Notifications
Clear all

Can antibiotics cause acne?

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 01/06/2018 3:05 pm

As per title, I have used antibiotics previously and I'm back on them again. I'm on them 4 months now but the acne is on a rollercoaster, with ups and downs but lately over the past month it's just got gradually worse and worse.

I'm aware of resistance issues, is there any point taking them anymore?

Oxytetracycline.

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 01/06/2018 3:20 pm

No there is no way that antibiotics can cause more acne. Antibiotics kills the bacteria that is responsible for infections, nothing more.

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/06/2018 3:28 pm

5 minutes ago, Duperele said:

No there is no way that antibiotics can cause more acne. Antibiotics kills the bacteria that is responsible for infections, nothing more.

I agree, they shouldn't cause acne. Antibiotics kill bacteria which are part of the acne chain reaction. If this works, acne should go down, at least temporarily as long as they are in.

It is possible your acne is caused by something else as well... like fungi or who knows.

If they are not doing anything, do not take them.

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/07/2018 7:15 am

Yeah I cant see antibiotics directly being a cause of acne, unless youre allergic to a certain ingredient. However, if theyre proving ineffective after a prolonged period of time, I cant see any reason to continue taking them. The less antibiotics you take over time, the better really as they can only ever be a temporary fix at best.

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/07/2018 7:51 am

29 minutes ago, Im_mattw said:

Yeah I cant see antibiotics directly being a cause of acne, unless youre allergic to a certain ingredient. However, if theyre proving ineffective after a prolonged period of time, I cant see any reason to continue taking them. The less antibiotics you take over time, the better really as they can only ever be a temporary fix at best.

Well said. But in bad cases, all that may be left is logn term anti, or tane. No good choices, really. Chances for long term severe effects form tane are even worse.

Antibiotics target bacteria, and have some side effects, we know how they work... you can cycle. tane, we don't know how it works, 200 + side effects, new ones added yearly, very systemic- does not target just bacteria, but cell division in general, gene expression apoptosis in every organ.