Notifications
Clear all

Please help..Do I need Accutane?

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:27 am

Hi. A bit of back story. 22 year old male, had acne since a teen. When I turned 21 last year I had a really really bad break out of acne.  I was put on lymecycline antibiotics which reduced my acne a lot and then zineryt antibiotic lotion at a later date which cleared everything else up

My skin was scar free and normal for about 7 or 8 months, it was glowing as family had told me.

About 3 months ago a relapse has occurred and it is back angry.  Not as angry as last time but still angry.  I've been on lymecycline for 3 months now and zineryt for about 3/4 weeks.  The effects from the antibiotics are defo not as good as the first time around.

I'm getting worried as I'm getting married in just under 9 months and I want to be clear with scars gone before then.  Here is a pic from today.

20171210_122127.jpg
20171210_122028.jpg

Is it bad enough for Accutane, is it my last shot since I have a time frame? Any help please, this stuff depresses me, especially at work. Thanks 

MemberMember
(@pimple-pimp)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:47 am

thanks for posting

i had same experience as you with abx .. as with majority, abx make acne worse long term.

yes its bad and yes u need accutane asap

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:51 am

3 minutes ago, pimple pimp said:

thanks for posting

i had same experience as you with abx .. as with majority, abx make acne worse long term.

Thanks. Did you go on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@pimple-pimp)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:55 am

2 minutes ago, jPablo said:
5 minutes ago, pimple pimp said:

thanks for posting

Thanks. Did you go on Accutane?

yeah i did but over a year ago stopped due to sides. im getting back on soon but going to use a low dose protocol

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:59 am

3 minutes ago, pimple pimp said:
yeah i did but over a year ago stopped due to sides. im getting back on soon but going to use a low dose protocol

what side effects did you experience?

MemberMember
(@pimple-pimp)

Posted : 12/10/2017 8:25 am

complete loss of libido/hypogonadism (100% recovered from), severe melancholy/very dark emotional state and dry flaking skin

but i was definitely clearing up and had a glow. my derm didnt bring up low dose route i didnt question anything. very stupid.
so im excited to see what will happen.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/10/2017 8:45 am

19 minutes ago, pimple pimp said:

complete loss of libido/hypogonadism (100% recovered from), severe melancholy/very dark emotional state and dry flaking skin

but i was definitely clearing up and had a glow. my derm didnt bring up low dose route i didnt question anything. very stupid.
so im excited to see what will happen.

So a low dosage route would lessen side effects?

MemberMember
(@pimple-pimp)

Posted : 12/10/2017 8:57 am

definitely.

theres a guy on here who relapsed after a long course. he went back on but only 10 mg/day and eventually cleared but with no sides. then he found he could reduce the dose further to 10mg every other day and now he takes 10 mg 3 days of the week. incredible if u ask me. many other accounts and studies supporting low doses when u dig.

my plan is to start on 20 mg/day. if i notice anything negative outside dry lips i drop dose etc until i find a dose where my skin is progressing but im experiencing virtually zero sides,

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/10/2017 9:03 am

It's not bad and it's not cystic, you do not need accutane, it is an option if you are willing to destroy your body.

MemberMember
(@pimple-pimp)

Posted : 12/10/2017 9:10 am

5 minutes ago, Duperele said:

It's not bad and it's not cystic, you do not need accutane, it is an option if you are willing to destroy your body.

no ones body got destroyed on 10 mg/day...not even 20. its the 40 mg+ doses that go on for months/years that fuck people up

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/10/2017 9:32 am

28 minutes ago, Duperele said:

So what do i Do? It's been 3 months on topical and oral antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/10/2017 1:57 pm

4 hours ago, jPablo said:
4 hours ago, Duperele said:

So what do i Do? It's been 3 months on topical and oral antibiotics.

I would advice you to try topical retinoids, it's basicly accutane in a cream, and it works great for most people.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/11/2017 6:04 am

Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 12/11/2017 7:01 am

First of all, I don't think your acne is quite severe enough to warrant accutane. Accutane works best for those with severe and scarring cystic acne. It's a serious medication and does have a lot of side-effects. However, I disagree that it's as dangerous as people make out. It's routinely prescribed to millions of people after all. I guess you have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth the risk.

