Notifications
Clear all

HELP, PLEASE! Did I over-exfoliate? BHA/AHA?

MemberMember
(@sarahhh3)

Posted : 11/19/2017 2:45 am

Hello there!
I need help! So about a month or so ago I made the stupid decision to start using pore strips. (I did 3, a week apart between each). The blackheads on my nose were never even that bad in the first place, but the pore strips caused me to have huge pores and SO many blackheads that I never had before. Anyways I picked my nose blackheads once to get rid of them but they just returned so I started using AHA on my nose to hopefully increase the cell turnover and solve my problem. A few days after I picked and started using AHA, I noticed my nose developed a bunch of tiny fine lines all over it. Like if I move my nose from one side to the other you can literally see the lines stretching and moving around. It's almost as if I have a thin layer of plastic on it or something. I've attached a picture of a photo I found online that very similarly matches the lines on my nose. At first I though my nose was just dry, but it's not peeling or anything and it doesn't feel tight. A few days passed and I ended up picking at the blackheads on my nose again, getting most of them out. This time when I finished picking I used 2 % salicylic acid gel all over my nose (I had read a lot about the wonders of BHA on blackheads) and then put the AHA on top of it once it had dried. I woke up and thought the lines had improved a bit. Then I reapplied the salicylic acid twice that day (yesterday) and did the same at night with the BHA and AHA. This morning when I woke up however I noticed that the lines looked pretty bad. Regardless I reapplied the salicylic acid because I didn't even suspect it. I thought if anything it would help rid my nose of the lines. I ended up removing it after an hour or two because I started reading on what over-exfoliation looks like. My nose is red, very shiny and smooth, and has this tight look to it (despite it not feeling tight) with many many little lines.I thought these lines were from the pore strips ruining my skin, but now I'm suspecting over-exfoliation. Tonight I'm just using benzoyl peroxide on my nose like the rest of my face and using a ton of moisturizer.

The blackheads on my nose have not returned fortunately, but these little lines look even worse :( Will they ever go away? I'm only 23. How can I get my nose back to normal faster? I've been really depressed the past week because I feel like I've permanently ruined my skin. Any advice or help would be really appreciated at this point, I'm desperate. 

Thank you so much for reading!

fine lines.png

MemberMember
(@clareabella)

Posted : 11/19/2017 4:02 pm

My skin looks like that if i go crazy with the exfoliating products. To me it looks super dry, maybe lay off all the products and just keep it well moisturized and you shpuld start to see a difference.