Notifications
Clear all

6TH WEEK ON TRETINION, IM SO DEPRESSED I NEED SOME ENCOURAGEMENT

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 11/19/2017 4:12 am

Never in my life i felt so down. Acne sucks. It is making me depressed and im crying while typing this. I need some words of encouragement.
This may be long, but please take time to read, i somehow need to share this to somebody or else i'll break down.
I used to have a very smooth and clear skin, but during summer before my 12th grade this year, i had a couple of pimples and bunch of comedones on my cheeks and forehead. They werent really noticeable unless you look at my face really close but it already bothered me a lot. By july, i realized it was already a mild acne. I tried a lot of otc facial washes and creams. Nothing worked! I tried to be positive and i just thought this was just a phase and maybe my hormones were just messin up with me. It will subside in the next few weeks. BUT LAST OCTOBER, IT GOT WORSE. I noticed that the comedones became inflamed and there are lots of tiny red bumps on both of my cheeks and forehead. My face feels so rough and my skin is so ugly under the sun or any bright lighting. I am a member of a dance troupe in my school. I used to be very confident and felt pretty every performance. But because of this acne i lose a lot of confidence and i felt ugly in front of people. I cant look into their eyes because i am afraid they will notice the pimples and spots on my face. I even consider leaving the troupe(still considering)
I know what i have is nothing severe. But regardless of severeness, it is still acne and acne sucks! It ruins my self esteem!
Last month, october, i talk to my mom and i broke down crying. I told her how stress i am and i guessed she felt the pain and suffering i have because the next day she took me to a dermatologist. She prescribed me 0.025% tretinion(every night) and clindamycin (2x a day). I follow what she said obediently. I experienced the redness, dryness and peeling.
By the 4th week i thought i was finally clearing because my left cheek was finally smooth and bump free. My derm scheduled me for a follow up after a month. I went to my derm this nov. 10 and she said my face improved. I agreed because i did notice the difference. She told me to continue the tret and clindamycin and added a new cream , the super whitening complex to be put every night after the tretinion . I asked her if this will cause break out or if this has side effects, she said that no, this is purely for whitening and lightening the spots.
BUT LAST WEEK, i had new bumps again! I am now on my 6th week and again my left cheek which i thought is finally clearing has new red bumps again. Also im experiencing peeling, dryness again and my face is so itchy most of the time. My right cheek still has bunch of red bumps and a lot of red spots that are very noticeable. I cant even put powder on my face because it is so dry and its peeling, the powder wont scatter evenly. I dont know why but maybe the tretinion cause this again? But i thought i passed that stage already during my 3rd week. I am so sad. I also skipped my dance practices. I refrain going outside as much as possible. I spent most of my time searching the net about this horrible acne, but nothing really helps. I had the obsession of looking in the mirror from time to time. My mom told me that im showing the signs and symptoms of depression. I do think so. Im trying to be optimistic but i cant help it. Every time i look in the mirror i felt worst and this acne fills my thoughts all day long, i cant focus on other things.
I still continue the treatment. Im hoping to be better next week. I posted this because i want to know if some of you has the same or had been in the same situation as mine because i felt lonely and alone.
I miss my beautiful skin.
MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 11/22/2017 12:18 pm

When i was at 6th week of differin (same thing as tretinoin) my face was a total mess, really severe acne, but now after about 5 months i am totally clear. it got all good after about 3 months :). Continue until week 12 and see what happends, it will surely help. And remember than people do not care about your acne as much as you do, we are our own worst critics.

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 11/28/2017 6:18 am

... Currently on week 7 .. Kinda notice little improvement on my right cheek.. However, my forehead is now full of tiny bumps that were really noticeable. There were days wherein my face feel smooth, then after few days it will be back to what it was before. Really annoying and depressing.. I dont have any big cyst or pimples with pus , but i do have these tiny zits, A LOT . They are really small , but since they were too many, i guessed it is actually equivalent to a red angry pimple with pus... My face is so rough and my forehead is really dry.. I wonder when will i stop getting this small tiny bumps.

