Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Petsme

Tips for scarring?

Hello! I have quite a few scars and would like some help on how to deal with them! I have 2 saucer-shaped scars, 2 shallow but still noticeable rolling scars, and a few icepick scars. One of my ice pick scars creates a big dimple in my skin and is inside of a rolling scar. Would TCA peels be able to help me over a long time? Or do I need different intervention for best improvement? :) thank you! I have outlined the rolling scars in green, and posted 4 photos! The scars aren't too deep and are mostly more noticeable when shadowed! When I pull my skin taut, they almost completely flatten.

scarring 1.jpg

scarring 2.jpg

scarring 3.jpg

IMG_1686.JPG

Edited by Petsme
Extra photo

i personaly think you need rf microneedling and perhaps subscision with filler.i got something like you and i been hitting it with 25% tca peels and although its improved the appearance and even reduced the scars a bit they are still there so recommending tca straight off the bat i dont think i would recommend.

if you can only do at home theres not much you can do,i wouldnt recommend needling,it made mine worse and a voice in my head says it will more likely do same to you.tca peels are the only other at home remedies.it will help,you will notice improvement but it will take 25%+ strength and lots of them,i am currently on my 7th.

subsicion if theres some cavity to fill but rf microneedling might be better theraphies.

there might be some ice picky type you could tca cross also.

i think so far off my own experience with them type of scars like yours tca will and can help but it takes ages and idealy its not realy the right type of treatment.
:)

I would recommend you go for subcision first with an experienced professional and then do a TCA peel after. I think you can get great results that way.

Another option you can try is dermarolling which has evolved into DermaPen. I personally use a DermaPen and it has given me noticeable improvement over 6 months. I'd say around 50% so far. there are many misconceptions about why it only works for half of the population and I notice often times that their lack of results are due to lack of knowledge regarding microneedling in general. If you decide on this then get a 12 needle DermaPen. It looks like almost all of your scarring is in the cheek area so I would start with a 1.5mm needle depth and stick with that if you see progress within 2 months. If you don't see progress at the end of month 2 then you can up the depth to 2mm max and don't go any higher. If you have scars under your eyes or above your upper lip or right below your lower lip then lower the needle depth to 1mm to treat in those areas. Treatment should be every 10-12 days and apply hyaluronic acid immediately after needling so your wounds suck in moisture which is great for your skin.

Always research any dermatologists, surgeons etc... before looking to get any treatment from them. Always research the proper methods to conduct any treatment as well as pre and post-treatment care instructions. 

For example: Microneedling device should be moved up, down, side to side, and diagonally in each area. Only needs to be applied until any specific area reaches the point of erythema which is a nice red obvious texture. 

No sun exposure (wear sunscreen or hat if you must go outside), sweat, or water or anything on the face such as makeup for 24 hours after a treatment. Be prepared to stay red for a day or two as well depending on your skin.

Bleeding can occur and it's common and normal. Numbing cream may be used (look up proper way to apply it) and skin tends to swell right after treatment which may leave you with a temporary better appearance of your scars until swelling goes back down. In the long run after you've kept breaking down and promoting new collagen formation, your scars can turn out a permanently improved noticeable appearance. 

Any treatment takes time, consistency, and proper administering methods to produce vast improvements. So be prepared for some dedication on your end.

Edited by Tano1

IMG_1700.JPGMy scars are extremely shallow and almost invisible unless shadowed (I took pictures in the worst angles/ lighting possible) will I really need subcision still? I am not exactly sure how deep a scar has to be to involve subcision :) And yes, I only have scarring on my right cheek because I had a cyst the size of a golfball there that stayed for 5 months unfortunately. Thank you both for your advice! I've researched the dermapen and I do think I will try it out! 

IMG_1704.JPG

Edited by Petsme

Quad is right.

Dermarolling will do little for your scar type. I would instead do Infini RF. 

