ago, plaguevictim said:
Well, I know the risks but unfortunately I have no other option. Antibiotics don't seem to work on me and neither does topic treatment :( 
Well it may seen like that  - are you sure your not looking for a quick fix.

Where are you from?
Too be honest I don't think by looking at the photo that you should actually qualify for for accutane.

Anyway it is your choice - you just have a right to be informed,

Best of luck to you.

21 minutes ago, hatetane said:
Well it may seen like that  - are you sure your not looking for a quick fix.

Where are you from?
Too be honest I don't think by looking at the photo that you should actually qualify for for accutane.

Anyway it is your choice - you just have a right to be informed,

Best of luck to you.
Well, it is a seven months long treatment so definitely not a quick fix. That photo was taken after a month on antibiotics so those are stubborn lesions. Some are already forming cysts :( I am aware of the risks and I will be doing monthly blood tests before getting new prescriptions.    

20 hours ago, plaguevictim said:
Well, it is a seven months long treatment so definitely not a quick fix. That photo was taken after a month on antibiotics so those are stubborn lesions. Some are already forming cysts :( I am aware of the risks and I will be doing monthly blood tests before getting new prescriptions.    
Great, I wish you all the best then. Please keep us all up-dated.