Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forum

allegedly....its all in your belly!

hey all

dont knwo if anyone has an answer, but i recently posted these q’s at the bottom of a very rambley pre-accutane journal entry.

i have been told through a holistic health person that acne is caused by your liver insufficiently filtering the toxins in your body. their overgrowth sprouts up in your face and those toxins are the cause of acne.

has anyone hear dof this? or done a liver cleanse? im gonna do some research and i will follow up

apparently i am to do a liver cleans and in 3 week i will be perfect-o? but that sounds too easy and i imagine is holistic hooey

would be nice tho!

hey all

dont knwo if anyone has an answer, but i recently posted these q’s at the bottom of a very rambley pre-accutane journal entry.

i have been told through a  holistic health person that acne is caused by your liver insufficiently filtering the toxins in your body. their overgrowth sprouts up in your face and those toxins are the cause of acne.

has anyone hear dof this? or done a  liver cleanse? im gonna do some research and i will follow up

apparently i am to do a liver cleans and in 3 week i will be perfect-o? but that sounds too easy and i imagine is holistic hooey

would be nice tho!

You see this website? http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/

This is essentially what the program tells you to do. I'm on it. No improvements. Go figure. I wasted over $300 on supplements and eating some nasty ass shit. However there was one good thing that came out of it. In the program it suggests that you eat coconut oil because it helps cleanes the body and lowers cholesterol level. Yeah I know some people are going to call bullshit, but I'm living proof. I'm 5'7" 140lb male and my cholesterol used to be about 180-185. The normal is I believe 200 and the danger level is 300. After taking a teaspoon of coconut oil daily for 2 months and ate more fiber, my cholesterol dropped to 120! I shit you not and you should have seen the look on my doctors face. She was asking me what I was doing and I told her I just changed my diet. Yes, I still can't believe it! I know people say coconut oil is so bad for you because it has so much saturated far. My mother was telling me to stop eating it because I'm going to die or something. It sure showed her when I got my blood analysis back. Draw whatever conclusions you want but in my opinion, it's a good oil unlike what so many other people say. Oh btw, I weighed 135lbs the last time I went to my doctor. So it sure doesn't make you go fat.

geez thats tough , sry to hear its not the miracle the holistics assert. but it would have been nice! atleast there was a purpose, coconut oil, huh? im fascinated... my grandma has cholesterol stuff so ill pass that along. i think thats valuable information for everyone, we all know soemone affected by that.

thanks for the response, i appreicate it very much!

However there was one good thing that came out of it. In the program it suggests that you eat coconut oil because it helps cleanes the body and lowers cholesterol level. Yeah I know some people are going to call bullshit, but I'm living proof. I'm 5'7" 140lb male and my cholesterol used to be about 180-185. The normal is I believe 200 and the danger level is 300. After taking a teaspoon of coconut oil daily for 2 months and ate more fiber, my cholesterol dropped to 120! I shit you not and you should have seen the look on my doctors face. She was asking me what I was doing and I told her I just changed my diet. Yes, I still can't believe it! I know people say coconut oil is so bad for you because it has so much saturated far. My mother was telling me to stop eating it because I'm going to die or something. It sure showed her when I got my blood analysis back. Draw whatever conclusions you want but in my opinion, it's a good oil unlike what so many other people say. Oh btw, I weighed 135lbs the last time I went to my doctor. So it sure doesn't make you go fat.

Some thoughts on this...

First off, coconut oil is VERY high in saturated fats. That's been proven to raise LDL (bad) cholesterol over the long-term. Short-term changes in cholesterol are interesting, but not reliable. I've heard many stories about how intake of highly saturated fat foods will lower total cholesterol in the short term but raises it into the "high" range over the long term. I suggest you continue to get your cholesterol monitored at least once a year if you insist on adding a large dose of saturated fats to your diet.

Second, you made other changes in your diet and took supplements during this period of time, right? You may have also changed some of your behaviors, like maybe by exercising more or adding relaxation exercises? It's possible the coconut oil is not what caused any cholesterol lowering.

Third, if you did a "liver cleanse", it's very possible you shocked your liver into producing less cholesterol. The liver is the organ that creates cholesterol in your body. If you're messing with it, cholesterol count measurements could be messed up (read: unreliable) for a while.

Fourth, liver cleansing is not a proven therapy. There's little known about it. Personally, I don't think it's actually cleansing the liver or gall bladder any. I don't know what affect (if any) it has on the liver. Neither do the naturopaths. What they have is a "belief", not "knowledge". There is a big difference. I'd welcome any peer reviewed, scientific evidence for the liver cleanse.

Fifth, average total cholesterol counts for the U.S. are above 200 now. And 200 is considered "high". In other words, at 200 people should start going on cholesterol lowering drugs. According to the huge Nurses Study ("Framingham"?), they showed that nobody ever died from heart disease who had a total cholesterol count less than 150. While total cholesterol count is not reliable, the 150 count statistic is somewhat interesting. It says that if you have a total cholesterol count below 150, the odds of ever dying from heart disease is nearly 0. So the cholesterol count to shoot for should be 150, not 200 like some doctors suggest. Don't listen to your doctors. They're just telling you what is "average". Well, in the U.S., "average" pretty much means that one out of every 3 people will die from heart disease. The rest will die from cancer and other problems before heart disease kills them, but if they lived long enough, heart disease would indeed catch up and kill them. That's unacceptable. So instead shoot for "no risk" with a cholesterol count below 150. If you're at 120, you're safe.

Steve

Austin, Texas USA

Some thoughts on this...

First off,  coconut oil is VERY high in saturated fats.  That's been proven to raise LDL (bad) cholesterol over the long-term.  Short-term changes in cholesterol are interesting,  but not reliable.    I've heard many stories about how intake of highly saturated fat foods will lower total cholesterol in the short term but raises it into the "high" range over the long term.  I suggest you continue to get your cholesterol monitored at least once a year if you insist on adding a large dose of saturated fats to your diet.

Here's what I found on Coconut Oil:

http://www.coconutoil.com/

The Truth about Coconut Oil

http://www.alternative-healthzine.com/html/0108_2.html

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/coconut.htm

http://www.thenaturalhealer.ca/mag/04/02/c...-oil.php?page=1

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

i have been told through a  holistic health person that acne is caused by your liver insufficiently filtering the toxins in your body. their overgrowth sprouts up in your face and those toxins are the cause of acne.

If you really want to de-tox your body you can use chlorella.

It’s a unicellular Green Algae found in still, fresh water, or soil, or tree bark. The cell must be cracked so make sure you get a good brand, and don’t buy the powder form it tastes like mold.

It however has been proven in scientific studies to attach itself to toxins and heavy metals in the body and flush them out. It is especially good when you are sweating too much and getting that funky smell going on. It takes about 3-4 hours to get going though as it has to hit the liver and do its thing.

It is also much easier and faster then dieting and such.

Hope this helps

Avelon