Notifications
Clear all

how do i ask for accutane????

MemberMember
(@lola23)

Posted : 11/10/2017 1:06 pm

hi guys. so a little background on me and my skin. im an 18 year old girl with oily/combo skin. ive had acne for 8 years now (im almost 19) and ive been to 3 dermatologists (2 in the united states and one international) the two in the uniter states have prescribed me over 13 medications and other remidies anywhere from: pills, topicals, extractions, acne injections i think coritisone, ive been on proactive, tried essential oils, diet changes like cutting dairy out, clay masks, probiotics, facials, and overall no medication to see if doung nothing would help me out. i also suffer from scars and it has really taken a toll on my self esteem and confidence. the dermatologist i went to outside of the US prescribed me isotrerinoin but i didnt take it since i wouldnt be under his supervision and because i was just visiting the country. i have done so much research over the past year and a half about accutane so i know the side effects and all of that but i have a dermatologist appointment coming up in a week. how can i ask my dermatologist to prescribe be accutane and will he even think its necessary. right now i have like mildish acne but when im expecting my period, i get really painful cysts that take two-three weeks to heal and my previous doctor told me that my hormones were okay. please help out and what to say or even your experience with accutane. thank you!!

MemberMember
(@pleasehelp123)

Posted : 11/10/2017 11:53 pm

Hi Lola,

I have taken a 5 month course of Accurate in the past (5 years ago to be exact) and i wanted to provide you some insight. Firstly please do your research - thoroughly. Accutane is not a medication to be taken lightly and has both positives and potentially permanent negatives.

The positive is that it does clear your skin - i had moderate acne (many pustules etc) which i no longer suffer from. In saying this, i have been left with permanently chapped lips - i still use a chapstick daily to combat this. I also suffered from frequent facial flushing after using accutane and although over time i have been able to manage this, it has left my skin hyper sensitive. During my treatment i also had Angular Chelitits (constant cracked corners of the mouth - red/sore)

Some people side effects are minimal, and not permanent, but for others they can be a lot worse. Not trying to scare you, just please be aware of the risk you are taking when putting a strong medication like Accutane in your body.

Dermatologists will generally use accutane as a last resort after all other avenues are exhausted such as other meds, topicals, creams, diet etc etc. If you do decide to use it, use one who is knowledgeable and who you can keep in open communication with if you need too. Have an open and honest conversation with your derm about accutane usage and if its right for you.

Can i ask have you tried taking the pill? I hear this can assist with hormonal acne.

All the best - just remember acne is not permanent.

MemberMember
(@lola23)

Posted : 11/11/2017 2:29 am

i havent taken any birth control just because a majority of what ive heard from people is that you need to find one that works for you and some can cause even more acne, weight gain/loss, and other side effects. to me, the side effects of accutane seem worth it because ive had acne for such a long time. not gonna lie, it is very scary to think about the side effects being permanently but its a risk im willing to take. how should i go about asking my dermatologist? should i just mention it to him or should i let him bring it up first?

MemberMember
(@pleasehelp123)

Posted : 11/12/2017 1:46 am

Hi Lola,

I know many females have had success using birth control pills to control hormonal induced acne with little to no side effects. The hormones in birth control pills can assist in managing the amount of Sebum (oil) produced. i personally would recommend speaking with your GP surrounding a suitable birth control pill (one suitable for improving acne) before using accutane as this has been found to be a proven remedy for a lot of females, and an a avenue you haven't yet explored.

In regards to your question though for me personally, after exhausting all other methods, my dermatologist offered me the option to use Accutane. If you want to discuss Accutane with your dermatalogist then ask him questions, let him provide you some further information and share his view if he thinks it would be suitable for your situation.

You are correct in saying birth control pills can have side effects, most drugs do, however the side effects of birth control pills are generally widely known and researched by medical professionals, and there are many birth control options on the market, compared to some of the potential side effects of accutane which can vary and can be long term or permanent in some people.

Just my 2 cents - hope everything all works out either way. Good luck with your decision.