Notifications
Clear all

Trying to decide what's next for acne scars

MemberMember
(@fairfacedchamp)

Posted : 11/29/2017 4:21 pm

I'm 23 and in LA. I have mostly boxcar and rolling scars, focused on my cheeks and jaw, a couple small ones on my temples. Not that bad, but enough to encourage me to get treatment. I've had 6 dermapen treatments done which have improved my skin texture and some shallow scars. I saw good improvement, but I wanted more so I contacted Dr Rullan.

Last week I had subcision combined with microneedling with Rullan. $550. He's a great doctor. I saw my biggest scars appear back on the 2nd day and I started suctioning the third day. I'm getting one more subcision in around 6 weeks so I think I'll start on the 2nd day this time to counteract that problem.

I've seen minimal results on a lot of scars, but dramatic results on a few. I'm happy I got it! Obviously its a good treatment but it doesn't affect certain scar types. So I need advice on where to go next. The doctor mentioned TCA peels, laser, filler, all options. He also talked about his liking for the modified Phenol peel, but after a good amount of research I don't think I'm down for the risk and intense process. But I'm open to anything. I'm just looking for advice, and I'll definitely private message pictures to anyone willing to help. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/29/2017 4:30 pm

maybe post a pic or it's impossible to give any advice

as a rule of thumb, you should treat rolling (tethered) scars with a combination of multiple subcision+fillers
boxcar scars you can try to microneedle but are harder to treat

anyway nothing will give make them go away or give you 80%+ improvements....maybe SkinTE but you have to wait since it's still not ready

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/29/2017 5:08 pm

@fairfacedchampYou needle filler with subcision, forget the suction if your tethering down on the 2nd day. Rullan can do this.

Send your pictures I get several PM's a day and I will advise you specially latter this evening on your scars.

Typically forget about the microneedling. If you have box cars you need 3 treatments of RF Microneedling aka Infini. This works great for that.

Do your 3 subcisions with filler.

If you have icepicks you need tca cross, it's slow and takes time.

For surface texture you do multiple tca peels, or one deep Phenol peel, ... Rullan is great for this especially in darker skin types.
If you don't want the down time. ... Well even CO2 laser and erbium has down time.

Please see the FAQ - top post of the acne scar sub to learn more.

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/29/2017 6:51 pm

@beautifulambitionare you saying that microneedling isn't going to help scarring? Like should I just forget about normal microneedling with a derminator and just wait until I can afford Infini RF?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/29/2017 7:27 pm

@Petsme
Nope in context... " I've had 6 dermapen treatments done which have improved my skin texture and some shallow scars. I saw good improvement, but I wanted more so I contacted Dr Rullan. "

Continue needling, it's cheap and fits your situation, if you need rf microneedling, we can do that in time, no rush. Your scars are very superficial. I think microneedling is cheap, it's a great upkeep procedure, but as I have said many times IT MUST be done in conjunction with peels to get real change. Microneedling alone will do nothing it take it the next step you need peels. It's a two pronged approach. Now if you have money, and want do Dr based treatments for $$$$ with not alot of time, sure do RF Microneedling. Microneedling is also great for DIY at home convenience. I would rate your scars as shallow/ textural, thus I do not think you need to start with RF microneedling.

ailaeshiz liked
MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/29/2017 9:20 pm

@Petsmeyour scars are rolling, right? Looking through that @SweetandSour thread I imagine you should be able find improvement with subcision, in addition to microneedling and TCA peels. RF microneedling seems like it's most suited for stubborn boxcars which you can see in the @Notokel thread.

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/29/2017 9:56 pm

I have two rolling scars which bother me a lot. Besides that, I have boxcars that are SUPERRRR shallow and look noticeable mostly only due to the color. With makeup they're almost nonexistent. @ailaeshizHopefully mixing all these things can get me to a point where I feel acceptable

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/29/2017 10:16 pm

@Petsme I also have super shallow boxcars. Microneedling should take care of them according to a dermatologist I saw today so I'll keep you posted once my derminator finally arrives.

Petsme liked