Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bella babe

ACCUTANE AND INITIAL BREAKOUT!

i was just wondering how u guys take care of the zits that u get during the coarse of accutane, especially the initial breakout? cuz ur not supposed to pick right......cuz that will make it worse and cause scarring? and ur not supposed to put any chemical stuff on it, cuz that would irritate it and make it worse? so what am i supposed to do? i just started yesturday, and im just askin this question ahead of time so ill know what to do. ive heard that you're just supposed to let them fall off??? is that right? and if so.....how long does that usually take?

i really hope someone reads this soon! thanks guys!

i never really had an initial breakout, i dont think most people do - they just think they do. but any pimples i got i would pop if they had a head and never had much problem, just dont force anything under the surface for obvious reasons.

i never really had an initial breakout, i dont think most people do - they just think they do. but any pimples i got i would pop if they had a head and never had much problem, just dont force anything under the surface for obvious reasons.

Definatly don't pick them. I'd honestly say it's best just to let the medication run its course unlss your prescribed Prednisone, or however its spelled.

alright thanks......yea i have heard about using klaron....and i was prescribed that a couple years ago and i think i still have it......but i have super oily skin right now, and my acne isn't bad at all.....so maybe it'll just bring out little ones that i can easily pop without scarring......but im gonna try my best to just let accutane do its thing.

Let me just say that my daughter got 32 zits the day after she started accutane.  It was definately initial and definately a breakout.  The only thing  that made them subside was prednisone. 

As to bella babes question, I think you can use mild topicals to spot treat right at first especially if the skin is not dry yet.  My daughter was mega oily at first along with the breakout so I think she probably could have used something.  Some docs prescribe a topical antibiotic to help control the breakouts like Klaron.

I spot-treated with BP, but I'm not convinced it did anything. I did perform an experiment, however, on two whiteheads. You always hear that you're not supposed to pick. Well, I had two whiteheads that cropped up at exactly the same time. I decided to pop one and leave the other. Well, the one I popped healed quicker, and now (a week later) they look exactly the same. Both healing up and leaving the usual red mark, but neither one scarred at all. That said, I waited until they were fully formed and I didn't gouge into my face or anything. I was really gentle.

BTW, I did have an itial breakout and it started on Day Two. Another breakout in the third week. They're different from normal breakouts- they crop all at once overnight (all forming a head at the same time) where it used to be that they would come up at different times. Hope this helps....berry

thanks a lot berry......and thats a really clever experiment! but yea i was gonna just wait until they were fully formed and also be super gentle if i picked them.

how many mg's are u on, and how many were u on when u started??

whatever you do.. don't pick! ever! seriously, it won't be worth it. you never know when they're going to leave scars- just because berry's zit didn't leave a scar when he/she popped it doesn't mean yours won't. also, your skin is more fragile on accutane. your acne will almost certainly go away eventually, since you're on it... if you get an indented scar it's so much worse, since it's there forever. even red marks can last a ridiculously long time.

I'm on 40 mg and have been from the start (I'm on Day 35). Hope this helps....I know people are really divided on this issue. I just prefer to pop em as it makes them go away quicker-- really have not scarred from any of them....Have a good one, berry

hey boston50,

what was the strength of your daughter's dosage.

32 zits the next day sounds very extreme.

Was it the only initial breakout or did she get future such breakouts as well...

thanks guys for all ur advice, i guess ill just see how my skin reacts to accutane.....and take it from there, but im really gonna try my hardest not to pick......which will be extremely difficult considering i have a pretty bad picking problem, but hopefully i can resist and just let things go away on their own.

thanks again!