Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well im finally starting Amnesteem tonight in about 10 min.! im definitely getting scared, and im surprised because i really didn't think i was goin to, but i thinkthe seriousness of what im about to start is just getting to me! im gonna do it anyways, because i have to do it, or else i will regret it!

MY BACKGROUND

I am 17 years old, and i have had acne for about 5 years. I breakout on my forehead, chest, and back. I used to have pretty bad acne which would be classified as moderate, but then i started goin to the derm about 2 years ago, and got things sorta under control, but not completely gone. I have very persistant acne, its not cystic, and i would classify it as very mild right now, i am actually almost clear.....but thats because i was on antibiotics and im on birth control. So my doctor and i finally decided its time to go on accutane and completely take care of my acne for good! biggrin.gif but the only problem is, i have been depressed in the past, and i was diagnosed with Severe depression.....BUT like many other people here, my depression was mainly due to my acne. But my psychiatrist would not write me a letter to go on accutane because of the reports on the news.....so my derm is being extremely careful with me now because of that and my history of depression. So u guys will really have to keep an eye on me....PLEASE!!! eusa_pray.gif

MY REGIMEN

DOSAGE- 10mg a day

FACE WASH- Cetaphil

MOISTURIZER- Cetaphil/lubriderm

VITAMIN- vitamin E 400IU a day

(i might start taking other vitamins too, if anyone has any advice about other good vitamins to take while on accutane)

LIPS- Aquaphor/Carmex

---i was also considering doin an egg white mask every now and then just to keep a nice healthy skin tone.....but i dont know if that would be good or bad on accutane, so could someone please let me know! THANKS!

ALRIGHT, so its time, im gonna take my first pill.......wish me luck! and ill keep u guys updated!

(this is what i feel like right now..... eusa_shifty.gifshock.gifeusa_doh.gifneutral.gifbiggrin.gif lol mixed emotions much?? haha oh well! )

HeyHey,

Good luck on your Accutane treament. GEEZ! Everyone is starting Accutane this month. I too will be taking Accutane before x-mas! YAY! Be careful when you take Accutane ok? If you feel different about yourself or feel any change....stop taking Accutane immediately! That's my advice. I know u said u had a history of depression so just be cautious and watch you every move.

Hey I'm 17 too! Haha....

Oh yes....I heard taking Omega is good too. I think zinc too but I'm not sure. Take C as well. But no multi-vitamins!!

~JiN

Guest Brandon

What's the second line in your signature mean, Paul? Oh wait, I'll just ask you...

thanks guys! i really appreciate ur support! im gonna need it!

thats awesome that we're starting around the same time no limit!! i know everyone is starting at the same time.....its crazy! lol

but yea i know to be super super cautious about how i feel, and my derm told my parents to really keep an eye on me too, and like u said....if i feel anything different, go off of it immediatley! so hopefully that doesn't happen.....but we'll see! and yea i know definitely not to take a multivitamin! but i also heard about zinc......how much, do u know??

thanks again guys! biggrin.gif

oo bella! good luck. i start on tuesday or monday as long as my blood work goes well on sat... ill be payin close attention to your log. its fun to go through this with someone at the same time. it also sounds like our skin is similar, mild. persistant.. annoying. cant wait to hear about the initial!

& (im gonna say it) ciao bella!

thanks guys! im glad we're starting around the same time too forum, that'll make things easier i think!

and intelligencia i saw ur pictures, and i must say, ur skin is looking MUCH better!! congrats!

so......i took my 4th pill tonight at 10, and so far things are goin pretty good.....no initial breakout as of yet. i think i have noticed a decrease in oil though, which is awesome, cuz my skin is extremely oily! but other than that things just seem to be kind of the same, maybe a lil better actually. i did have a small headache the first 2 days, but nothing severe. lips aren't dried out yet.....so ill be waiting for that.

so pretty much, so far so good.

lol i loved the "ciao bella" by the way, that was cute!! biggrin.gif

DAY 7

alright so im starting to get the initial breakout unfortunately!!! sad.gif

i have gotten about 4 new zits on my face, in places i used to breakout, but rarely. i got a couple on my chin, and 1 by my nose.....but then there are about 10 little zits on my forehead which is normal for me. but it has kinda dried out the ones on my forehead a bit, which is nice.....but not i have a feelin that things are just gonna get worse. and there have been a few new ones on my chest and back.....but thats typical, so i dont know if its the amnesteem or not. but oh well i just want to get through this initial breakout and start clearing up!!

i hope this doesn't last that long, cuz i just started getting out and doin things again, because my acne was clearing up and i was feelin confident and not hiding anymore......but now im scared im just gonna relapse and start hiding again, which i dont want AT ALL!!

other than that, no sign of depression.....yay! and i think the fact that im taking vitamin E is really really helpin, cuz i hardly am noticing any dryin side effects yet. so thats the good news!

anyways.....ill stop rambling now, but ill keep u guys updated!

thanks for reading!

thanks!