TCA will only help you aftr subcison and possible filler depending on the depth of the pits. I do not see a lot of fat loss, perhaps it's the pics. I see some shallow scars. If you pull your skin taughnt and it flattens then augmented the upper cheek will help, the overall scars, not the scar areas themselves. 

Dermapen is probably the worst device I have ever seen, countless reviews online also state this, .. it's cheap,... it microtears the skin, this has been proven in multiple Youtube videos. It uses cheap Vibrator parts. Look at the Derminator ... the site is just .com after it, it's quicker and better made as well. I get no compensation through mentioning them, it's just the best thing out there right now at the cheapest $$$.

We have reviews of Drs here under the faq (top post of the acne scar sub), these all have been used by multiple people, and I agree research but alot of this is marketing disinformation. 

To recap on Quads great advice to you, ... you need NOKOR sub with filler afterwards. Address these concerns to a proper DR. You can do peels after you fix the indentation for texture. 

Hello- thank you very much beauitfulambition. Admittedly I had thought the dermapen WAS the derminator that I'd seen you recommend. My bad :( I researched both and now realize the difference! Strangely enough, the two rolling scars used to NOT be tethered (they weren't rolling about ~3 months ago) but have slowly grown deeper and feel thick when I touch them. I suppose I will wait a few more months until my body is COMPLETELY done healing, (I still have a ton of PIE and the area feels somewhat raw) and then see about having a few subcisions :) is it possible to still use the derminator/ tca peels if I get filler after a subcision? I read your posts and apparently the type of filler i should be getting would dissipate shortly, but will using subsequent scarring techniques damage it? 

EDIT: My scars are only about 1/4 the length of a pencil eraser deep. 

Edited by Petsme

I insert 2 pics of myself for you,this is because your scarring is so similar to mine.i been doing tca cross @ 100%,i am currently peeling after performing my 7th tca peel at 25%.i have noticed improvement but i dont have the before pics.if my face is messy forgive me as i am on day 5 from 25% tca peel.

5F86CADA-F462-4796-BFFB-98E385C00817.jpeg

0EECDB83-AE54-46EA-BA9F-6287F0BDC9FC.jpeg

Beautifulambition can now have good laugh and yack on about fat loss and stuff like that!
^_^

i am thinking am gonna hit rf microneedling,sorry no before pics but trust me i was messy and 9 months of tca work has done me well.i post as mine was so similar and still is to the op.

now i can post in the months to come what my skin is like and might help op.

sorry for the red as its tca peel after all.

Quadboy- why did you not have subcision preformed? I feel really sad when I see my face in sunlight and my cheek is a bit shadowed :( the indent from the rolling scars looks sooooo big! I think subcision would help but I'm not sure that they are deep enough for filler :) I probably won't do anything for 6 months but I just want to have a plan in order! Our scars are very similar! Like my one cheek has a kind of wide area (about 2 inches wide and long) that is "sunken" in, plus some very shallow icepicks and 2 saucer-shaped scars ( I don't know what these are called.)

@Quadboy I am so grateful for your help. I really think you have helped many others such as myself. your fixing your issues that bug you and for that it's all I can hope for. With some subcision and filler you would have that fat loss all fixed up. Keep up on those peels. You've come along way, I can tell. Thanks for your bravery, of posting those!

Infini RF is great for those box cars ;-)

@Petsme Yes HA filler lasts about 6 to 12 months, you get it under the scar with your Nokor subcision, the body replaces the area with your own tissue. Some people top up yearly, aging does play a role as we all sag and loose fat. If they are only 1/4 of the length of a pencil eraser deep that's quite shallow, discuss with your DR bumps from being so superficial and using a filler that is not water attracting. You can always do a deep augmentation if you pull the temples back and things look better. This would volumize the overall area. Many people if the scars are very shallow do the vacuum method and avoid spot placing filler because of possible bumps.

Edt: if the scar is very wide but saucer shaped they may fill it as the evenly disperse the filler all over the spot. But not a big blob in the center, this is why a good injector is needed ;-P This is not amateur hr ... Mainly where filler does not work well is tight scars that are surface oriented as all the filler is in one spot, the wider the more they can disperse. 

