Notifications
Clear all

Spot Dermabrasion? Anyone?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 11/30/2017 10:09 pm

I really want to try a spot dermabrasion but Im freaking myself out. Reviews on acne.org are so bad! And Ive already had one failed procedure (punch excision), which makes me afraid to try again.

What to do? Ive pretty much done everything else (fractional lasers, microneedling, filler, subcision).

Its 4 scars, 2 on each cheek. Not very big, not super deep but still noticeable. They bug me a lot and kill my confidence!!!

Ugh. Do I take the chance?

Iam considering Dr Falcone in Syracuse. Anyone have any experience with him?

Thank you... this community.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 12/01/2017 12:02 am

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 12/07/2017 10:50 pm

One excision scar. Three shallow scars...kind of rolling, kinda of boxcar (but the sides arent steep).

It might be old school but modern stuff like lasers hasnt done sh*t for me.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 12/08/2017 3:43 pm

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 12/08/2017 7:20 pm

On 11/30/2017 at 9:09 PM, FreshStart2014 said:

I've never heard of complications arising from microdermabrasion, so you don't really have much to lose except a few bucks. Just be sure to keep your expectations in check.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/08/2017 7:37 pm

16 minutes ago, ailaeshiz said:
On 12/1/2017 at 3:09 AM, FreshStart2014 said:

I've never heard of complications arising from microdermabrasion, so you don't really have much to lose except a few bucks. Just be sure to keep your expectations in check.

I think they're referring to old style dermabrasion using a wire brush :)

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 12/08/2017 7:42 pm

5 minutes ago, unbreakable1 said:

Oh haha, I guess I've never even heard of that before. Just looking through realself reviews at the moment. Doesn't seem like its really suited for lifting up scar tissue https://www.realself.com/Dermabrasion/reviews

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 12/08/2017 8:10 pm

4 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:
As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 useless words. Post a pic.

Anyway, if CO2 laser didn't help you, I doubt dermabrasion will either.

Lol, I™ve been on these boards a long time. Posted quite a few pictures. Too lazy to post more. 

I did fractional C02, not ablative. Ablative co2 and dermabrasion are more comparable. 

33 minutes ago, unbreakable1 said:

Yes...but I™d prefer diamond tip or sandpaper. Wire brush is more risky. 

28 minutes ago, ailaeshiz said:
Oh haha, I guess I've never even heard of that before. Just looking through realself reviews at the moment. Doesn't seem like its really suited for lifting up scar tissue https://www.realself.com/Dermabrasion/reviews

One of the oldest treatments for acne scarring; a dying art as most docs have moved on to laser. It can/has worked but it can end badly as well...which are usually the stories you hear. 

MouseJune liked
MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 12/08/2017 8:28 pm

@FreshStart2014 So why choose dermabrasion over a shallow fully ablative CO2 laser?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 12/08/2017 8:29 pm

Just now, ailaeshiz said:
@FreshStart2014 So why choose dermabrasion over a shallow fully ablative CO2 laser?

You cant spot treat with Co2...well, you can but there is a much higher chance of hypopigmentation. Believe it has something to do with the heat.

ailaeshiz liked
MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 12/08/2017 9:57 pm

1 hour ago, FreshStart2014 said:

You cant spot treat with Co2...well, you can but there is a much higher chance of hypopigmentation. Believe it has something to do with the heat.

Ablative erbium laser will work just fine for spot treatments. Check out this video.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 12/08/2017 10:46 pm

49 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:
Ablative erbium laser will work just fine for spot treatments. Check out this video.

Ive done fractional erbium (Profractional). No results.

But thank you for the suggestion.

MemberMember
(@coconutrough)

Posted : 12/09/2017 9:45 am

The most prominent scars I see in your pics are deep ice picks. So why you considered subcision+ filler or even laser as plausible treatment options is beyond me. I'm no expert btw but this type of scarring is generally treated with TCA cross.

There was an very knowledgeable user here (blahblahblah) who said he got significant improvement from spot dermabrasion actually. Unfortunately he has no pics online.
-->

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/09/2017 12:52 pm

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 12/31/2017 1:25 pm

On 2017-12-09 at 0:52 PM, beautifulambition said:

Hope you don't mind I pasted your older image here for reference. Looks like Large pores, a rolling scar, icepicks, and a skin texture issue. Is that your main concern or what part of the face specifically? Yes Dermabrasion does work. We don't recommend it as many derms also do not because of the down time (often 3 months of redness and healing), waxy texture of the skin afterwards as it resurfaces it, and of course pain so one must be sedated. Reviews are bad because of the above plus one must do a few of them not just one and done and if the Dr is not EXTREMELY experienced, he can mess up the skin. It does work. Dr. Rullan in SD has his special dermabrasion spot treatment with TCA peel he does on darker skin types so it would work on you, I believe it's a few thousand.

If your main concern is icepicks dermabasrion and peels will do little. Possibly for pores if the whole cheek is done. So why haven't you had results after all those treatments you received. I would have to analyze the situtation without background details. For instance was the subcision done with filler, because that spot pre - treatment needed HA filler with the subcision. Was nokor subcsion done, or just a needle used. Laser settings are we talking fractional laser - fraxel on light settings or non ablative laser or supper hardcore CO2 that could go very deep. Microneedling would do nothing for your situation. Filler would work with subcision for the divot, but not the rest of the skin texture / icepicks.

The one treatment I did not see with you tried it all was TCA peels. They can go VERY deep. They can burn crud off car parts if used in higher concentrations. Did you ever consider a sedated TCA or Phenol Peel to go deeply into the dermis. IF your doing mild peels it would take many to see any improvement. This would give you comparable results to dermabasion (yes multiple must be done). Sometimes they are used in conjunction. One cannot do dermabrasion on pitting "spot dermabrasion" as there is nothing doing the lifting, it must be more superficial / textural. It highly depends on how you heal more than any other procedure and the DRs technique. It's a bit overkill for your condition. 

If I know your  concern I can more appropriately make a plan.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

No issue with posting my pics. These however aren™t really indicative of the issue - one was with a bad filler job (puffed up the wrong areas!) and the second was the touch up (which I thought looked pretty good).  I actually only have one icepick scar which I™m not expecting a dermabrasion to resolve.   Also,  have a couple of scars on the other cheek. 

I™ve considered a TCA peel before. Never phenol though...as I too believe it™s overkill for the severity of my scarring. 

I still think a spot dermabrasion is a viable option for me. I have found a doc in upstate NY with lots experience. I will update the site if I go through with it. 

Thanks. 

On 2017-12-09 at 9:45 AM, CoconutRough said:

The most prominent scars I see in your pics are deep ice picks. So why you considered subcision+ filler or even laser as plausible treatment options is beyond me. I'm no expert btw but this type of scarring is generally treated with TCA cross.

There was an very knowledgeable user here (blahblahblah) who said he got significant improvement from spot dermabrasion actually. Unfortunately he has no pics online.
-->

I actually only have one ice pick. I have large pores. Plus, this picture is casting a dark shadow on one of the scars.  I™ve thought of TCA for the one ice pick but it doesn™t even bother me that much, oddly enough. It™s the shallower scarring that to me, really sucks. 

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/31/2017 4:03 pm

A few tca peels at 25% with at least 6 weeks of healing will realy change your overall texture.
:)

MemberMember
(@nikkigirl)

Posted : 12/31/2017 8:39 pm

I would wait to Skin TE comes out.....go to the scarless healing thread....looks promising but who knows if it works yet.