Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, for all that are here, I wanted to take your time to talk about my transition from glycolic acid 10% to glycolic acid 30% and my future progress to 50%.  I started using 10% recommended by my dermatologist. I used it until i could tolerate it at him and i decided to move to 30% im a couple days ive been shedding skin a lot w some stinging but its bearable. Im not sure if its my optimism trying to persuade me but i feel like bumps of skin coming from my scars and i was wondering if its new skin coming up from the dead skin, most of my scars are rolling scars, at what percent did you guys use and for how long did it take for you to see results? Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Your face will/should swell up on hogh strength peel.do yourself a favour,dint touch your skin,dont push it or apply any intentional pressure on it.after the second day after applying higher strength peel,so thats usualy 48hrs,skin will peel,it can go on for a further 5 days but your face will tend to swell up fir first couple days or so.in morning when you wake up you should see your face looks nice but at end of day it will resort back to its old state,it will go on like that for a week or so,even further into the second week when theres no peeling at all.eventualy your face wont look as nice on morning and you should find what you have is what you got,you should notice something but wont be a major improvement,just something but week after week your face should look a little improved.

i done 6 tca at 25%,its working but i doing 7th in a few days time.

its gonna take multiple treatments and a month wait each time for healing.
:)

Thank you for your response, i haven't had any swelling or anything i think my tolerance for 10% glycolic acid built a good tolerance for 30%, my skin has been peeling a lot as far as dead skin, ive had scars going on two years now and theres been improvement, but really right now im trying to send them packing and get a clear skin tone. Im using the perfect image 30% glycolic acid and ive been apply it 3-4 minutes every night, the dermatologist isnt applying it to me its a take home. I read online that 30% is the percentage where you start to see significant improvement

I dont know,i would have thought tca is the choice acid but i am not 100% sure,i guess its go with what your familiar with and what gets the result you are after.

depending on your scar type and severity and what type skin and healing property you could be at it for a year or even more.

i am still at it after 6 months and i did 3 tca cross before so thats 9 month total and can see change but its not near where i want to be.noticable change in texture,noticable change in everything but scars tend to change and i notice 1 scar is getting less depth but its stretching and widened.

no special preperations and no follow up healing routine,just moisturiser and stay out of sun and day light,thats all i do.

estimate 30% improvement on mild/moderate ice pick and boxcar.

Quad gave great advice.

If you are going that high on Glycolic might as well do TCA. TCA percentages you referenced above OP are different than TCA. Glycolic is considered a superficial peel, it is often used before TCA in a Jessner solution to make it even stronger. Glycolic is great for very light acne scarring and is more topical than a TCA that can go into the dermis. If your applying a peel every night then obviosuly it's a light peel. With TCA you would have a week of crusting or down time and redness after, ... why because it strips the layers of skin so you can get under those pits. Also as Quad said unless your scarring is very minimal your seeing skin swelling after the peel, thus giving the illusion of vanishing scars. I do not suggest Peels for rolling scars first, ... I suggest NOKOR subcision to release the tethers and HA filler on any spots that have a pencil eraser pit or more, or saline injections for smaller ones. Once things are leveled then you can do TCA spot peels on the areas for texture.

A peel like Glycolic I cant say you would see results from it alone, of course I do not know your scar type maybe they are minimal.

I really am appreciating the feedback you guys, Ive been wanting to have this discussion w others besides my derm, ive had two treatments of picosure which is like light lasers w no down time, he recommended me doing those, and following up w 10% glycolic acid but i got used to it and bumped myself to 30, i have noticed on spots where it feels like scar tissue thats left over which were bumps are starting to crust up and become dry skin.  Thank you guys for the tca recommendation i have never heard of that before, my next appointment w my derm is in november, if you guys dont mind i'd love to keep y'all updated. Quad I'd appreciate hearing your progress as well. My derm told me that tca and glycolic and salycilic give about the same results but i dont really know what to believe right now. My derm told me that glycolic acid goes deeper into skin the longer you leave it on and the higher the percent, but yea thanks for the feedback.