You could definately try tca peels,start weak and work your way up,you got texture to the sides of the nose under your eyes and it will definately help that.if you got any ice picks there that can get a whittled toothpick into then tca cross will help them buta 25% tca peel repeated monthly will definately help overall.

i dont think its the right solution to the scsrring though like i said before,you need something intrusive,sonething that gets under the scar.

i would say stay away from any needling,i can see your boxcar getting worse and the longer snail trail type (can i say that) getting worse.

tca work is long road,its daunting at first and i think thats what puts people off,its acid its scary,you gotta sacrifice the sun for shade etc etc.but,while your saving your £s for other treatments you can spend £10 and get some tca 100%,some latex gloves and water the tca down and away you go and month after month its gonna help.

I would like to allow my skin a bit longer to heal (I am still on my last month of Accutane, have a lot of residual redness, and some scars are still immature) 
What I think I will do is: 

• Shortly after accutane: Start Glycolic acid 10% lotion every night (prime my skin for later peels)
  • Around ~4 months after accutane: Lactic acid peels once a week at 40% (also to prime skin)
  • Around ~6 months after accutane: start 12% TCA and then 15% peels to prime skin for higher percentages
  • Around ~8 months after accutane: get first subcision (will probably get 3. I think I will try suctioning for the first two and if results are not the best, fillers last)
  • During subcisions, I will continue TCA peels, working my way up to 25-30% 
  • If I still am not seeing notable results in a year, I will add derminator and alternate between that and TCA peels
    • I am sad that TCA peels will get rid of my freckles!!!
    • Not interested in laser EXCEPT for IPL/ Vbeam for any residual redness that may persist in over a year from now.
    • I would be happy with overall skin 40% improvement, and really my MAIN concern are the rolling scars. Most people I see have ice pick scars, so they don't bother me very much, but the rolling scars just make me look old and like I have a chunk missing out of my skin. If I could improve JUST the rolling scars by 70%, that would be a miracle. Not sure if that is being whimsical, though. 
I just want to say thank you to both Quadboy and beautifulambition! I appreciate both your help and I am so thankful that you courageously posted your pictures, Quadboy. :) 

I will happily post my results and journey through scar revision once I begin! Edited by Petsme

@beautifulambition

You've peaked my interest. Although I haven't personally gotten anything but improvement from my DermaPen, I will try the Derminator myself to see if improvement continues. Researched it more and it looks like microneedling has upgraded even further which is great.

In the video they admit there was some microtearing with the derminator as well. I think a simple fix if microtearing was the only concern with the DermaPen would be to use it as a stamp or apply serum to help it glide better and lower the speed. That goes for either product. 

I am really nervous about subcision, but I know that if I get about 3 treatments my face would look a lot better! My scars are very shallow but a large area of my face is tethered... I was watching some videos, and I suppose they will have to sweep underneath the entire area!! I know it is a small price to pay (plus a few days- a week or so of downtime) for helping my skin, but it still makes me cringe a bit!

I am sorry @Petsme this was your post, just realized ... Good treatment plan I forgot to mention above. 

Don't be scared, its very superficial the sub. They are not diving in to deeply. You'll look a little bruised but then over the next few months get some improvement ;-) You can always try it I suppose on a certain spot of the face and then do the rest latter, to hide the area better if that suits your lifestyle more ;-P 

I think Infini RF would help you to on those areas but you can derminator if you wish.

I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible because I am graduating undergrad next year and starting medschool. If the derminator doesn't work out for me I will definitely have Infini RF later!!! Thank you for your help! :) Could I expect these rolling scars on the side of my face to fill in enough to look "normal?" I know it won't be perfect, but I would like it to be not so obvious :( Don't mind the scar under my lip, it's from a childhood accident and it doesn't bother me :)

IMG_1728.JPG

Edited by Petsme