Notifications
Clear all

I will destroy acne

MemberMember
(@white-goodman)

Posted : 10/23/2017 10:55 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently created an account to document my journey with accutane, which I just started taking 4 days ago. I am a 19 y/o male who weighs about 150 lbs, 6'0". My derm said I need to take 70mg based on my weight, so I follow this pattern: 80mg one day, 80mg the next day, and then 40mg the third day. Repeat. This evens out to roughly 70mg per day. 

My acne isn't super bad, but it's been really persistent and I'm tired of it. I've tried lots of topicals and antibiotics before resorting to accutane, but I'm confident that this will destroy acne for good. So far, no side effects, but I'm armed with a healthy dose of lotion and aquaphor each morning and night. 

I attached some pics of me on day 1, before taking any accutane. This is me straight out of bed in the morning...forgive the groggy look lol...college. 
Good luck to all who are embarking on this journey too! We got this

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 10/27/2017 5:09 pm

Good luck! Hope all goes well with your chosen method. :)

MemberMember
(@white-goodman)

Posted : 10/28/2017 10:30 pm

Day 10 update:

I'm wrapping up day 10 of accutane and just wanted to let y'all know what's up. The first few days were pretty normal: no dryness, a breakout here and there. I was starting to get maybe a little cocky and was thinking I would be the one outlier in the millions of people who have taken accutane to not get any dryness. Well, a couple days ago my lips got a little dry and yesterday I got a wakeup call via two nosebleeds. I have been using aquaphor morning and night and even put a little in my nose to help its dryness. I have broken out a little more than usual, but I believe that is part of the IB (initial breakout) that is to be expected. So far, no pains or other side effects... just dry skin on face and lips along with nosebleeds. I'll post progress pics each month, so that'll be in a few weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm hoping for solid results by Christmas and crystal clarity by the end of February!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 11/04/2017 3:29 pm

Welcome to acne.org! Thanks for sharing your experience of Accutane. I'm currently on my fourth month of the stuff and it's going well so far.

I found that the worst of the side-effects hit me towards the end of the second week - so around the same point you're at now. My skin felt dry and my lip even got a tear in it from being dry. And then the dryness actually kinda went away. Now my skin and lips are definitely drier than they were before Roaccutane, but not painfully so. Just make sure you use a good moisturiser from the start. Cetaphil facewash and moisturiser are a popular choice, and they're affordable. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@white-goodman)

Posted : 11/10/2017 12:03 am

Day 22

Unfortunately, the initial breakout hit me about 10 days ago and has been going steady. Especially on my chin, which has been my main problem area forever. Little oil gland thingys are coming to the surface of my skin and falling out, which I take as a good sign. My skin is really dry, despitelotion morning and night. I am just gritting my teeth to try to get through this phase....pain in the butt. However, my back has been clearing up nicely so I figure my face has to follow suit at some point!

I know one day I'll look back at my time with acne and laugh

MemberMember
(@white-goodman)

Posted : 11/21/2017 12:41 am

Day 29

The photos are from day 29, which was my 4 week mark. My skin is still breaking out pretty significantly and is really dry upon waking up in the morning and at the end of the day, despite lotion after showering each morning and night. I think I'm going through the worst of it now.....hopefully. I saw my derm the other day and she signed me up for month 2. I have only had 2 nosebleeds (both on same day) and minimal pains/aches. Dry skin is the main issue, along with redness. It seems like breakouts dry up quicker but stay red for a while. Cheeks are doing ok but chin is struggling to do anything right. Back is better, chest is pretty much clear. Let me know if you have any questions!
 unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

MemberMember
(@white-goodman)

Posted : 11/30/2017 1:21 am

Day 42

Things are happening. My skin has dried up all over, especially on my arms, back, and, of course, face. New zits seem to be slowing down and the dryness helps them heal up faster after popping them. The main problem I'm having is that at the end of the day my face is flaky, as if the moisturizer has worn off. I try to slather extra on in the morning to combat this, but sometimes flaking will happen anyways. This may also be due to the dry fall/winter weather now (I'm in Tennessee), but I can cope with it.

I'm just grinding now with finals and trying to focus less on my face, so hopefully once Christmas break rolls around I will be able to really appreciate any progress I've made. I can't believe I'm already on week 7!

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 12/03/2017 5:58 pm

All the best with the Finals. Christmas will be here before you know it!