Notifications
Clear all

[Log] Accutane 30mg/day, 65kg M 17

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/15/2017 8:15 pm

Just popped my first 30mg claravis.

this log will hopefully provide some insight on Accutane after Differin and antibiotics. I™ve been on Differin 0.3% for 12 weeks and it hasn™t really worked. I had a terrible IB for about 6 weeks starting from week 2 and then just regular moderate acne afterwards. Got it under control with Minocycline for the past 2 weeks but it wasn™t working as well as it did a few years ago, so here I am.

Dont want to post pics but acne is mild to moderate, currently predominantly on my cheeks and jaw. Lots of red marks and a few actives. 2 occasional recurring cysts on where dimples would be if I had them on each cheek.

also have moderate chest and back acne that doesn™t really bother me. But it will be great to get it under control with Accutane.

i may update daily, weekly, or monthly depending on how well everything goes lol! Feel free to share your own experiences :)

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/18/2017 1:06 am

Im currently on Day 4 (pretty much) and I have had some side effects.

First, maybe some lip drying but still very minor
second, my joints. They feel fine, but they dont sound great. I feel like I can hear them grinding sometimes and they seem to be popping quite a lot. One time today I took a step and my knee and foot both cracked. I just now scratched my lip and while bringing my hand down to my phone my wrist cracked. This Im kinda worried about so I started taking fish oil this morning.
third, I may have some minor lower back pain. Then again, Ive surfed 2 ones in the last 2 days after not surfing for weeks, so there is that.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/19/2017 1:47 am

End of day 4, gotta update:

im considering stopping Accutane. My sides havent changed, I still have no pain and just popping, and my back pain went away. But the popping really f**** worries me. I can deal with permanent dry eyes, dry lips, fuck even stomach issues and depression. But joint issues and being in pain my whole life/not being able to be active? Im not sure if thats a risk I can take. And even if I dont get it Ill live wondering if one day its going to creep up on me.

i think Im gonna finish 2 weeks and see if I still have popping/joint pain.

supplementing with vitamin D, Calcium, fish oil

Ive been reading every post possible about the joint issues, and no one really knows WTF is going on. As is the case with many of the side effects. Its honestly crazy to me that this drug is legal. It seems impossible to have no long term side effects/ negative effect on joints, liver, body

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 12/20/2017 6:57 am

On 12/19/2017 at 6:47 AM, 808toms said:

End of day 4, gotta update:

im considering stopping Accutane. My sides havent changed, I still have no pain and just popping, and my back pain went away. But the popping really f**** worries me. I can deal with permanent dry eyes, dry lips, fuck even stomach issues and depression. But joint issues and being in pain my whole life/not being able to be active? Im not sure if thats a risk I can take. And even if I dont get it Ill live wondering if one day its going to creep up on me.

i think Im gonna finish 2 weeks and see if I still have popping/joint pain.

supplementing with vitamin D, Calcium, fish oil

Ive been reading every post possible about the joint issues, and no one really knows WTF is going on. As is the case with many of the side effects. Its honestly crazy to me that this drug is legal. It seems impossible to have no long term side effects/ negative effect on joints, liver, body

It sounds like you know how bad this drug is so why are you still taking it?

Don't be fooled into thinking side effects are rare or temporary.

Makes me despair when so many people say there is a small bunch of scaremongers trying to stop people taking accutane.

There are thousands of people who have only bad stuff to say about accutane - there is a reason for that don't you think? Personally
I am just trying to save someone from the hell I have experienced.

Follow your instincts and stop taking this crap!

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/21/2017 2:38 am

19 hours ago, hatetane said:
It sounds like you know how bad this drug is so why are you still taking it?

Don't be fooled into thinking side effects are rare or temporary.

Makes me despair when so many people say there is a small bunch of scaremongers trying to stop people taking accutane.

There are thousands of people who have only bad stuff to say about accutane - there is a reason for that don't you think? Personally
I am just trying to save someone from the hell I have experienced.

Follow your instincts and stop taking this crap!

Its quite a dangerous drug. However I am going to take it for 2 weeks and assess my joints then. Since the joint issues onset so rapidly, it seems different than most who had long term sides. Im also supplementing a LOT. Im going to be smart about it and pray every day that I am a lucky one.. thank you for your concern!

Day 7:

on day 7, and Im on winter break so I really dont care about my acne right now. With that said, I have 7 pustules forming on my left cheek, and none on my right. Very strange indeed.

As far as sides, the joint popping continues to get more prevalent. Im getting mild pain/maybe just uncomfortableness? due to the popping. Also mild back pain.Today I started supplementing with Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM/Hyaluronic Acid and milk thistle in addition to what Ive been on (fish oil/vitamin d). Getting quite a bit of gas from the glucosamine so I know its in there doing something lol!

if I clear up, Ill likely dose down to 20mg for a month and if still clear I will stop (ahead of cumulative dose - I dont buy into that)

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 12/21/2017 5:07 pm

14 hours ago, 808toms said:
Its quite a dangerous drug. However I am going to take it for 2 weeks and assess my joints then. Since the joint issues onset so rapidly, it seems different than most who had long term sides. Im also supplementing a LOT. Im going to be smart about it and pray every day that I am a lucky one.. thank you for your concern!

