Everything seems to...

Notifications
Clear all

Everything seems to make my skin oily

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/09/2018 6:48 pm

When I first started treating my acne I used 10% benzoyl peroxide. It made my skin pretty dry, irritated, and shiny.

When my acne became more severe, I started Retin-A. I used sunscreen in the morning because I live in Puerto Rico and Retin-A makes you much more sensitive to the sun. The Retin-A dried and irritated my skin and this with the large amount of sunscreen in the morning made it horribly greasy.

After this, I went full caveman and didn't do anything to my face for a while. I'm sure the grease would have improved over time, but within a week I had several massive cysts.

Then I started using an astringent with 2% salicylic acid from neutrogena. This irritated my skin and made it very shiny. (I recently bought a toner with salicylic acid, but the alcohol seems to be irritating my skin, though not as bad. It is still very shiny.)

I stopped all of this and now I'm just cleansing and moisturizing. How do I treat my acne without making my face shiny?!?!

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/10/2018 3:13 am

You can purchase moisturisers designed to help manage oily skin. So you can still use the acne treatments, and then finish with a suitable moisturiser that will help to stop your skin looking shiny for most of the day.

You can also look into clay masks. Ive not used them before, but Ive heard good things about them controlling oil for days at a time.

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/10/2018 9:58 pm

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I'll look into clay masks. I do have a neutrogena oil free moisturizer that I have been using. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, but it is not supposed to make your skin oily. My skin will dry out using this moisturizer though, especially if I'm using acne products and my skin will react by producing oil.

I have used a heavier moisturizer before too, and this will also make my skin oily. I live in Puerto Rico and it's really hot so it becomes a mess! Sorry about the huge tirade, but I haven't found a solution yet...

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/11/2018 3:33 am

Yeah have a go with clay masks and let us know how you get on!

Ive used that neutrogena oil free moisturiser as well, didnt do much to stop the oil for me to be honest. For me Ive found Garnier Pure Active Matte Control to work very well. Stops my oily skin for at least 6/8 hours or so.

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/13/2018 8:31 pm

I'm cleansing, I'm moisturizing, I'm even toning my skin sometimes. I'm taking way better care of my skin then I have ever done in my entire life and I still have oily skin.

I've heard thattretinoin can cause oily skin for months after stopping use. It's been 3 months since I stopped. I don't know how many more months it's gonna be but it's driving me absolutely crazy!! I have a feeling it's behind a lot of my acne too, all the oil sitting on my skin clogging my pores.

MemberMember
(@talya122)

Posted : 01/13/2018 9:20 pm

do you use acne.org products ??

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/14/2018 12:21 pm

On 1/14/2018 at 8:20 AM, talya122 said:

do you use acne.org products ??

No. I use cetaphil, neutrogena oil free moisturizer, and sometimes a 50 spf matte sunscreen from obagi. At night I use gold bond healing lotion on my face.

MemberMember
(@talya122)

Posted : 01/14/2018 7:37 pm

what products would you recommend that have helped you ?

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/15/2018 11:29 am

15 hours ago, talya122 said:

what products would you recommend that have helped you ?

I can't really recommend any except the Cetaphil cleanser. Obagi has good sunscreens that has helped a little with my oil because they make my skin matted for a little bit but they're really expensive, I got mine from a friend. Not worth the money and it doesn't fight acne.

MemberMember
(@inflabby)

Posted : 01/23/2018 11:22 am

Dont use that oil free moisturiser, it is definitely causing your face to be more oily. i feel that Your face needs more hydration. This video will change your life.

MemberMember
(@scarletear)

Posted : 01/29/2018 3:17 pm

Wow these ARE great videos. I changed my skincare routine to be a more natural. I am cleansing with Cetaphil, using apple cider vinegar as a toner, and jojoba oil as a moisturizer. I still have very oily skin but I am hoping to improve over the next month...

MemberMember
(@voguewitness)

Posted : 01/30/2018 1:50 pm

It's just that the skincare industrie wants us to believe oil is bad for our face, while its not. some oils are even superior to benzoyl peroxide without clogging pores. It's just alot of them DO clog pores. You'll have to find the good ones like jojoba oil :D