Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone - How long until your hormones went back to normal?

MemberMember
(@classygirl27)

Posted : 12/06/2017 3:15 pm

Hi,

I am new to this thread. I started taking Spironolactone for hormonal acne about a month ago. I took it for about ten days but then I felt so winded and weak and started bleeding (like a period- sorry if TMI). So I stopped taking the medication.
Well ever since then, I have had spotting/bleeding for about 8-10 days and then it stops for a week and then comes back.
I believe my hormones were thrown out of wack. How long until they level out? Anyone have experiences with this?

Any feedback is appreciated. I have derm apt but its not for a few days and Ive never been irregular so its making me a little anxious

MemberMember
(@weidwoman)

Posted : 12/08/2017 1:06 pm

Spiro can cause your period to be irregular initially. From what I've read it will get back to normal though as your body adjusts to the medication, but may take a few months. How many mg did you start out taking? I started Spiro almost 7 weeks ago but I started on a really low dose (12.5 mg for a week, then upped it to 25 mg for a week then I went up to 50 mg and am still currently on 50 mg for 3 weeks now and my period has not gotten messed up) I figured starting out slowly and gradually moving up with the dosage would help my cycle not get messed up. Hope this helps and that you can figure it out!

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/08/2017 7:07 pm

Spironolactone is literally a testosterone antagonist so what you are describing is an expected side effect. When you go back you will likely be put on different abx since you couldn't tolerate spirono (if your derm doesn't suspect PCOS to be the cause of your acne)

MemberMember
(@classygirl27)

Posted : 12/21/2017 11:40 am

Thank you for the replies! I began in 25mg. I still havent taken it and the derm didnt give me much for answers.. Im still not regular but its becoming further and further apart so hopefully its a good sign. Going to ask my OB next week.