Notifications
Clear all

Trying to start a family but scared to go off BC

MemberMember
(@lalala79)

Posted : 12/28/2017 8:25 pm

Hi, me and my husband have decided we want to start a family soon but I am terrified of my acne coming back. I've been on ortho tri cyclen since I was 18 and 36 now. And even on the pill, my skin is still very oily and I get small pimples now and then but used to get moderate cystic acne when I was a teen. I have been doing some research and have found women say that weaning off the pill and going on a supplement called Vitex helps. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is Vitex safe to use even if you don't know what hormones are imbalanced and to use straight after going off the pill? Any other advice from trying to prevent acne while going off the pill? I also plan to eat clean. Thanks for any help

MemberMember
(@chipperend)

Posted : 01/03/2018 5:56 pm

Hi Lalala
Thought I would comment as no one has responded yet. I came off the pill back in May/June 2017. I too wanted to start a family but was terrified of coming off and having my acne come back, especially after reading horror stories of peoples acne coming back even worse than before. I finally decided that it was time to come off. I read lots about others weaning off, so I did the same. The weaning process took about 6 months, until I finally stopped in May/June. I feel like the weaning process, using the acne.org regimen and taking a good omega 3 supplement and zinc has really
made difference. I was using the acne.org regimen for years but when coming off decided to be more strict with it to prevent any breakouts. My worst breakout since has been 4 spots at a time which cleared up after 1-2 weeks. Now, I break out ocassioanlly normally during my time of the month. I actually feel a lot better being off bcp now, although my moods were up and down to begin with, I dont get any headaches now. I hope this helps
x