Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
titan44

What next for me? Please help

Hi everyone.

I'm 15 years old and I've had acne for about 2-3 years. It has knoked my confidence down unbeleivably and i am really self concious about it. At the moment i am on oxytetracycline as prescribed by my doctor (3 pills a day, each one 250mg). It hasnt made any difference, i have been on this regime for over a month. My skin is fairly oily and i have large white heads, few cysts and black heads on my nose and around my chin. What do you think i should try next? I was thinking accutane or maybe vitamin B5? Thanks for any help cry.gif

is there anything else (not accutane) that has a fairly good success rate that i could try that my doctor could prescribe? i havent been transferred to a derm as yet. What about b5?

Hi everyone.

I'm 15 years old and I've had acne for about 2-3 years.  It has knoked my confidence down unbeleivably and i am really self concious about it.  At the moment i am on oxytetracycline as prescribed by my doctor (3 pills a day, each one 250mg).  It hasnt made any difference, i have been on this regime for over a month.  My skin is fairly oily and i have large white heads, few cysts and black heads on my nose and around my chin.  What do you think i should try next?  I was thinking accutane or maybe vitamin B5?  Thanks for any help cry.gif

i just came back from my doct :@, she said to stay on oxytetracycline for another 2 months and upped my dose to 4x250mg a day. and a 2.5% benozyl peroxide cream.

I am really sorry that you are going through this right now. I am twenty-seven and am insecure about my acne. I can't imagine having it combined with the insecurity I already felt at your age about everything.

Most antibiotics take about three months to kick in. Judging from the fast pace of a school year, that probably doesn't seem quick enough. Has your doctor also given you any lotions, face washes or creams to assist the antibiotic? There are other options out there besides Accutane and a holistic approach to anything is never a bad idea.

I suppose I am influenced by the doctors as well but Accutane should really be a last resort for either severe cystic or completely stubborn acne. Until every other drug has been exhausted or the severity of the acne calls for it, the use of Accutane should be postponed. I am only saying this due to the side effects and I'm not referring solely to the ones that are sensationalized (suicide, brain swelling, liver damage). I am referring to chapped lips that you won't have on antibiotics, dry eyes, headaches, joint pains, insomnia/exhaustion, and the dreaded initial breakout which can do a number on an already battered self confidence.

If I were in your position, I would discuss all options with your doctor. Call your dermatologist and let him know that you are not seeing the results that you want. Tell him how the acne is effecting your life.

I wish you the best and I hope you know this: It Will Get Better. biggrin.gif

ooooo! go on the regimen. you already have the bp 2.5%!!! it will be perfect. it is the best way to clear (imo). the antibiotic will help the effectiveness of the regimen and then when you're clear, you can stop taking the antibiotic and you will stay clear.

seriously!

It is listed on this site. Go to the initial page of Acne.Org and take it from there. It has worked wonders for a lot of people but it really depends on how severe your acne is. For instance, I don't think it works very well with cystic acne.