Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rmbmachine

Accutane Users - What should I expect?

I've read most all of the accutane posts on the first few pages and I've done lots of research on the internet. I'm 21 and I've had cyst acne since I was about 14 or 15. For the last couple of years I was on Dynacin, it recently stopped working and today I went to the derm and she said she thinks I should try Accutane because I've been fighting it long enough.

So here are my questions to any and everyone who have used Accutane.

What was your outcome? Did the treatment work? Did your acne come back? If so, after how long? What other treatments did you use after your acne came back? Did you have to use Accutane more than once and if so, how soon after the first or second treatment?

Basically I'm looking for any and everyone's experiences with the drug.

I realize it's different for everyone but I'm wondering what I can most likely expect after going through 5 months of hell. razz.gif

I'll gladdly answer them.

What was your outcome? First cycle got me 90% clear but then it came back with a vengence a little over a week and a half later.

Did the treatment work? 2nd cycle is.

Did your acne come back? It did the first time. But from what I've heard and my doctors reaction to my breakout after accutane its very rare to have it come back worse then before. However reading the boards it does come back sometimes but in all cases ive seen a 2nd cycle has finished the jo.

If so, after how long? 2 weeks for me but again I think i was very unique.

What other treatments did you use after your acne came back? Differin (it made it worse)

Did you have to use Accutane more than once and if so, how soon after the first or second treatment? Yes. And 3 months after.

No more people took accutane and can share their results? Or should i search through every accutane on the board because it's already been talked about. eusa_silenced.gif

No more people took accutane and can share their results?  Or should i search through every accutane on the board because it's already been talked about.  eusa_silenced.gif

Well I've been on Accutane since July and I've decided to stop treatment yesterday due to some side effects I've been having from it. But I figured I've been on it well past the recommended length of 15-20 weeks so if it was gonna work, I've given it enough time.

My results thus far are I'd say 99.5% clear. I may get one little blemish every few days, but nothing most normal people wouldn't get. My oil is also gone which is great because it was a big problem before. I'm sure once my redness goes does from the Accutane that my skin will finally look normal again. So while I've been on Accutane it has been amazing and has given me great results. And hopefully the results will last. I'd highly recommend taking it.

I was on Accutane about 6 years ago and I was very happy with the results. I had good skin (good like strangers would give me compliments on it) for the following 3-4 years. Then my acne started to come back. I'm going to go back on Accutane again hopefully next month.

My side effects were dryness of *everything*, eyes, nose, skin, scalp -> hair, decreased night vision, chapped lips, nosebleeds, and increased sun sensitivity. I couldn't be outside on a summer day without sunblock.

The worst part of it for me was the blood tests. The only lab that was covered by insurance wasn't that great. LOOK out for yourself at the lab. They jabbed me and gave me bruises all the time and once almost used dirty equipment. A lot of the people hired by those facilities are not well trained.

Dosage: I started out on two red pills a day, increased to one red, one yellow, and then was taking two yellow.

Even though it was very hard for a few month I think it was worth it.

i was on accutane 2 years ago and it'd cleared me up 100%. About a year after I would have a few blemishes here and there but nothing that wasnt manageable. But after 2 years i have decided to go back on it because my breakouts are a little more frequent and I heard alot about second courses ridding acne once and for all.

Well it's not my whole face thats red, mainly just my cheek area. I don't look like a tomato or anything lol.

I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but to the best of my describing abilities the redness kinda looks like what you get after you've been in cold weather for a little while only not as drastic. Basically to put it, the redness is evident, but not abnormal looking or anything that bad.