Notifications
Clear all

Accutane cured me, for three years.

MemberMember
(@ccoryea)

Posted : 11/14/2017 1:36 am

I was 17 when I began my six month accutane journey. I am 20 now. I never had cystic acne, but I did have acne severe enough that, if left untreated, would cause scaring. OTC washes/products worked for a while, then Rx retinoids and antibiotic creams, then oral antibiotics. Eventually even the oral antibiotics stopped working. My dermatologist and I agreed it was time for Accutane. It wasn't a quick decision, I understood all possible side effects and risks.
I took 30mg/day the first two months, 40mg/day months 3-4 and 60mg/day months 5-6. Appart from losing my lips, I experienced dry sinuses, joint pain, back pain, excessive thirst, and fatigue. Blood work done every month was normal. I did all my research and pushed for the highest dose I could get prescribed. I never missed a capsule and took the pill at the same exact time everyday. I even counted out almonds to get the exact amount of fat needed for maximum absorption. The dermatologist called me the poster child for Accutane. And Accutane saved me from scaring and having acne through high school. Skin could not have been clearer. Can't explain how amazing it felt not having to worry about waking up to new bumps. Oh, and my hyperpigmentation went away. BUT IT TOOK YEARS.
So naturally, I forgot about acne, until now. I'm breaking out again and it's getting worse. My skin is "junking" up. I have comedones on my forehead and inflammatory acne starting on my cheeks. I had one large pus-filled lesion on my neck that I popped because it was painful. I got two on my chin and one on my cheek. They have "healed" now but, of course, left new hyperpigmentation. I'm getting the red acne dots on my chest and back.
I am so discouraged. Even if my acne comes back as bad as before Accutane, I do not regret taking the pills. For 3 years I was so confident (in high school). And, now, it's coming back and I'm starting college classes (perfect timing). I understood that Accutane had a cure rate of 85%. I guess I thought the 15% who were not cured had the advanced disfiguring cystic form. I was wrong. I realize this post may sound selfish and vain, but I dealt through hell for six months and stubborn acne years before that. I still have chronic back pain (Back Magic is amazing). I don't see the point of going back on topicals ($$$ and timely), when I've literally tried every one. The whole point of Accutane was so that I wouldn't need to use all these lotions and potions. I'm not going back, if it gets bad again I'll go on Accutane but I'm not going back to the old days.
Did your acne come back post Accutane? If so how bad did it get? Did a second course kick it?

MemberMember
(@jellyy)

Posted : 12/09/2017 5:29 am

mine came back too. i dont find it worth it for me cause it came back worse. it came back with deep cystic which took months to heal and lots of closed comedones on cheeks which are so hard to clear. before accutane the acne isnt like this. then i try accutane again 2 months ago but only for 2months. but the closed comedones are still there. and i think the accutane is still not out of my system yet.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:25 am

I had my acne comeback after all three courses over the years. Its not a cure for many. I think it just buys time until you grow out of it or find out what is causing your specific type of acne.