Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illusion

Marooned by despair, my war against spots

Guest Brandon

You can never be too melodramatic regarding acne. It kills people...

All I can say is good luck and stick with the Accutane. It's pretty much the best option out there and a bit of a last resort for some people. Keep a log updated so you can look back as your skin clears and gain strength in knowing that you're beginning to clear.

It's normal for you to be depressed about acne even when there are greater issues all around you with your family. If acne consumes your whole life, why would it stop when tragedy strikes? It's merciless.

Where are you from? I noticed you said you were on summer break.

Good luck.

Guest Brandon

The emo kids have your back here.

Australia? I was guessing that since on The Simpsons Homer took a sled to AU and it was summer. hah that show does teach you stuff.

I can see what you mean, that is a dramatic difference over a short period of time.

Concerning your friends, when I am feeling this way and don’t want to make myself feel worse by lying to those I care about. I volunteer at one of the local youth clubs, it will benefit your sense of self worth and has the sneaky advantage of being around a lot of people who are acne prone and will totally understand. And of course your friends will forgive your absence.

I would like to put forward to you a different way of looking at the situation. If I was your paternal aunt or your grandmother going through stages in my life that were totally out of my control and I saw an opportunity to take care of someone I loved that I could have control over I would jump at it

You say you are looking for your silver lining, that’s it. You cannot take your money with you when you leave this world but you can spend it on someone’s happiness.

The reward is in its self and in turn they know when they need you, you will pay in return. One day the acne will go, but the actions left behind stay a lifetime.

It sounds to me you have a good family each person is trying to forget their own troubles and look after each others needs.

And sometimes that is a rare thing.

Hi Illusion,

I can totally relate to your post and have an nearly identical situation to you. I also saw your pictures in the gallery and my acne was actually worse than yours at one point. I too am coming up to my 20th birthday, i dont go out, my parents are paying thousands to help me with my acne and keep me and i feel eternally grateful to them, but also guilty and i cant face getting a job. And i also have a grandparent battling cancer and i feel ridiculous for fretting so greatly over acne. BUT

I am on my 4th month of accutane and i am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, just about.. Within 3 weeks of my acne turning really severe and cystic, i managed to get on accutane and now 4.5 months down the line i'm only really battling with the red marks and really dry skin.

I suppose what i wanted to say is. You are on the best thing, being on accutane and there IS A LIGHT at the end of the tunnel and that you are really lucky to have such supportive parents. We are both very privaliged to have them there for us.

Acne is a destructive disease and it can majorly harm people, and it is sometimes hard for those who have never suffered to appreciate that. (Thats why this board is so good, cos they all know!!)

Its important for you to know that you're not alone!!

All the best,

I wish you the best of luck with your accutane course.. It does work wonders, it just takes time and patience.

Frankie smile.gif

your parents spent $2,000 trying to help you??

cheer up. at least you have parents that are willing to spend that kind of money on your complexion. there are many people on this board with moderate/severe acne who don't have access to health insurance or wealthy parents.

so since you've at least got HOPE and people PAYING for your treatment cheer up because things could be a lot worse.

I'm turning 22 on sunday and still suffering with acne sad.gif I can understand how you feel.I too don't have a job,my parents support me and i just sit at home everyday hiding away because of my skin sad.gif I'm trying to ignore it and get on with things because i have my driving test next week and i have to focus on that.I find it hard to focus on anything other than my skin though;especially when it's flared up!I put everything off and don't go places because of my skin.I'm only learning to drive now at age 21 when i wanted to do it when i was 17 but quit because i was breaking out badly.I started this summer again because acne let me have a reprieve.

Hi, I can definately understand you. My acne was well, multiple times worst then that. Its good you are on accutane as many peopl on these forums couldn't get it and ended up with badly scarred faces. Accutaneis the best, it will sort you out.

What I am worried about is that you are avoiding seeing your friends. This is what I did, and after doing this for years n years I have grown completely anxious and depressed.

okay thanks for your post illusion.

I don't know if this will help or not, and it's really more of a genuine comment rather than something to lift your spirits, but you are ADORABLE. Acne or not, you have very nice features.

I can relate very much to your story; I'm nearing 20 and while my acne isn't severe, it's bothersome enough that I avoid going out on occasion because I'm embarrassed. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing what could be but isn't because of the acne. :/

Accutane has done marvelous things for many people. My brother had severe cystic acne all over his chest, shoulders and face, and after one dose of accutane his face is baby soft, smooth as hell and almost scar free. I'm so jealous. sad.gif Of course I'm glad for him as well, since his skin was very problematic.

Good luck with everything!! smile.gif

Illusion, I feel your pain..

This is easy for me to say, but your acne doesn't seem THAT bad. Of course cameras can distort things so I'm not in the best position to evaluate your skin. Anyway I'd just like to say that while acne is horrible just keep reminding yourself that it's only temporary and instead focus on the things in life that make you happy..

You are an excellent writer with a superb vocabulary. You really are gifted in expressing yourself, I can tell just by reading your comments.

Like me and a lot of others here you are already using the most powerful acne drug that the medical society has to offer. We're all in it together, all striving towards the common goal of having clear skin. Be patient with the tane and I'm pretty sure it will help us all in the end; I'm 2 weeks in and am already noticing a (psuedo?) difference...

If you need any support, hit me up!

Guest Brandon

The Ataris are some kind of pop punk...I guess they can be considered emo. Everyone's going emo...

Yeh, I ditto that. You seem very literate. Well, all my problems have stemmed from my face. In regards to your question, I play a musical instrument. If I didn't have this instrument I'd probably have gone insane by now (but I'm not too good). But I suppose like you I regularly express my thoughts on paper n' pen.

So keep your chin up, you are pretty as you are, and don't feel guilty about how you are feeling, and that goes for all of you guys n girls out there.

It's great actually. I'm on a low dose of 20 mg and 40 mg on alternate days so the side effects are really mild. I'm clearing up but my red marks are abhorrent and the renova (an emollient retin-A) topical I'm applying is making me look like a perennial lush

You sound like a very smart girl. You be happy and like I came to late. Listen to everyone here. They all care, about you and come back...

Kawaii Harajuku gal....

That's what you are.