Notifications
Clear all

How do you stop a cyst from forming on Accutane?!

MemberMember
(@kgirl0102)

Posted : 10/23/2017 5:20 pm

Hi, y'all! I've never done something like this before so I guess I'll just jump right in.
September 11th I started Accutane on 40mg a day and October 11th I was bumped up to 60mg a day, my acne is quite severe as I get really huge cysts all over. Mostly confined to my chin area and now since starting Accutane, right smack dab in the middle between my eyes! Lovely, I know. Most of it has calm down, especially since last week when I got 3 cysts and 2 scars injected at my dermatologists office.
But now I've got three new bumps forming (two under my chin right by a scar that likes to swell like a balloon when a cyst forms by it, and one on the side of my nose) and I need advice on how to stop it before this weekend!! I have a date that I might just have to cancel if they grow too big, although I'd really rather not. This guy is great, he's funny, down to earth, we like all the same things, and I really think things could go well with him.... With that being said:
I've tried BP 10% on them and they're still persisting. Salicylic Acid 2% seems to calm them down but only for a short time and they've started to get bigger! I've tried icing cysts in the past, but it seemed to be in vain. Definitely the same goes for warm compresses, it just aggravates them more. Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar seems to help but I don't know if it'll work on the new cyst on the side of my nose seeing as it just started hurting and forming today. As I'm typing this a friend is going to get me 100% Organic tea tree oil and coconut oil to try out as an overnight mask.
Basically, if any of you have any advice on how to stop (what feels like) a huge cyst in its tracks from forming on the side of my nose, please let me know! I'd really rather not cancel on such a sweet guy!

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/23/2017 5:42 pm

Can't advise re the cyst but I would advise you not to cancel the date with a sweet guy!!! Just be open about it and he will most likely tell you you shouldn't worry about it. Enjoy ur date.
As you are on accutane I would be really careful. You would be much safer to just leave the cyst well alone! Don't touch it. Just explain to him about your medication and I bet he will be sympathetic.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 10/23/2017 8:06 pm

when i get a cyst lump which is starting to form, i find aspirin topically over night makes it go down. - i use x2 dispersible aspirin, mix it with a very small amount of water and use on the effected area.. works for me.

do some research before trying aspirin.

MemberMember
(@kgirl0102)

Posted : 10/23/2017 8:19 pm

Thanks! I'll do my research and try that!

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 10/23/2017 8:21 pm

1 minute ago, KGirl0102 said:

Thanks! I'll do my research and try that!

lmk how you get on. i would be interested to know.

MemberMember
(@bellacat)

Posted : 10/24/2017 10:48 pm

Ice!!

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 10/30/2017 4:34 pm

I totally agree with Juwalker. Don't cancel the date. If he has a funny personality, maybe he won't dwell on the bumps too much and maybe he'll make things lighter for the both of you. Good way for you to know as well if he's only into looks or what's more important for him.

Best of luck and keep us posted how it went. 

KGirl0102 liked
MemberMember
(@kgirl0102)

Posted : 11/09/2017 1:38 am

So unfortunately nothing worked except for a combination of salicylic acid (10%) this old unused bottle of Benzoyl Peroxide Emollient Foam (5.3%). I think you can only get it through prescription but this stuff has stopped the cysts I start to get and has even made pre-existing cysts come to a head and drain. So that works! My derm told me I shouldnt be using anything on my skin and to just let the Accutane do its job, but if this stuff saves me from huge painful cysts then I think I'm just going to keep on using it lol.

Oh yeah and the date went amazing! Truly a great guy who doesn't mind the bumps. Might be a keeper.

Juwalker liked