I forgot to mention that when i wake up in the morning, i usually apply it at night, but when i wake up my whole face is like full of dead skin shed, like it covers all over my cheeks, i use a moisturizer too, am i shedding skin maybe to much or something, it comes in intervals, like two days ill have light to no shedding, then usually the third day, ill have a face full of scratch off skin, it sounds disgusting but true xD

Edited by BraceletMan32
Typo

Be careful here, ... your doing picosure. Looks like your derm is using Glycolic to do some cell turnover / for hyperpigmentation. If your going to high I don't see this as beneficial for that purpose. Secondly your doing higher glycolics every night? That is not how your supposed to use Glycolic, your skin needs time to properly heal and regenerate, ... it can make things worse. Hence the peeling and flaking. I don't see why he didn't just give you tretinorin or retin a, perhaps its used for some purpose I am unaware of. That is not how you peel, with your skin becoming dry. Are you using Aquaphor or a deeply moisturizing cream. Moisture is very important for cell renewal. TCA you do once a month, or once every few months, not every night as it's a stronger peel. Be careful, your skin may be swelling from all the peels. Stop for a few weeks and see what happens, does the skin improve or flake (indent again). Again you should be moisturizing heavily at night so there is not as much flaking. Never "scratch off" the skin that can lead to scarring.

Yep,even low strength peel at less than 10% you want to wait for healing,all the benefits of peels is in the healing.

do not do peels close to each other regardless what anyone says!

My skin routine is proactiv's 3 step program ill exfoliate with step 1 apply the glycolic acid to dry face, then wash it off after like 3 or 4 minutes of stinging then ill apply their pore targeting treatment w 2.5% benzoyl then their step 3 which is a .5% salicylic acid hydrator, it works really well, w/o it my skin is really dry.  Im not experiencing any swelling though you guys, at least i dont think, i had an allergic reaction to accutane a while back which caused my face to swell. And im not experiencing anything like that just dry skin after a shower. The box says do the peel two times a week, so you are probably right ab slowing down. The skin ive been peeling hasnt scarred, but i guess its safe to take precautions, if you guys had to make a guideline or step by step of what i should do, what do yu recommend, the two treatments of picosure werent too bad just some redness. But yea no swelling so far idk. I just saw a bunch of people using 30% everyday posting on the forums so i figured thats what i would do, no pain or nothing i did the same w 10%

@BraceletMan32 That is way to many things at once. If your doing glycolic with all that keep it lighter concentrations. Benzoyl is drying. and Sali at the same time? When we say side effects we don't mean swelling, more dryness, flaking, edema, overly aggressive oil production, potentially even lots of zits too as the skin is turning over to quickly and cannot heal. I suppose in low concentrations this is fine, but not high strength regular glycolic acid. 

Please tell your provider your doing all this as there could be complications in healing and pores clogging. 

Your picture disappeared, .... what I recall you need nokor subcision and some HA filler for the acne scar depressions.

IF you do TCA peels do one a month, not all this glycolic. IF you want topical light glycolic usage for skincare thats ok.  under 10% or water your glycolic down.

@beautifulambition Ok that sounds good, i do have a pimple from cell turnover, dry skin not so much recently, is there any way around the needles im really afraid of them, im reducing the amount of times a use my glycolic acid as well in order for my skin to heal, my proactiv system balances out though the moisturizer helps balance the benzoyl, i really just hate this, it honestly feels like i keep running into brick walls, thank you for your help though. What they wanted me to do was use oicosure then use 10% glycolic acid until i was 2 years off of accutane then i think they wanted to do fraxel on me. My next appointment is in november, if i may ask, can you go to the reviews on amazon under perfect images glycolic 30% review and explain how she got such great results, she had indentions like mine and it seemed over a 3 month course of this stuff it somehow almost disappeared. I was just confused by it

https://www.amazon.com/Glycolic-Acid-30-Gel-Peel/dp/B006ZBKH2Y#review-media-gallery_1508139297514 that is the link, im just trying to see what your opinions are on her process, it almost seems like her scars vanished, somehow

