Notifications
Clear all

What to do with non-subcisable mild-moderate scars

MemberMember
(@neofight)

Posted : 12/14/2017 11:32 am

This issue is mentioned a lot 'round here, but the lack of a clear strategy for anyone is likely frustrating for all of us ...

What in the world is the best strategy for dealing with mild to moderate atrophic rolling scars that are not deep enough to effectively be subcised?

Despite all my research and reading, I can't identify a good strategy and it drives me bonkers.

I would think the most likely answer is:

1. Patience
2. Microneedle (or PRP or Infini etc.)
3. Patience
4. TCA/glycolic peels
5. Patience
6. Rotate the above stated modalities

Am I missing anything here, friends?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/14/2017 1:18 pm

Rolling scars have deficiency under the surface of the skin so rf microneedling is a good choice as it encourages and stimulates collagen growth thus plumping up the scar,nothing needs to be done at skin level till the scar lifts.

because there is deficiency subsicion can still be used as filler can be still injected to fill and plump up the scar but how shallow are we talking and how much filler can be realisticly put there?

a rolling scar still has deficiency so plumping up the area is the way to treat them,collagen growth,this is usualy whats missing.

once the scar is plumped up tca peel or other resurfacing treatment will or could be required just to smooth everything off.

if you just use surface techniques your just altering the appearance and hoping for growth,so lets say realy strong tca spot peeling to smooth the scar over and try to stimulate collagen growth hoping it will lift it.
:)

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/14/2017 1:47 pm

Did you go to a surgeon/ dermatologist that told you your scars were too shallow for subcision? Subcision isn't a very deep procedure and is indicated FOR rolling/ tethered scars. I think many will perform it on shallow rolling scars, but the only difference is that they won't fill it. Could you possibly post a picture of your scars/ scars that look similar to yours if you're not comfortable?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/14/2017 3:28 pm

We have addressed this many times on the the forums and faq about textural or surface rolling scars.

Subcision works for most people. If they have surface "rolling scars" which are not a pencil eraser in depth or in the UK they call it rubber than filler does not work with the subcision. In this case you would get saline injections afterward and do your Chinese Cupping (Amazon). If your telling me you cannot do subcision which works for many skin types / ethnicity then your only options are acid peels (which will not release the tethered scars), microneedling, laser, dermabrasion, sublative aka ematrix - energy device like laser, Infini or RF microneedling. Without releasing the tethers it does make it harder as we are treating the symptom not the cause which is a tethered scar. This is ok if they are very superficial or lack depth as stated above and then one only needs textural improvement or resurfacing of the skin.

MemberMember
(@neofight)

Posted : 12/14/2017 6:46 pm

Wow. Ok. Food for thought. I don't know, maybe I have been told what you guys are saying but have become overloaded with information.

Just starting to feel frustrated 3+ months after my first subcision - the results were good, but in just a few months I see other previouslyless visible scars becoming more pronounced. (Take photos, people, otherwise you'll make yourself crazy wondering...)

Anyway. All we can do is keep fighting the good fight, staying disciplined, and reminding ourselves to be patient.

Thank you for your responses. Subcision 2 for me is in 45 days or so and I'll zero in on the moderate scars.

Take care.

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/14/2017 7:26 pm

I don't think your scars are more noticeable, I think you have just become better at analyzing your skin.

Same for me- I hadn't seen my skin up close or in various lightings because I hadn't really LOOKED. I felt more comfortable then. But once I started looking, I couldn't stop. Every little teeny scar became like the end of the world for me. I just think things become more obvious because we kind of obsess over our skin. Many people need 3+ subcisions, and the average percent improvement per subcision is around 15-30%. Don't be discouraged!

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 12/14/2017 10:15 pm

3 hours ago, NeoFight said:

Wow. Ok. Food for thought. I don't know, maybe I have been told what you guys are saying but have become overloaded with information.

Just starting to feel frustrated 3+ months after my first subcision - the results were good, but in just a few months I see other preciously less visible scars becoming more pronounced. (Take photos, people, otherwise you'll make yourself crazy wondering...)

Anyway. All we can do is keep fighting the good fight, staying disciplined, and reminding ourselves to be patient.

Thank you for your responses. Subcision 2 for me is in 45 days or so and I'll zero in on the moderate scars.

Take care.

I know how you feel. As my worst scars have improved with subcision my eyes now glue right to the ones I didn't think were so bad.

NeoFight liked
MemberMember
(@neofight)

Posted : 12/14/2017 10:20 pm

Great points and well said, @QuanHenryand @Petsme. That's why photos are so important - they can help you focus you on how far you've come from your baseline.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 12/15/2017 9:40 am

I think photos are misleading unless you have a machine like in a doctors office. Lighting and angles can drastically change the appearance, and even a few millimeters off can make a persons face look a lot different. I prefer taking video on my cell phone to track my progress.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/15/2017 12:50 pm

When its dark just stand in the bathroom if its got a blue/orange light and get mirror and look in mirror and tilt head and look for the flaws.then aknowledge the facts and treat the problems unless you can deal with them.this is how i track my progress,phone pics can be revealing and also cover over problems,i use the method i describe and look for flaws and progress.
:)