Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane 80 mg

MemberMember
(@chobani03)

Posted : 12/21/2017 1:34 pm

Okay, so ive had acne since i hit puberty but it wasnt bad at all and it wasnt noticeable until about 8 months ago. I went to the doctor right away and was prescribed everything within the months leading up until now. I used all my topicals religiously and washed my face every morning and night, i tried to change my diet, I literally tried everything. So i went to the derm to get prescribed accutane since it seemed to me like it was a cure. My insurance wouldnt cover accutane without me being on antibiotics for several months which i did not want to do because of health reasons. I only took the anitibiotic for 2 months and stopped cold turkey right before accutane.So i paid out of pocket for it.

Since then i have been using myorisan 40mg one in the morning one at night. Intitially i was scared of the intial breakout but i really do not care since i should be clear in 4 months. I am on day 4 of my course and all ive noticed was slightly dry lips and pretty dry skin. I broke out a little but i dont know if its because i stopped anyibiotics cold turkey or because of the accutane. Hopefully it goes well and my acne is cured. Ill be posting here probably once a week.
Also if anyone has any questions just reply to me and ill answer right away

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/02/2018 10:35 am

My advice would be to not take accutane at all - are you aware of all the side effects and that they may be permanent?
If you are going to take accutane I suggest you keep the dose low and take for longer if need be.
At the very first sign of any trouble: headaches , back pain, mental health issues, mood disorders, decreased libido, erectile dysfunction(males), suicidal ideation, then you really need to seek help and don't let your derm tell you that this is ok. These are all sigs that you should not be taking
accutane.
Familiarise yourself with the PIL and remember that it is not complete.
Remember that these side effects may be permanent.
I believe that it makes sense to taper down and not go cold turkey but this is just my personal opinion.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/02/2018 8:21 pm

9 hours ago, hatetane said:
My advice would be to not take accutane at all - are you aware of all the side effects and that they may be permanent?
If you are going to take accutane I suggest you keep the dose low and take for longer if need be.
At the very first sign of any trouble: headaches , back pain, mental health issues, mood disorders, decreased libido, erectile dysfunction(males), suicidal ideation, then you really need to seek help and don't let your derm tell you that this is ok. These are all sigs that you should not be taking
accutane.
Familiarise yourself with the PIL and remember that it is not complete.
Remember that these side effects may be permanent.
I believe that it makes sense to taper down and not go cold turkey but this is just my personal opinion.

He is right. I would also advise not to take at all. I have had a severe reaction, even though only 40mg.

If you must, take no more than 40mg. I've seen people taking over 120 or so...

It is now proven dry eyes and night vision changes can well be permanent, amongst others. New effects keep being added.

Roche does not know how this drug works- not fully.

MemberMember
(@chobani03)

Posted : 03/19/2019 10:46 pm

80 mg is considered a high dose for my weightand at the time i was 165 pounds. Its always best to do what your dermatologists recommend but, if you are worried then you should talk to him/her about it and if they tell you its safe then i would go with it.

It might be helpful to ease into the 80 mg because i have heard that if you ease into it then you will have less of an initial breakout. But i also know that the higher the dose the higher the chance of your acne never coming back. I went straight into my dose and stayed on that for 8 months. Its been 7 months since my course had finished and my acne has not returned. Its always better to try and to not stay on it for too long because there could possibly be side effects. But, from my experience you shouldnt wrry too much about it.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:21 AM, fiksi said:

He is right. I would also advise not to take at all. I have had a severe reaction, even though only 40mg.

If you must, take no more than 40mg. I've seen people taking over 120 or so...

It is now proven dry eyes and night vision changes can well be permanent, amongst others. New effects keep being added.

Roche does not know how this drug works- not fully.

Well i finished my course 7 months ago and everything seems to be fine. My skin is clear and the only lingering side effect that i still have is my face tends to flush now and get really red whenever i'm upset or embarrassed/ nervous.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:09 AM, hatetane said:

You need to go back to your derm. the side effects from accutane can be permanent and having such a high dose will only make it more likely
that you will experience these side effects.
80mg per day for your weight is not correct.

Well it turns out that im fine. I was on that dose for 8 months and thankfully everything is well 7 months post- accutane. im very happy with the results!