Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@enormoussin)

Posted : 01/08/2018 4:50 am

Ok so I have these products given by my dermatologist but I™m doing some research and I™m seeing that mixing benzoyl peroxide with tretoning cream is a no-no. 

Here is a picture for refrence

93C26C15-6C4C-4AD3-89A8-C4F8D20A7282.jpeg

I would like to know if I™m applying these products correctly.

In the morning I wash my face with the benzoyl peroxide and wait until my skin drys before I apply the topical lotion (10-15 min)

at night time I wash my face with Luke warm water over the sink by splashing my face with my hands. After that I rub small amounts of the tretinoin cream around my face and wait 30 minutes before I apply the topical lotion (even though my skin be dry as hell and peels like a b****. ) and that™s another thing, the topical lotion doesn™t really moisturize my skin. It gets very dry and flaky when I wake up half my skin peeling off my face I just wanna know if this is normal and if I am doing this whole routine correctly.

MemberMember
(@adaeze-tula)

Posted : 01/08/2018 12:43 pm

Hey! For my acne, I also had to use a combo of retin A (the same as tretinoin)and benzoyl to combat it. My derm told me that the two can be used together, but not at the same time. What I did that helped for me is that I washed my face in the morning with a cleanser, then my benzoyl wash for I think 30 secs. I literally counted. Then, I rinsed and applied my daytime moisturizer.

At night, I just washed my face with my cleanser, let my face dry for 15 mins, apply my retin A, then apply my night time moisturizer like 15-20 mins afterwards. This helps with the dryness and in my experience has never impacted the efficiency of the retin A so you could definitely try it. Also, grab an eye cream and a good lip balm as well because, at least for me, those two areas hurt the worst from the dryness.

The peeling and dryness from retin A is 100% normal and in my experience, after using it for a few months, it gets less noticiable and irritating but never goes away until you completely stop. Remember, retin A takes months to work and worked best for me like 6 months in. The benzoyl worked like 3 months in. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/08/2018 1:12 pm

8 hours ago, EnormousSin said:
Ok so I have these products given by my dermatologist but I™m doing some research and I™m seeing that mixing benzoyl peroxide with tretoning cream is a no-no. 

In the morning I wash my face with the benzoyl peroxide and wait until my skin drys before I apply the topical lotion (10-15 min)

at night time I wash my face with Luke warm water over the sink by splashing my face with my hands. After that I rub small amounts of the tretinoin cream around my face and wait 30 minutes before I apply the topical lotion (even though my skin be dry as hell and peels like a b****. ) and that™s another thing, the topical lotion doesn™t really moisturize my skin. It gets very dry and flaky when I wake up half my skin peeling off my face I just wanna know if this is normal and if I am doing this whole routine correctly.

You can apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning and Retin-A at night. But not together because they can be very irritating and drying. Can I ask what the clindamycin is for?

MemberMember
(@enormoussin)

Posted : 01/08/2018 3:10 pm

1 hour ago, oyinkan98 said:
10 hours ago, EnormousSin said:

You can apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning and Retin-A at night. But not together because they can be very irritating and drying. Can I ask what the clindamycin is for?

Thats the topical lotion she gave to me but when I apply it kinda burns my face I™m guessing I™m putting too much to combat the dryness and peeling

2 hours ago, Adaeze Tula said:

Hey! For my acne, I also had to use a combo of retin A (the same as tretinoin) and benzoyl to combat it. My derm told me that the two can be used together, but not at the same time. What I did that helped for me is that I washed my face in the morning with a cleanser, then my benzoyl wash for I think 30 secs. I literally counted. Then, I rinsed and applied my daytime moisturizer.

At night, I just washed my face with my cleanser, let my face dry for 15 mins, apply my retin A, then apply my night time moisturizer like 15-20 mins afterwards. This helps with the dryness and in my experience has never impacted the efficiency of the retin A so you could definitely try it. Also, grab an eye cream and a good lip balm as well because, at least for me, those two areas hurt the worst from the dryness.

The peeling and dryness from retin A is 100% normal and in my experience, after using it for a few months, it gets less noticiable and irritating but never goes away until you completely stop. Remember, retin A takes months to work and worked best for me like 6 months in. The benzoyl worked like 3 months in. Hope this helps!

I use this stuff when I™m in the shower (Benzoyl Peroxide acne wash) I apply it to my face then let the water wash it off my face. I will definitely try the cleanser then benzoyl peroxide after. Should I stick with the topical lotion she gave me to moisturize my face because when I apply that it kinda burns my face.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/08/2018 5:12 pm

It's just weird to me that a derm will prescribe BP and clindamycin separately when they could have just prescribed Benzaclin (BP/Clindamycin in one product).

MemberMember
(@adaeze-tula)

Posted : 01/09/2018 2:23 pm

I feel like if something burns, then it's not a good match for your skin... maybe use a moisturizer like cetaphil that is ph balanced and more calming?