Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eva_li

Acne Scars - My Journey - Subcision

11 minutes ago, eva_li said:

Haha, yeah, I recalled that already several times @Sirius Lee;) But while majority of my scars are shallow, there are a still fewer deeper rolling ones that the sub helped a bit (the filler did not much). But overall yes, I agree, you were right.

If you decide to get Infini or other RF device, I highly suggest you get Sculptra injected into the scars at least 4 weeks in advance. It takes about 4 weeks for Sculptra to start the collagen production. Infini will then add fuel to the fire, so to speak.

@Sirius Lee but isn't Sculptra meant to be injected deeply rather than superficially? What if she gets some lumps from it - isn't it too risky for such small scars? Or do you mean to put it deeper under the whole cheek area as Novick would do in some cases? Edited by Nina22

@Nina22

Sculptra alone is not effective for acne

Sculptra and Sculptra Aesthetic are not to be use in the dermis where the acne scar problem is.

However, we regularly use Sculptra simultaneously with CO2 laser resurfacing.

The Sculptra is placed first with a local anesthetic in it. This serves to anesthetize the area as well as create lift in the area of acne so the laser appears more effective.

However this is not a technique for anyone who does not have a high level of experience both with Sculptra and lasers.

SHOW LESS
Nathan Mayl, MD (retired) 
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon 

Sculptra and acne scars

Sculptra cvan improve temporarily the scars by gently volumizing the cheek skin and stretching the skin. It is not a filler that is injected under each scar separately. Your questions are very precise and you would need to be examined in person to answer them.Usually Sculptra is given in a series of 3 treatments 6 weeks apart and it may last up to 2 years.

Ronald Shelton, MD 
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon 
 43 reviews 

Sculptra is NOT a Treatment for Acne Scarring

I'm sorry to tell you but Sculptra is NOT a good solution for acne scarring. Unlike other fillers, Sculptra is intended to fill the DEEP tissues of the face as is commonly seen in runners, aging and in patients taking anti-HIV medications. It is not intended for superficial placement to lift minor folds, depressions or acne scars. You may want to get a second opinion before proceeding.

Peter A. Aldea, MD 
Memphis Plastic Surgeon 

Sculptra Fillers NYC | Sculptra Wrinkle Removal Manhattan, New York

Treatments for Lipoatrophy | ARTCTC

47 minutes ago, Nina22 said:
@Sirius Lee but isn't Sculptra meant to be injected deeply rather than superficially? What if she gets some lumps from it - isn't it too risky for such small scars? Or do you mean to put it deeper under the whole cheek area as Novick would do in some cases?

This has been addressed elsewhere. Yes, as with all fillers, there will always be a risk of lump/bumps/nodules (whatever you want to call it). However, while that has been a recurring theme in the past, our knowledge of Sculptra has since made a big stride. We know that better preparation of Sculptra mixture yields better results, less is always more, etc.

Plus, you usually need to go in for 3 sessions of Sculptra to get optimal result. However, you're getting only 1 session of Sculptra with Infini. I highly doubt that would give a rise to overabundance of collagen.

3 hours ago, totalbeautyaddict said:

I was told filler would not work! I think it only works on deep scars, not the shallow ones like you have.

Well, fillers are being widely used to smooth out wrinkles, which are likely much shallower than most pitted scars. Moreover, HA fillers are, by nature, volumizers. For acne scars, they're supposed to add volume to the pits, which are essentially a cavity created by a loss of collagen.

@totalbeautyaddict simple. I was put off by all the horror stories not only here, also on realself and other forums in my country. my impression from stories of people with acne scarring who got laser was: best case scenario= it did absolutely nothing. worst case scenario=permanent change in texture for the worse/permanent discolouration/volume loss/no change to scarring.
I dont recall reading many stories (if any at all) that would say - laser rid me of scars, yayyy!

However, Sirius lee often says that collagen production peaks at 3 months and continues on for 3 more. Remember that my 1st sub was not even 3 months ago and second one 5 weeks ago. I think i am still going to see further improvements from both the subs and the tca cross in the coming months.

It was just the filler experience that brought me to desperation. i dont regret the money spent on the previous treatments a bit. FYI, I e-mailed the doctor and he offered me to come back to his office within 3 months and he would correct the filler for free. Quite nice of him.

Wow just read the whole thread, what a ride! To the op hopefully you are seeing results now.  I have a few questions for the other vet members. Her doc said that microneedling like infini will destroy the filler. Yet other docs like davin lim say that no fillers are disturbed by microneedling, where can i find thile info saying that fillers are not destroyed by microneedling rf.
thank you.
to the op: how would you evaluate your results as to where you are now??

Nice info on Sculptura, BA. I looked it up from the manufacturer site for more info. Eva, collagen takes 4-6 weeks to grow. So it probably peaks in 1.5 months and not 3 months. As you age it takes longer. I dont think you've had that much time pass yet. I got subcision done along with filler. The filler has lumps but I was told to gently massage them when I got home and the next few days to help spread it out. Eventually, it will fill around the space by itself. So, don't get freaked out. It's not like breast implants and silicone. The filler comes from cow protein and will be broken down after a few months.

In 2 months I will see if my own collagen has took root. I will get more subcision done. Why Dermapen after filler? I am suprised whoever did it for you did not tell you to wait and refuse to do it. You are introducing more inflammation and damage to the areas that have already started to heal. What's done is done but wait a few weeks and let your body do its thing. You can get Botox and subcision from other doctors besides plastic surgeons and derms. It's not relegated to the medical doctors in many states.

Edited by runnyeggs

On 1/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, incepticon said:

I live in Denmark, actually just 100 km away from Emil Henningsen's clinic.  About two weeks ago i posted this thread:

Wherein i explain my situation. To cut it short, i've got 3 weeks left of my 9 months long accutante journey. And i also consider undergoing subcision+tca. If you look at the link, you'll see that my scars are worse, but situated on the cheek. 

Did Davin Lin personally recommend Emil Henningsen to you? I would really love to follow your journey, since i needed some opinion on Emil Henningsen. I've watched his videos on youtube and examined his webpage http://emilhenningsen.dk/ thoroughly. I think you are in good hands with him since he has trained under doctor Chu and his specialty is acne scar revision. 

man I am jealous. you actually dont have THAT SO severe scarring like the rest of us has. I am going to follow your journey with Dr. Emil. hopefully you will get a better treatment. best of luck mate!

Dear eva_li, Did you correct the filler with Dr.Emil? Please update. Now after time has passed, what do you think about your experience with Dr.Chu? Was it worth doing Sub without filler? In my case no( my scars are similar to yours.

Hey I also had 2 subscisions done with dr. Emil,

1st without filler,

2nd with filler,

but after half a year I see no difference compared to how it was 2-3 years ago (before I started the scar repair journey)

Its likely that if u do 10 sessions it will get better, but that'd be a fortune

Edited by rakimaki99