Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wheezy

microdermabrasion vs. peels

How does having a peel differ from microdermabrasion? What are the benefits of or drawbacks of each? If you combine them are the benefits better over time and many treatments? I am not talking about gettign rid of scars. I am just mainly talking about helping to reduce pore size, and generaly softing and smoothing of skin surface. I am not willing to do an invasive proceedure for my icepicks. But would like some treatments to pep up, smooth and refresh my skin.

Thanks!

Peels are considered chemical exfoliation whereas microdermabrasion is considered manual exfoliation.

Benefits of peels: exfoliation

Benefits of microdermabrasion: exfoliation

Drawbacks of peels: allergic reaction, chemical burn, scarring, etc.

Drawbacks of microdermabrasion: some people have said that it does nothing or in some cases makes scarring more noticeable.

I'd suggest you research both in depth before doing either. You can do a Search on the board for more info.

Thanks Tamara. I had wondered if the Estee Lauder micro stuff made my scars worse but now that some time has passed I'm not really sure. I know Elicina roughed me up. I am 43 and have had two surgeries this year, one to have my gallbladder out. For some reason this year my skin is just looking incredibly old and tired and my picks just seem to have popped out. I am not going to do anything at home. I'd rather go to a "professional":) I don't think I am would ever be willing to do anything like dermabrasion or abaltive laser. Right now I am jsut looking for some options to freshen up my complexion and give me a little emotional lift:)

Thanks Tamara.  I had wondered if the Estee Lauder micro stuff made my scars worse but now that some time has passed I'm not really sure.  I know Elicina roughed me up.  I am 43 and have had two surgeries this year, one to have my gallbladder out. For some reason this year my skin is just looking incredibly old and tired and my picks just seem to have popped out.  I am not going to do anything at home.  I'd rather go to a "professional":)  I don't think I am would ever be willing to do anything like dermabrasion or abaltive laser.  Right now I am jsut looking for some options to freshen up my complexion and give me a little emotional lift:)