Day 7:

on day 7, and Im on winter break so I really dont care about my acne right now. With that said, I have 7 pustules forming on my left cheek, and none on my right. Very strange indeed.

As far as sides, the joint popping continues to get more prevalent. Im getting mild pain/maybe just uncomfortableness? due to the popping. Also mild back pain.Today I started supplementing with Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM/Hyaluronic Acid and milk thistle in addition to what Ive been on (fish oil/vitamin d). Getting quite a bit of gas from the glucosamine so I know its in there doing something lol!

if I clear up, Ill likely dose down to 20mg for a month and if still clear I will stop (ahead of cumulative dose - I dont buy into that)

Sure - good luck to you and please keep us up-dated.
I only want to make sure that everyone is informed - after that it's all about choice.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/23/2017 12:53 pm

Day 9: Won™t be updating here until 30 days ish probably, or if i run into a complication that makes me stop the treatment. Been hanging out on the subreddit where it™s very active and supportive! Anyone feel free to come by.

Acne wise, in the first few days I would get 3 cystish pustules a day. Now I get maybe 1 a day. But the old ones haven™t left yet so it looks progressively worse. I don™t think that these are an IB, but I™m not sure if I™m going to get one. Or it may be the IB and just subdued due to mino and differin (side effects came on quickly too)

Side effects: popping of joints seems to get a little worse every day :/ . Lower back pain is bothersome at the worst. I can live with both of them and still function, surf, walk around etc.. I recently upped my fish oil dose and added turmeric into my supplements so hopefully that will do something. Other than that I have the usual dry lips, sometimes dry eyes, and dry skin but it still gets oily later on in the day.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 12/24/2017 6:08 pm

On 12/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, 808toms said:

Day 9: Won™t be updating here until 30 days ish probably, or if i run into a complication that makes me stop the treatment. Been hanging out on the subreddit where it™s very active and supportive! Anyone feel free to come by.

Acne wise, in the first few days I would get 3 cystish pustules a day. Now I get maybe 1 a day. But the old ones haven™t left yet so it looks progressively worse. I don™t think that these are an IB, but I™m not sure if I™m going to get one. Or it may be the IB and just subdued due to mino and differin (side effects came on quickly too)

Side effects: popping of joints seems to get a little worse every day :/ . Lower back pain is bothersome at the worst. I can live with both of them and still function, surf, walk around etc.. I recently upped my fish oil dose and added turmeric into my supplements so hopefully that will do something. Other than that I have the usual dry lips, sometimes dry eyes, and dry skin but it still gets oily later on in the day.

Research Vit E - meant to help with side effects I believe.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/26/2017 3:27 am

Day 12: IB is starting. Dammit I was hoping I wouldn™t get one due to differin and mino :/ oh well, hopefully it isn™t too bad/doesn™t last super long. 

Probably ~5 pustules on each cheek, 1 on jaw. Not the worst breakout I™ve ever had. Actually it™s not too bad, so as long as this is the breakout I™d say big thanks to differin!

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/27/2017 2:55 am

IB spreading, now 3 pustules on my jaw. More on my cheeks. Or could this be the Minocycline leaving my system?? Hmmm. Luckily I have 12 more days of winter break so hopefully it calms down a little!

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 12/28/2017 10:49 am

On 27. 12. 2017. at 8:55 AM, 808toms said:

IB spreading, now 3 pustules on my jaw. More on my cheeks. Or could this be the Minocycline leaving my system?? Hmmm. Luckily I have 12 more days of winter break so hopefully it calms down a little!

Permanent joint problems could be just the beginning for you... muscles also, bowel, hair... be very careful with this drug.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/28/2017 4:49 pm

5 hours ago, fiksi said:
Permanent joint problems could be just the beginning for you... muscles also, bowel, hair... be very careful with this drug. 

Actually my joints have improved a lot over the past few days! Minimal pain, I even surfed today with NO back pain. And I was getting WORKED, just some minor knee pain in the impact zone at one point. Tbh probably not even because of Accutane. I also take an awesome probiotic daily, along with fish oil, glucosamine/msm/chondroitin, turmeric, milk thistle, vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Figure I™ve got to fight the atomic drug with atomic supplementation ;) adding in hyaluronic acid soon as I™ve had some minor dry eyes. Definitely being as careful as possible! Yoga when I wake up every morning, workout 5 days a week, eating healthy on an intermittent fasting schedule. If I™m going to take a risk I™m gonna make it hell for fate to turn on me.