At what week did you stop getting breakouts? When should i expect consistent improvement.. Huhuhuhuhu

MemberMember
(@vavier)

Posted : 12/02/2017 10:02 pm

Honestly if you could, you should stop taking them. It can really affect you in the long run! Or have you tried the low doses option? Like 10mg a day?

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 12/05/2017 4:50 pm

Im trying to stick with it for at least 12 weeks... I still have hopes that tret will make me clear though it is really frustrating. Im only using tret 0.025% and clindamycin phosphate antibacterial topical solution. I dont know if i should expect anymore. Dissappoiments is only contributing to my depression.

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 12/12/2017 5:34 pm

If you dont see at least 50 60% improvement after 12 weeks you should definitely add the minocycline oral antibiotic. One month of taking that and you will be 100% clear.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 12/12/2017 5:57 pm

Stick with it. Month 6 now. It works. Hang in there. It gets worse before it gets better but it is so worth it!!! 12 weeks is not long enough for this medication. You need to complete the course.

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 12/13/2017 6:05 am

Almost week 10, im quite happy that the peeling and redness is now gone. I dont have any pus-filled pimples. My only problem is that my face is still full of whiteheads or what they called comedones. These tiny bumps are really annoying. Some of them are really itchy and appear red. But all in all, i think im better than before. However, i develop depression and anxiety disorder and my stress over these horrible bumps contributed to it significantly. So even though my skin is improving, i still feel worse. I cant sleep and i still felt miserable and hopeless even though the treatment is working. I cant be happy even if im trying to.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 12/13/2017 4:39 pm

Those comedones will be pushed out and disappear. Have faith. It will happen. Don't press or squeeze.

MemberMember
(@srht)

Posted : 12/16/2017 12:28 am

Try not to judge Tretinion after 7 weeks of usage. Normally it takes upto 3 months and rare cases 6 months for some people. It just works slower for some. I highly suggest you stick to it

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@user639345)

Posted : 01/04/2018 8:17 am

How's it going?

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/05/2018 4:00 am

19 hours ago, Poesjex said:

How's it going?

currently on week 12...

It doesnt look bad in pictures but i swear i still feel worse. Yes it did eliminate most of my pimples ,but skin become so dry and dull, my pores became bigger and my face became very sensitive. It seems like i age 10 years within 3 months. I am better last week and i am almost clear, i thought could finally breathe lightly but i dont know why this week it is getting worse again. Ive been using papaya soap last month but when i went back to my derm last week, she asked me to stop it and use dove sensitive bar instead. Now, I have red patches on both of my cheeks, it feels tight and itchy but i cant scratch it coz i will irritate it further. I used to have a clear smooth face... I miss those times.

P_20180105_161322_1_p.jpg

P_20180105_161327_1_p.jpg

P_20180105_161340_1_p.jpg

MemberMember
(@user639345)

Posted : 01/05/2018 4:26 am

I understand your frustrations but damn girl I would kill for that skin... I know it is difficult but try to be happy you don't have acne anymore? The retinoid skin-cell-renewing cycle will complete now and maybe the itching, dryness and sensitiveness will go away now. I am dreaming that my skin looks like yours one day!

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/05/2018 4:52 am

48 minutes ago, acneistheworst said:
currently on week 12...

It doesnt look bad in pictures but i swear i still feel worse. Yes it did eliminate most of my pimples ,but skin become so dry and dull, my pores became bigger and my face became very sensitive. It seems like i age 10 years within 3 months. I am better last week and i am almost clear, i thought could finally breathe lightly but i dont know why this week it is getting worse again. Ive been using papaya soap last month but when i went back to my derm last week, she asked me to stop it and use dove sensitive bar instead. Now, I have red patches on both of my cheeks, it feels tight and itchy but i cant scratch it coz i will irritate it further. I used to have a clear smooth face... I miss those times.