@Quadboy I forgot to tag you but i meant to ask, do you think we could keep each other up as far as progress? I'm really gladyou guys told me this or I'd still be using it every day haha, seems humorous but also feels like ive dodged a huge bullet, i will try to keep updated through my next appointment, ive made a couple of goals for myself to try and cope w the situation. One definitely being to reduce my use lol

No point in updates as i just go looping each month,this is peeling unless your gonna break up the loop with needling or other therapy.just dont suggest diet change when peeling,losing weight can have a negative effect on your skins appearance and same if you use anti biotics.

suggest if your gonna get a anti biotics for acne then do so now and do peels as you go along.as anti biotics kills bacteria your face texture will change,become more smooth and less bumps,your scarring will change as you lose fat when dieting,then you think your peels are getting right in to the scar then you put weight on and your face podges up and you will notice the scarring is prominent again.best is to peel on the face you always have.

No a doctor should do subcision if you have any skin depressions. Have them use anesthetic and lay back in the chair. Doing laser and peels will not fix skin that has fat loss or is tethered down. IT can make things worse, it's like frosting the cake before the cake even bakes. Amazon glycolic pictures and all that are lies, it's marketing 101 they want you to buy there stuff and think it's magical. It is not individual to your case or your scars. It over promises and under produces off your desire for improvement. They photoshop many pictures. Scars must be treated off your condition, please post close ups if you want individual treatment help. But yes needles are involved.

There is a difference between low dose glycolic, look in the above acne.org store, and a high percentage peel your doing every night. One is for cosmetic and the other a simple peel. I would not be doing all that at once.

If you like your derms recommendations then continue, I would get a recommendation by another Dr. 

@beautifulambition Thank you, do you think you can help me with some questions to ask my dermatologist next time i go? She seems very considerate to my situation and wants to help me, she classified my scarring as moderate if i remember, I just really want to get the best questions suitable for her, i will certainly do more research as well, so i do not mess things up @Quadboy Im very active haha, i do need to gain some weight though, for now i am just going to stick w natural methods such as lots of vitamin A and water, while also maintaining my diet, until my next derm appointment. Im not familiar with the term looping i may have misunderstood, thank you for your help though

Looping,going round in circles doing the same thing over and over.this is what peels are about,once a month or as scheduled,apply peel and wait the alloted healing time and repeat.

@beautifulambition I want to ask my derm about retin-A as well she mentioned it before i remember, i learned that it is a vitamin A derivitive, thats great for acne scarring, what are your opinions on the ointment. A watched a few videos of a guy who said it was great for his rolling scars, im not as worried anymore because i am more aware of my situation, ill make sure my next appointment is like an interview lol

Sure ask your questions ;-P For more research and I cover a lot goto the top post of this acne scar sub called faq it has info about several procedures, etc. Retin A or tretinorin is great, it is used at night for cell turnover. Great as prep for a peel as well. It's another tool as part of several others. It does little for rolling scars, ... mainly for cell turnover and to refresh the skin, speeds up the process, can make light scars much better. 

@beautifulambition How do you feel about a dermapen, i saw a couple videos on it and read it on the forums, its interesting to me and isnt as expensive

I have been drinking alot more water and vegetables as well, i always drank water but ive increased my intake of it

I do not like the dermapen, it causes microtearing as it's made cheaply. I like the derminator ... you can put .com after that for the url much better It's more like the professional pens and it's pretty cheap. The head is much quicker also. There is a discussion on this machine under the sub here, goto the faq (top post) and click the derminator link for more. I am not sponsored by them, it's just cheap, and nothing better seems to be out there now.