Notifications
Clear all

I have tried almost everything, including accutane

MemberMember
(@musicguy0316)

Posted : 01/08/2018 4:48 pm

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have struggled with acne on my face, neck, chest, and back for around 4 years now. I've been to 3 dermatologists. The first one prescribed doxycycline, which helped a lot but after a while my acne got worse. So I went back and she prescribed benzoyl peroxide and retin a. This helped again but after a while continued to get worse.

I tried a different dermatologists, and she was kinda a hippie with weird techniques and way too expensive, so I stopped going there.

The third one was recommended by my doctor saying that he is one of the top guys in the acne world. So I went to him and he suggested accutane for how severe acne was and considering all the options I've tried (I tried a bunch of natural and over the counter products too) he said accutane would most likely work. My mom was hesitant about me starting it, since I was 17 at the time she had to consent too. I wanted to start accutane because I just wanted to be clear and didn't think any of the side effects would actually effect me (I was 17 thats how we think). I persuaded my mom, and I started the treatment. I went about a month in and I had to stop because it was messing with my digestive system. That month of accutane was torture! Im a brass player, so dryness 24/7 is my worst nightmare. I drank so much water that I had to run to the bathroom after an hour and a half class, and I was still dry. My skin was definitely LOOKING better, but the way my skin FELT was complete agony. Accutane is truly a last resort.

Now a year later, my acne was getting better when I was at college but during the winter break my acne flared up and its the worst its ever been.The only things I haven't tried that I've found online is acne.org regimen, and cutting out dairy and other things from my diet.

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/08/2018 6:15 pm

Youre right about Accutane truly being a last resort, especially as you obviously had some difficulties whilst on it.

I would highly recommend cutting out dairy. I found doing so to be one of the most effective steps I made to help my skin.

MemberMember
(@turko)

Posted : 01/09/2018 2:39 pm

Stop eating dairy, but not only it. Stop eating gluten, gluten is probably worst than dairy, i was only cutting dairy and seeing no results. So, i decided to stop with gluten, which is very hard, this shit is in almost everything, but it works. And of course eat veggs and fruits everyday. Is also important taking Zinc and Vit D3 as supplementation, and the most important: BE PERSISTENT.