P_20180105_161322_1_p.jpg

P_20180105_161327_1_p.jpg

P_20180105_161340_1_p.jpg

Are you taking tretinoin in topical form or orally?
Any signs of depression are not to be ignored!

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:44 am

3 hours ago, Poesjex said:

I understand your frustrations but damn girl I would kill for that skin... I know it is difficult but try to be happy you don't have acne anymore? The retinoid skin-cell-renewing cycle will complete now and maybe the itching, dryness and sensitiveness will go away now. I am dreaming that my skin looks like yours one day!

you motivate me somehow..thank you. Yeah these days have been really cold and i guessed that also contributed to the dryness..my skin feel so tight and it hurts when you touch it. I wish that the skin cell renewing to complete real quick. My mom told me that problem is not my acne anymore, im now battling with the psychological and emotional impact of acne. Aggghhhh she was right. Im trying my best to look on the brighter side. Btw are you on tretinoin also?

2 hours ago, hatetane said:
Are you taking tretinoin in topical form or orally?
Any signs of depression are not to be ignored!

i am taking it in topical form. Yeahh depression sucks too... And i think i am at the early stage of it. I cant sleep and i worry constantly . I am taking some supplements and anxiety meds hoping it will make me feel better.

MemberMember
(@user639345)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:50 am

Your skin looks amazing... Just try to think about the days of all these bumps and how you don't have to worry about that anymore, be grateful, be careless, go out without make-up, take a walk and let the sun shine on your bare face, regain your confidence, you can start living your life to the fullest now. It is the dream of all of the people here... I am currently on my 4th week of Epiduo (0,1% adapalene (which is a retinoid) and 2,5% benzoylperoxide), still breaking out and skin looks worse than ever...

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/05/2018 8:04 am

4 minutes ago, Poesjex said:

Your skin looks amazing... Just try to think about the days of all these bumps and how you don't have to worry about that anymore, be grateful, be careless, go out without make-up, take a walk and let the sun shine on your bare face, regain your confidence, you can start living your life to the fullest now. It is the dream of all of the people here... I am currently on my 4th week of Epiduo (0,1% adapalene (which is a retinoid) and 2,5% benzoylperoxide), still breaking out and skin looks worse than ever...

thank you for encouraging me. Your words will really help me greatly..... I look worst during my 3rd week and 6th week. Your skin will be better too. You will experience ups and down especially when you thought you are finally clearing, but then by next week new waves of bumps will appear. Just hang in there, we will be completely clear.

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/10/2018 12:50 am

Im getting worse. The bumps were slowly coming back.My heart is about to explode.

P_20180110_134556_1_p.jpg

P_20180110_134601_1_p.jpg

P_20180110_134605_1_p.jpg

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 01/10/2018 5:33 pm

It usually gets worse before it gets better. Do not worry. Your acne looks mild to me. I appreciate that to you it looks bad but now reality it isn't. Be patient. It will improve. Are you going back to go for a review?

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/11/2018 2:40 am

9 hours ago, Juwalker said:

It usually gets worse before it gets better. Do not worry. Your acne looks mild to me. I appreciate that to you it looks bad but now reality it isn't. Be patient. It will improve. Are you going back to go for a review?

im becoming paranoid because i was clear week ago. Also my face is itchy, dry and tight. Im planning to use nature republic 92% aloe vera gel to moisturize my skin. Is that okay?

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 01/12/2018 5:54 pm

Is it non -comedogenic ie doesn't block pores? Sounds mild and soothing so probably fine. Perhaps try a small area first.

MemberMember
(@acneistheworst)

Posted : 01/20/2018 10:56 pm

I stopped tret last thurs.. Since i keep breaking out and my face is so dry My mom convinced me to stopped it already and just use aloe vera gel.. My face isnt dry anymore but i dont know if i made the right choice.. This is my face right now.

P_20180121_113649_1_HDR_p.jpg

P_20180121_113700_1_HDR_p.jpg

P_20180121_113708_1_HDR_p.jpg

P_20180121_113716_1_HDR_p.jpg