DAY 10

alright so my skin looks like shit right now, the color and tone is just horrible. and i have a couple new zits, one i would consider a cyst, and i hope it falls off soon, cuz it looks gross.

but today i used cetaphil lotion instead of lubriderm, and OMG my face is SOOOOO oily!!! seriously my face is the oiliest its been in a long time, and trust me my face is normally extremely oily! so im definitely gonna stick to lubriderm for right now until my skin dries out a lot.

does anyone think that by me using the Vitamin E on just 10mg of amnesteem, that its actually combating what the amnesteem is supposed to be doin?? because im scared that its not workin cuz im taking the vitamin E, but i dont know.......anyone have any suggestions??

well other than that i guess things are goin good....dry lips aren't that bad, but it'll probably be worse when i up my dose.

my first derm check-up is tomorrow, so ill let u guys know how things go!

talk to u soon!

Hey!

Vitamin E... I used to take that 400IU a day. But, now I'm taking TheraTears Nutrition for my eyes, and it contains 187IU of Vitamin E in it already, so I quit taking the Vitamin E supplement.

No, I don't think Vitamin E will cancel out or combat what 'tane is supposed to be doing.

I haven't experienced the int' break out yet...

soon..lol

lol well good luck with that........i hope u dont have to experience the initial breakout!

yea i talked to my derm about the vitamin E and she said it was fine, and she said they are probably gonna up my dose next time i go......she said they might do it 10mg one day, 20mg the next....or maybe just go to 20mg........so we'll see.

i was thinkin though, cuz my skin is still pretty oily, so do u think if i stopped taking the vitamin E, that that would go away?? and do u think it would make my zits go away faster?

and where do u get TheraTears? cuz my eyes are starting to get pretty dry.

thanks!

I get my TheraTears at Wal-Mart. It comes in a bottle of 120 capsules, and you are supposed to take 4 a day. The box in which the bottles comes states that the product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. What a vague world...lol

These companies just don't want to be straight with us. THey say that this Omega-3 EFA with flaxseed oil and fish oil is awesome at decreasing inflammation and helping the oil layer in your eyes. But then they turn around and tell us that it may not work. Phew...

The box also says that most patients see improvements around week 8. So I'm hoping it will work.

Why don't you quit taking Vitamin E and see what your skin does? I quit taking it a few days ago, but I didn't notice any difference. Oh, I have pimples and cysts all over my cheeks. It's horrible. Could this be the dreaded Int' Breakout?

The dryness has set in. I'm only on day 8. I use Cetaphil moisturizer but it makes my face shiny and oily. Any advice on this?

Good Luck with Everything!

yea i was actually thinkin about not taking vitamin E for a couple days......and just see how my skin reacts.

but i tried the cetaphil moisturizer and i hated it! my face was sooooo oily, it was disgusting looking. i really really like Lubriderm! pretty much any Lubriderm lotion is good, the regular, or any of the new stuff they have with like oatmeal in it or whatever.......all i know is that it moisturizes my skin, without making it super greasy. so i would try that if i were u and see how u like it, it might not work the same for u.....but u could give it a try. Good luck!! let me know how ya like it!

but for an update........today is DAY 13 and my skin is doin pretty good

i have 1 zit on my chest!!!! 1!!! thats insane! lol but good though! and its really really smoothing out! i wore a low cut shirt for like the first time in months yesturday! it was so liberating! it seems to happen like that all the time......ill be able to wear a low cut top once, and then bam i get a breakout and go like 4 months wearing sweatshirts! blah! oh well NOT ANY MORE!!! biggrin.gif other than that my face is pretty good, and my back is clearing up really good! so things are looking up!

Guest Brandon

I'm glad you're staying positive and determined to clear. I can't believe it's been almost two weeks already!

Hm... Lubriderm? I'll give it a try when I finish the bottle of Cetaphil first. I need to be more stingy coz I've already spent too much money on products...

I'm glad that your skin's getting better!

I'm on day 9 and everything's the same as it used to be. Cysts and pimples on the cheeks. I wish that the next 2 months would just fly by. doubt.gif

the only side effect I'm noticing is dry lips. I blame that on the weather though.

It's getting chilly! Dry nose is gone coz I've been using vaseline for my nose. Oh I forgot that this is YOUR tane' log. LOL SORRY eusa_doh.gif

Good Luck

TK

haha dont worry about it! im glad to hear things are goin good! and i know what u mean about spending money on products, oh man i used to go to walmart like once a week and spend like $50 to $100 on products. but that was before i went to the derm, now i just use basic stuff which is such a relief! but yea you should definitely try lubriderm, its good stuff! lol

but anyways.........thanks a lot guys, for all your support, i really really appreciate it! biggrin.gif

bella babe,

I know how u feel. I spend soo much money on those acne creams and moistuirizers. Now I can buy a basic cleanser and moisturizer and no acne creams. Right now I'm using like a simple cleanser and moisturizer. So how many days have u been on Accutane. I'm on Day 3. I'm still oilyo side effects....yet. No new breakouts....

~JiN

lol yea its so nice just using simple products!

im on DAY 14 and things are doin really good so far! (knock on wood!)

well good luck with everything! you have a log right?? well if u dont, u should start one so we can see ur progress!

hey bella,

why is ur derm giving u such low dosages as 10mg, and then moving u up to 20mg? my derm started me off at 20mg the 1st month but then jumped me off to 60mg for the 2nd. how much do u weigh?