Notifications
Clear all

CURED acne which was due to hypothyroidism with Zinc and Selenium

MemberMember
(@idontcarewhatsinyourhair)

Posted : 11/30/2017 1:16 pm

I started developing severe cystic acne when I was 20. They were huge red cysts with three heads each that would grow on both cheeks (almost symmetrically), and wouldn't stop being inflamed for two weeks at a time. It was ugly and really painful, and they left marks that would not go away for atleast three months and scars that are still on my cheeks.

As I went from acne-free to covered in horrible red acne and scars on my face I became depressed and lost five kgs. I also started to *lose my hair* and had *dry flaky skin on my palms and face*. The skin on my palms would peel off and my hair would fall in clumps. I noticed a decrease in the *quality of hair, which became extremely dry, frizzy and lost its overall shape and texture*. I felt like I had a different person's hair on my head. I went to several doctor's who could not help me, and I got hormone and thyroid tests done which did not tell me anything. After studying my acne and symptoms over a year I self-diagnosed myself with hypothyroidism. Self-diagnosis can be dangerous, but sometimes it's about reading your body's signals. As I took measures to deal with hypothyroidism, my acne went away and I have been cyst-free for six months now. Here is what helped and what didn't:

What did not help:

Cutting carbs : Helped with weight-loss but acne kept coming

Drinking lemon water in the morning: Good habit but cysts continued

Burdock Root: did not take full dose and suffered from horrible purging breakouts over jawline on both sides of my face

Green Tea: Helped with overall health and skin but cysts continued

Vitamin A and D :Helped with overall skin but did not do anything for cystic acne

What really helped:

Calming myself down: stressing about my cysts made them worse

Makeup and concealer: You can always conceal redness; it took me a while to discover this and I have been at peace since then, cysts or no

ALOE VERA: This gel is magic and will speed up scar healing so much, and make your skin glowy. Tip: Keep it on overnight, on full face.

It's depressing to deal with acne but try and listen to your body. Don't go gluten and dairy free without ruling out hormonal or thyroid and other endocrine issues. Two years ago I was in a horrible place, and was constantly sad about my skin. Today it's something I think about maybe once a month, and only if I can see my scars. Otherwise I can get away without washing my face, eating like crap, being stressed, getting no sleep, having sex, etc. without it showing on my skin! It's only because I know my body needs certain nutrients. If you have any of these symptoms, try what I did! I hope I help someone.

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@fcntcsy)

Posted : 12/29/2017 12:51 am

Does selenium promote general hormonal balance or does it only improve thyroid symptoms? Also, what kind of magnesium do you use? Congrats, btw

MemberMember
(@idontcarewhatsinyourhair)

Posted : 01/01/2018 1:06 pm

Hi,
I don't know if selenium can help with any other specific hormone issues. It is important to keep in mind though that overall hormonal health is dependant on the thyroid (and vice versa) so supplementing might indirectly help with other hormone issues. But I also think its very easy and dangerous to overdose with selenium, because the RDA is so low. Be careful! Especially with synthetic forms.

I have a 25 microgram magnesium pills from holland and barret but I rarely take them. I have read that magnesium sprays/topicals are the most effective. (Never tried myself). I do think ocean salts have a lot of magnesium, which is why I mentioned it. Swimming in the ocean works wonders for my health, which sounds silly I know, but it really healed whatever imbalance I had, and the change was especially noticeable in my hair. It was noticeable to people around me.

Thanks, and good luck!

MemberMember
(@chipperend)

Posted : 01/03/2018 6:00 pm

Taking a zinc supplement has helped me so much too! I also take 15mg from
holland and Barrett x