Notifications
Clear all

My acne scars (and questions)

MemberMember
(@dragonix)

Posted : 01/03/2018 6:07 pm

Finally got rid of my acne but got left with these scars.  From reading the guide on the site, I know they are not hypertrophic but I'm confused whether they are ice pick scars, rolling scars or box scars since they look to have elements of all of them.  Also what treatment do you guys think would be most effective?  I was thinking CO2 or fraxel laser but alot of people on here seem to suggest subcision but not sure if they're even good for my type of scars.  

20180103_130539.jpg

20180103_122003.jpg

20180103_121702.jpg

20180103_121532.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/03/2018 9:27 pm

3 hours ago, Dragonix said:

I'm confused whether they are ice pick scars, rolling scars or box scars since they look to have elements of all of them. Also what treatment do you guys think would be most effective? I was thinking CO2 or fraxel laser but alot of people on here seem to suggest subcision but not sure if they're even good for my type of scars.

You mostly have rolling and boxcar scars, which makes you an ideal candidate for subcision. I even see a few tethered scars in the 2nd and 4th pics. However, your scars aren't too deep so I ain't sure how much improvement you will get from subcision, which isn't all that effective on shallow scars. That's not to say it's ineffective, just don't expect to see a huge improvement.

I personally would recommend you get Sculptra, which is a collagen-inducing filler. Wait for about a month for it to settle and then get Infini or Intensif, which is radiofrequency microneedling.

Dragonix liked
MemberMember
(@dragonix)

Posted : 01/04/2018 8:05 am

10 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:
You mostly have rolling and boxcar scars, which makes you an ideal candidate for subcision. I even see a few tethered scars in the 2nd and 4th pics. However, your scars aren't too deep so I ain't sure how much improvement you will get from subcision, which isn't all that effective on shallow scars. That's not to say it's ineffective, just don't expect to see a huge improvement.

I personally would recommend you get Sculptra, which is a collagen-inducing filler. Wait for about a month for it to settle and then get Infini or Intensif, which is radiofrequency microneedling.

Great, thanks so much for the reocmmendations. Do you mean to get subcision followed by sculptra and infini? Haven't heard of the last two terms you mentioned but I'll look into those. What do you think of Fractional CO2 laser? It was recommended by my dermatologist and he doesn't even own a laser machine so he's not trying to sell me anything.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/04/2018 9:46 am

Fractional is like microneedling with a laser,rf microneedling uses actual needles and emits rf from the very end on the insulated needle.

every treatment carrys risk but i think a lot would tell you or pick rf microneedling over laser or anything that uses laser to penetrate the skin.

your skin is not severe,depends on where you live how much things cost.subcision is affordable but filler is expensive,you could do suction instead of filler and cut costs down.

if you opt for laser ask them to use lower power and less pass™s.i read horror storys of fractional where patient is burnt because the power and duration of the laser is too long and burns their skin.

even rf should be done lower power as your skin isnt all that bad and the deficiency is low.
:)

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/04/2018 2:35 pm

6 hours ago, Dragonix said:

What do you think of Fractional CO2 laser? It was recommended by my dermatologist and he doesn't even own a laser machine so he's not trying to sell me anything.

No, I don't recommend laser in general, and certainly not CO2 in particular. If you must get laser, then consider getting

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/04/2018 6:57 pm

For you I would recommend peels. You have surface texture issues. These are not deep pits, ... a few icepicks. It's mainly rolling scars and box cars.
Treatment should look like this.

Subcision of pits with filler, especially sculptra is good in a case like yours (you will need 3 treatments spaced out).

RF Microneedling, whatever brand (ie infini - need 3 treatments).

TCA Cross to raise icepicks (several are needed).

Peels for the texture of the skin, for ethnic skin get this done by a doctor or med spa. You need to pre-treat with hydroquinone and retin a to avoid hyperpigmentation. Same with Laser if you choose to get erbium yag resurfacing as a substitute.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 01/05/2018 12:53 am

I always advocate SAFER techniques before diving head first and go all-in right away. A good balance of safety and effectiveness is subcision and fillers for your rolling scars. I would notrecommend Sculptra as a first time filler because it is NOT reversible if you hate it. It is always wise to use a hyaluronic acid filler to see if you like the look first. If you have more "surface" scars, that's evenmorereason to not use Sculptra because it needs to be injected deeply. Sculptra works in a completely different way than hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm fillers.

I would be very cautious about lasers and infini because of your ethnic / darker skin type. Exhaust your other options before turning to lasers.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/05/2018 9:24 pm

I disagree ^

The OP needs Subcision, this works for any skin type.

Infini is made for ethnic skin, it protects the epidermis! Dr. Lim treats even African American patients this way.

Peels are safe by a local practitioner familiar with the skin type if the prep is done I mentioned above.

Sculptra is injected deeply for wide scars such as this and HA filler will do nothing for his scar type, do you see it's mainly surface texture. Why would you need to dissolve something that does not cause bumps (superficial injection), as it's injected deep derm/sub q and spread throughout. Sure inject HA all over your face and see the cost $$$$$. You can avoid all filler and do cupping after subcisions if you wish.

Anyone who is ethnic should be cautious with this skin type because of hyperpigmentation and pre treat with skin lightening agents and retin a to avoid PIH. See someone who specializes in your skin type.

Laser is a last ditch effort, and is done under the care of a doctor who specializes in the skin type in question, peels work just as well, see the white papers under the faq , top of the scar solutions sub, and tca peels, click the link, first page there are dark Indian patients who had TCA peels and subcision.

MemberMember
(@dragonix)

Posted : 01/07/2018 12:54 am

Thanks for the very useful knowledge. I've been steered away from laser for now since it seems everyone agrees it's not good for my skin type and will try the other options mentioned. Will do some research on the suggestions and post some results for you guys.

MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 02/22/2018 9:39 pm

Hey man any update?