Notifications
Clear all

Considering accutane

MemberMember
(@riven)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:35 am

Hello everyone
straight to the point, if i go on accutane now ( i am less than a month away from being 20) and lets say it hopefully clears out, and i know i am overthinking this but lets say its supposed to clear by itself in my mid twenties, would that fact be affected by accutane ? Like if i relapsed again before the time it supposedly clears by itself would i still be breaking out if i dont do another course ? does anyone know what im saying ?

MemberMember
(@riven)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:03 am

Anyone ?

MemberMember
(@vtr)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:25 am

I see what you are trying to get at, that shouldnt have an effect. The only decision you need to make right now, rather than thinking 5 years + ahead, is whether your acne is severe and/or persistent enough to warrant the potentially serious effects of accutane. Only you can make that decision. I, after many years of struggling, took the leap and and am just finishing up my first month of accutane.

I am 23. There is a chance I could have cleared up by 25, 28, 30, who knows. But I was confident that this was both unlikely (given that most people have grown out of acne by now and none of my friends have acne) and that 3+ more years of this horrible condition was not something I wanted to put myself through.

Your chances of relapse would bein line with the various studies out there.

I hope this helps. All the best with your decision.

Riven liked
MemberMember
(@riven)

Posted : 01/03/2018 5:57 am

1 hour ago, vtr said:

I see what you are trying to get at, that shouldnt have an effect. The only decision you need to make right now, rather than thinking 5 years + ahead, is whether your acne is severe and/or persistent enough to warrant the potentially serious effects of accutane. Only you can make that decision. I, after many years of struggling, took the leap and and am just finishing up my first month of accutane.

I am 22. There is a chance I could have cleared up by 25, 28, 30, who knows. But I was confident that this was both unlikely (given that most people have grown out of acne by now and none of my friends have acne) and that 3+ more years of this horrible condition was not something I wanted to put myself through.

Your chances of relapse would bein line with the various studies out there.

Well i am completely not ok, havent been going out at all, i dont wanna meet new people and i dont wanna get out of the house anymore, stop going to the gym which makes me even more sad, stopped video chatting with my gf ..., like a month it was so bad on my right cherk that i couldnt sleep on it at cause it hurts, tbh i have a beard i am letting it grow and i havent seen the pimples under the beard yet cause it probably looks sad, anyways i ll be going home soon and going to a derm and basically gonna lay it out there about the accutane

MemberMember
(@vtr)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:58 pm

9 hours ago, Riven said:
10 hours ago, vtr said:

I see what you are trying to get at, that shouldn™t have an effect. The only decision you need to make right now, rather than thinking 5 years + ahead, is whether your acne is severe and/or persistent enough to warrant the potentially serious effects of accutane. Only you can make that decision. I, after many years of struggling, took the leap and and am just finishing up my first month of accutane.

I am 22. There is a chance I could have cleared up by 25, 28, 30, who knows. But I was confident that this was both unlikely (given that most people have grown out of acne by now and none of my friends have acne) and that 3+ more years of this horrible condition was not something I wanted to put myself through.

Your chances of relapse would be in line with the various studies out there.

Well i am completely not ok, haven™t been going out at all, i dont wanna meet new people and i dont wanna get out of the house anymore, stop going to the gym which makes me even more sad, stopped video chatting with my gf ..., like a month it was so bad on my right cherk that i couldn™t sleep on it at cause it hurts, tbh i have a beard i am letting it grow and i havent seen the pimples under the beard yet cause it probably looks sad, anyways i ll be going home soon and going to a derm and basically gonna lay it out there about the accutane

I am no dermatologist but to me you sound like you would be great candidate for accutane, so you can get your life back. Let the derm know how persistent your acne is, everything you've tried unsuccessfully before and how it is making you feel. Let us know how you get on :) 

MemberMember
(@riven)

Posted : 01/07/2018 6:36 am

I would love to hear more opinions please

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/07/2018 6:49 am

I think I see what youre saying. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if your skin will clear itself by a set age.
Personally I was on Accutane when I was about 22/23, Im now 27. It worked very well, although with some hefty side effects. However, my skin stayed clear for about 2 years before the acne returned. I was then back to square one, I didnt go back on Accutane as the potential harm wasnt worth being clear for a relatively short period of time in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@riven)

Posted : 01/07/2018 11:04 am

4 hours ago, Im_mattw said:

I think I see what youre saying. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if your skin will clear itself by a set age.
Personally I was on Accutane when I was about 22/23, Im now 27. It worked very well, although with some hefty side effects. However, my skin stayed clear for about 2 years before the acne returned. I was then back to square one, I didnt go back on Accutane as the potential harm wasnt worth being clear for a relatively short period of time in my opinion.

Lets say the skin will clear itself by a set age, will going on accutane before that time affect the fact that you might clear up in that set age ?

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/07/2018 11:17 am

Thats impossible to say in my opinion.

Going on Accutane may or may not effect your skin clearing up naturally long term. If you knew for sure that your skin was going to be clear by a set age naturally, then I certainly wouldnt recommend Accutane due to the potential serious side effects.