6 hours ago, fiksi said:

I™m nearly positive you™ve read this already, but in case you didn™t: a post-Accutane liver cleanse is highly recommended, followed by eating lots of vitamin A to restore balance to your vit A receptors. But if you just eat vitamin A with a blocked up liver, it won™t help. Read this on an early page in the long term sides thread.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 12/28/2017 6:52 pm

1 hour ago, 808toms said:
Actually my joints have improved a lot over the past few days! Minimal pain, I even surfed today with NO back pain. And I was getting WORKED, just some minor knee pain in the impact zone at one point. Tbh probably not even because of Accutane. I also take an awesome probiotic daily, along with fish oil, glucosamine/msm/chondroitin, turmeric, milk thistle, vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Figure I™ve got to fight the atomic drug with atomic supplementation ;) adding in hyaluronic acid soon as I™ve had some minor dry eyes. Definitely being as careful as possible! Yoga when I wake up every morning, workout 5 days a week, eating healthy on an intermittent fasting schedule. If I™m going to take a risk I™m gonna make it hell for fate to turn on me. I™m nearly positive you™ve read this already, but in case you didn™t: a post-Accutane liver cleanse is highly recommended, followed by eating lots of vitamin A to restore balance to your vit A receptors. But if you just eat vitamin A with a blocked up liver, it won™t help. Read this on an early page in the long term sides thread.

I really hope it works for you man, you seem to be really eager. Supplements may or may not help, it depends on what problems you have. There are things that helped for my stomach like kefir cultures. 

Let us know if you end up completely clear. 

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/31/2017 4:42 pm

Day 17: IB has.. calmed down? No more Whiteheads on my upper lip, few more pimples on my jaw though. And an underground cyst finally came up. Well see where this goes

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/03/2018 10:07 pm

Day 20: day 18 I saw a few more pustules on my left cheek, they are continuing to form. But my right cheek has cleared up and currently has no actives. Its almost like my left and right cheek completely switched roles, pretty odd. I have 2 small pimples on each jaw. Im starting to get white plugs pushed out in my T-zones. Yesterday a friend looked at me and was like dude, WTF your acne is on like, zero! That felt great but I assured him its still there.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/07/2018 5:11 pm

Day 24: not a whole lot of improvement, just 1-3 new ones a day. If anything its getting a little better. Plugs starting to get pushed out in between eyebrows, on front of nose. All my acne including body acne have formed heads/gained pus which is odd

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/12/2018 11:39 pm

Day 29: woo. Almost 1 month. Initial breakout cleared and Im 95% clear, a lurking pimple on my jaw and one more that formed yesterday on the back of my jaw. One lingering small one on my left cheek. Right check 100% clear, forehead 100% clear, sebaceous filaments continuing to get pushed out. Stoked!

wanted to edit and add that I have a pimple forming on my left jaw. Not sure if Im going to completely clear up yet now, but at least the IB calmed down!

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/14/2018 9:23 pm

Day 31: I am breaking out on my face and body, the pimples are pretty small but Im gonna do a count for future reference for myself

2 small heads on right side, 1 possibly forming
2 small on left side, 2 possible forming
1 just popped on left jaw, 1 active next to it and 1 possible forming
1 possible forming on right, 1 lingering
small heads around sebaceous filaments
2 chin small whiteheads

Took BCAAs starting Monday, no pimples showed up until Friday. Didnt take any Sunday (today), going to start again tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/15/2018 12:00 am

Pretty normal for Accutane to make your acne flare up in the initial stages. I am sure your dermatologist would have mentioned this to you. All the best for the rest of your treatment.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/16/2018 1:59 am

Day 32: just feel like updating because my acne wont let me stop thinking about it (it itches like fuck) so I might as well write about it.

i have regressed pretty much back to before treatment in terms of itchiness. In terms of looks, its not bad because none of the pimples are really gnarly looking. But my face is really inflamed so all the red marks look much worse.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/23/2018 1:12 am

Day 39: its calmed down quite a bit. I have 1 active on each cheek, 1 Whitehead on upper lip, and one cyst thing on the back of my jaw that has been chillin for weeks just headed up. Im now on 40mg as of 5 days ago. Acne has gotten to a point where I rarely worry about it in public, but I think this is just another good week and next week Ill break out again. Kinda a pattern Ive been seeing. Will update

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 01/30/2018 11:44 pm

Day 47: my pattern now is slowly clear up for a week, stay clear a few days, then start breaking out again. I currently only have 2 actives and acne is not really something I worry about anymore. I do have PIH/PIE and scarring but I am now free to focus on bettering myself in other ways.

MemberMember
(@baseballhockey27)

Posted : 01/31/2018 1:46 am

Hii there, just finished my first week taking 20mg Claravis, have had about 2-3 new whiteheads develop per day (this was sort of happening before treatment) and have severe dryness, especially on the sides of my mouth. Thanks for sharing your experiences with accutane, as it provides some comfort that other people are going through the same thing. Cheers!

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 02/10/2018 8:31 pm

Day 58? Wow, time flies.

ive been clear with like 1 small pimple at a time for a week and a half. Currently my face is getting really dry and I have like 2 Whiteheads and 2 small pimples but i threw some hydrocolloids on em and Im not worried.

So my conclusion about differin/retinoids prior is that it does lower your initial breakout intensity!

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 02/12/2018 5:27 pm

Day 60

going to continue to update until I am 100% clear. I actually had a little breakout with about 4 pimples but nothing too gnarly. Not sure what caused it but my nose started purging its filaments (again) at the same time so something with dryness or the cycle of the Accutane. I still have filaments but theyre less visible now.