1st off - yes I know people hate this drug

- yes I know about the media releases regarding bone loss

now with that said...

Any women out there on Depo experiencing oilier skin,

and breakouts due to the shot?

This is the only side effect I have had since being on this

type of BC...(11 months and counting)

It has helped me tremendously with my migraines, pms,

and overall well being!!!...but sometimes the good comes with the bad...

breakouts...

has anyone had success with over the counter, prescription or other

options to help with oil production and acne while on depo...

thanks all!

MemberMember
(@dionne-walkerntlworld-com)

Posted : 12/10/2004 3:55 pm

I had the Depo jab for about nine months.. it made my periods go mad..bleeding every few days (sorry lads!).. And it made me break out horribly, all the time.

I gave up after nine months and countless promises from my GP that it'd all settle down.. it never did and I hated it.

After that, I took Dianette BCP for 2 or 3 years. It did wonders for my skin. It never cleared it completely, but it was a drastic improvment. I didn't get any horrible side-effects either.

My GP's just taken me off Dianette though. Apparently you're not supposed to be on it for more than a couple of years at a time (probably due to it being expensive for the health service!). After quite some research into BCPs, I asked her if I could try Brevinor, which she gave me.. it's looking good so far, but I don't know if that's down to the BCP, or the insane amounts of products I'm using on my face!

The products I'm using are:

- Boots (UK chemist) Acne Relief Herbal tablets

- Biore face wash (with salicylic acid) / Neutrogena Clear Pore face wash (I've been using the Neutrogena face wash for ages, so I just use this and the Biore alternatley)

- 'Aknedoron' lotion (from Weleda UK), with Sulfur and essential oils

- Quinoderm cream (5% BP, but much gentler on my skin than Panoxyl 2.5% gel)

- Last but not least.. Neutrogena Oil Free moisturiser, with salicylic acid

I have no idea if it's just one of these products working, or if it's a combination of all of them..

I'll keep using them all for a couple of months and see how my skin is. If all's good, I'll start cutting them out, one by one, so I can see what's working and what's not.

My skin's certainly better at the minute, than it has been for about 15 years (since I was about 13).. so I'm happy for now

MemberMember
(@holl)

Posted : 12/11/2004 6:36 pm

The products I'm using are:

- Boots (UK chemist) Acne Relief Herbal tablets

- Biore face wash (with salicylic acid) / Neutrogena Clear Pore face wash (I've been using the Neutrogena face wash for ages, so I just use this and the Biore alternatley)

- 'Aknedoron' lotion (from Weleda UK), with Sulfur and essential oils

- Quinoderm cream (5% BP, but much gentler on my skin than Panoxyl 2.5% gel)

- Last but not least.. Neutrogena Oil Free moisturiser, with salicylic acid

Thanks for the recommendations!

I know Depo does a number on some people.

For me it has been fab-u-lous...except for the acne prone skin.

I guess if that's all I have to worry about...then I should keep my trap shut...

I just thought I would be starting to have clearer skin as I age...

I would like to think that in my late 30's this would all clear up...

sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/11/2004 6:48 pm

I've heard it can wreck havoc on acne. Can't you switch to another hormone therapy?

MemberMember
(@cflow)

Posted : 12/06/2006 11:10 pm

please look at this site on the negative effects of depo. i've posted it under multiple people topics, and it may be annoying but this is serious sh**

[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@queencrankybutt)

Posted : 01/17/2013 4:36 am

I Have been using Depo Provera since Nov. 1, 2012. For 3months I suffered massive acne to a point where water drops from the shower hurts my face. I tried every topical treatment that used to work on my face when i get few pimples. The approach didn't work well. So then i tried to change my diet, I avoided eating red meat, chicken and dairy products. I need my milk but i just have to settle with soy anyways the food that i avoided help me slightly. With the diet i started doing home remedy like few drops of teatree oil, honey and lemon every night to lightened my scars. This what works for me from the time i start my depo til now Jan. 17,2013. I know the remedy that i did works for me, and i hope it works for you, things we do isn't for everybody. Uhhh also i'm still using water base gel Benzoyl Peroxide (Keratolytic Gel 10%). Anyways This coming March 2013 I will discontinue Depo.

MemberMember
(@rissababyy)

Posted : 03/23/2016 1:24 pm

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. My parents forced me to go on the depo shot in October of 2014. I got off it in June last year. Not having a period was nice and all but a month before having to go back to get the shot, I would bleed until I got it again. Who knew someone could bleed that much! I was constantly moody as well! My face had acne but it wasn't bad, nothing foundation couldn't cover. At first I thought the shot was clearing it but one morning I woke up with tiny little zits on my cheeks near my nose and all over my forehead. My forehead used to be clear. I've tried everything that I could but nothing worked. Does anyone know what I can do to make it go away or is it something I need to let time take its place? Helpppp. It's so ugly