Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welsh Wizard

Advice on using tanning booths

I was in work the other day and talking about my skin and one of my mates who I work with suggested using a tanning booth saying he has a friend who has really bad acne but the tanning booth helps it. A couple of things concern me though:

1. He is suggesting going once a month, for 4 minutes a time. I think this is an ok length of time, and will probably not cause that much damage. What do you think?

2. Secondly, whenever I go on holiday, I tend to burn. If I use a tan booth, will I experience the same sort of burning?

Cheers

WW

i don't think once a month for 4 minute will do anything at all (good or bad).

i know that tanning helps my acne for the short term but you would need more than that.

i don't think once a month for 4 minute will do anything at all (good or bad).

i know that tanning helps my acne for the short term but you would need more than that.

My Derm has told me to avoid the sun completely, and especially tanning beds for two reasons. Tanning dries out the skin and may make your acne better in the short term but as it dries the skin out it makes you glands produce more oil which leads to worse acne in the long run. Also tanning beds which were thought to be safer for the skin than natural tanning are actually much worse for it...tanning is just plain bad for your skin, worsens acne, direclty causes wrinkles and premature agin and can cause skin cancer...not worth it. 85% of wrinkles are caused by sun damage, tanning IS skin damage...I have fair skin and wear an SPF of 30 on may face daily and during the summer where 45+ on my body...

Tanning helps my skin too...but I think the only thing it does is makes your skin darker, dries it a little bit, so that even red marks are not visible...but it does make acne worse after some time...

I think the only way the sun can help you is if you did like me 2 summers ago.

I spent 2 months with a feriend at the swimming pool. I'm really white but I looked like a Native American...and my acne were gone and skin felt normal and everything...I also spent a lot of time IN the pool, in the chlorine water.....I never got the big break out after that...just the usual one...

but, unfortunately, it'd not summer, so...

For a couple of years I did tan as my method to control acne. It worked pretty well, but it is a bad idea, as tanning has detrimental long-term consequences. But, just for informational purposes, this was - for me - the best way by far:

1. Get an unlimited monthly membership. (This is often cheaper than buying 12 individual tans)

2. Go every other day for seven minutes on a thirty minute bed.

I found that regular short exposures were far more effective than widely spaced long ones. Plus, with the shorter exposures you never get that deeply tanned weirdo look.

PS: I am a big fan of Dan's Regimen