I agree that antibiotics are rubbish, and I think topical BP and retinol would be a good thing to try (you could try Dan's regimen). Topical retinoids ARE NOT accutane in a cream - although both are derived from vit A, they work differently. Accutane taken internally as a medication slows down skin cell production, reduces oil production, and reduces keratinization in the skin, preventing pores from becoming blocked. Topical retinoids and retinol speeds up skin cell turnover.

ScarRight and jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/11/2017 9:08 am

2 hours ago, Jollyhohnson said:

First of all, I don't think your acne is quite severe enough to warrant accutane. Accutane works best for those with severe and scarring cystic acne. It's a serious medication and does have a lot of side-effects. However, I disagree that it's as dangerous as people make out. It's routinely prescribed to millions of people after all. I guess you have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth the risk.

I agree that antibiotics are rubbish, and I think topical BP and retinol would be a good thing to try (you could try Dan's regimen). Topical retinoids ARE NOT accutane in a cream - although both are derived from vit A, they work differently. Accutane taken internally as a medication slows down skin cell production, reduces oil production, and reduces keratinization in the skin, preventing pores from becoming blocked. Topical retinoids and retinol speeds up skin cell turnover.

I'm back to the docs this Friday, will see what they suggest. I do know Zineryt really kicks in at the 4 week stage which I am on now, so hopefully it clears me again. If not I'll ask about retinoids.

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/11/2017 11:29 am

I was on accutane and a simple Google search will show you that even doctors understand that acne will come back within a year or two of stopping accutane for a lot of people. I succesfully got through accutane without long term side effects (that I know of) but my acne came back, and I would not go back on it now that I know the risk/reward ratio.

A tub of ZZ cream from demodexsolutions is about $45 and would last you a few weeks, put it on one half of your face for a month twice a day and see if it doesn't make a visible difference.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/11/2017 2:00 pm

2 hours ago, 99f said:

I was on accutane and a simple Google search will show you that even doctors understand that acne will come back within a year or two of stopping accutane for a lot of people. I succesfully got through accutane without long term side effects (that I know of) but my acne came back, and I would not go back on it now that I know the risk/reward ratio.

A tub of ZZ cream from demodexsolutions is about $45 and would last you a few weeks, put it on one half of your face for a month twice a day and see if it doesn't make a visible difference.

Has it kept you clear?

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/11/2017 4:42 pm

I needed to go on oral prescription meds (see sig) because I had widespread body acne. I would expect it to keep smaller areas clear

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@srht)

Posted : 12/12/2017 3:47 pm

If I was you, I would certainly ask my GP for accutane.

MemberMember
(@user639345)

Posted : 01/04/2018 7:46 am

What did you decide?

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 01/04/2018 9:38 am

1 hour ago, Poesjex said:

What did you decide?

I'm in the UK so doc appointments etc take a few weeks go get. I'm going on Tuesday 9th (next week) to discuss my options. Will let you know then.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 01/05/2018 6:41 am

20180105_113820.png

20180105_113735.png

acne is the devil.

MemberMember
(@user639345)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:07 am

We'll get through this. Your appointment is in 4 days already

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:23 am

10 minutes ago, Poesjex said:

We'll get through this. Your appointment is in 4 days already

I really hope you do. But your case is definitely not for accutane, and while his maybe is more so, there are still other options.

One new "victim" I came to know of, has permanently dry, red eyes and is seeking help. Unfortunetaly, accutane killed the gland- that's it. 10 years post tane, he has this problem.

You are both young, and acne weaken with age... a combo of variating antiibotic therapy and other means may help you get to point where acne is weak/gone. I only urge you to keep exploring other options before taking this risk.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:27 am

2 minutes ago, fiksi said:
I really hope you do. But your case is definitely not for accutane, and while his maybe is more so, there are still other options.

One new "victim" I came to know of, has permanently dry, red eyes and is seeking help. Unfortunetaly, accutane killed the gland- that's it. 10 years post tane, he has this problem.

You are both young, and acne weaken with age... a combo of variating antiibotic therapy and other means may help you get to point where acne is weak/gone. I only urge you to keep exploring other options before taking this risk.

It's not just the look, it's the pain of it as well. You cant lay on your side cause it hurts, shaving is now impossible, trimming is still painful.

Especially mentally destroying when you need to be presentable for your job.

I'm sure you know the ins and outs of it.