Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum folliculitis

MemberMember
(@willow_22)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:09 pm

I am new to this website and Ive never commented on anyones posts before. Im only a reader, but I felt I needed to recieve some insight on this because Ive been suffering from (what I believe to be) PF for 11 months now after taking a round of Doxycycline prescribed by my Derm for an acne breakout. Nothing and I mean NOTHING has cured this terrible stuff. I lost hope since going on a strict anti-candida diet for 2 months and nothing cleared up. So, Ive just been living with it and covering it up with makeup that wont break my skin out. I used Nizoral Shampoo with decent results for a couple months, but it eventually stopped working altogether, Ive used zinc pyrithione soap for a period of time which also stopped working. I could fill an entire page of the products Ive used with no success. Ive spent upwards of 400$ on creams/pills/supplements/foods/doctor visits -including a naturopathic doctor with no relief. Im starting to believe I will have this the rest of my life and Im only 22. It has totally depleted my self esteem in the process. If anyone has any advice/personal experiences with destroying this terrible skin condition pleaseee let me in on the secret.

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/11/2017 12:14 pm

Hi, the fact that it responded somewhat to Nizoral and head and shoulders is actually a really good sign for you that you have narrowed it down to a fungal infection. It's really common for persistent ones to stop responding to Nizoral. I know how depressing it can be to do the Candida diet without results by the way.

Nizoral is 1% ketoconazole. You need 2% which is a prescription. The forum rules here discourage talk of obtaining prescription medications online on auction sites from countries where it is available OTC... So... You definitely, shouldn't do that.... You should wait weeks for a doc appt and hope he/she is willing to listen to you.. ;) definitely do not buy it online..

By the way , this is a common side effect of derms throwing abx at any and every acne problem and you end up wiping out beneficial bacteria which actually kill fungus on their own.

Buy Lotrimin Ultra and Lotrimin over the counter and use it until you get your ketoconazole. 

The good news is this will definitely get cleared up. You might need an oral rx if it's exceedingly stubborn but you'll be fine. PM Me in a few weeks or quote this post if it's not responding (which I doubt)

Take care, and enjoy being acne free

MemberMember
(@willow_22)

Posted : 12/13/2017 8:50 pm

99f thank you for responding! I appreciate all the help I can get. Do you have experience with this skin condition?? And did you clear it on your own? I definitely won™t look into buying anything on the internet.. this PF is reaaaally stubborn. So I™m crossing my fingers with this new information :) thank you! I™ll definitely be keeping you updated