Notifications
Clear all

ACCUTANE NO MONTHLY BLOOD WORK

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 10/12/2017 8:19 am

Hello
today is 100 days on ACCUTANE (EPURIS 40 MG DAILY)
i startd my 4th month tomorrow however i went to Dermatologist today and he said to remain on 40 mg until i am done my 6 month course and NO more blood work required, i was a little concerned because i know it's required monthly i am not sexually active so being prego is not something to worry about, side effects are minro, dry skin and dry lips, clear skin i have some scars but i can live with that, i havent had any new break outs since month 1, but i am a little worried about the blood worknot being required, i talk to a friend on accutane shes on 5 months younger than me but she goes for blood wor monthly and my derm also said i can do laser genesis a month after i am done my 6 month jourey, i ready online you should wait 6 months but he said 1 month is safe its weird i know hes a good Doctor but it's weird he tells me other wise and my friends derm says 6 months for laser and monthly blood work, i hope i am just being paranoid and should trust my derm i dont think he would be putting his patients in danger, he does this everyday with patientes on accutane
anyone else out there didn't require monthly blood tests?
im 33 years old i do worry about my body but thankfully the 2 blood tests i did everything was normal but i do still have 3 months to do and no blood work maybe i will call back to insist on getting blood work next month?

let me know if anyone going through this or has gone through it and what should i do

MemberMember
(@aussiemum)

Posted : 10/14/2017 11:47 pm

My friends daughter had a similar experience - once she had 3 "normal" blood test results after starting - she didn't have any more. This is slightly different to our derm who does them every 8 weeks.

Trust your doctor.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/15/2017 12:54 am

Same with our derm in UK. Blood tests only for first 2 months. Now on month 4. Derm said once they can see you are tolerating medication bloodwise and don't have liver problems / too much vit A in liver from meds then they stop. Pregnancy test via water sample continued tho.

I am not sure the laser advice is right tho. I wud ask again about that and wait 6 months. Read that accutane keeps working up to 6 months after you finish and u shud avoid laser, even hair removal until post 6 months cos skin is so delicate. Keep asking questions of ur derm.

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 10/19/2017 12:22 pm

Thank you all for your advice and responses... i contacted the derm and advised him i want blood work done monthly he provided me with the form to take to the lab when i go again next month until i am done in January
he's not my family doctor so i dont really trust him, my family doctor didn't really want to put me on accutane (even though i blame him for not giving me accutane when i was 26 when i first started to experience acne) i am now 33, he gave me antibiotics and creams nothing worked, he should have given me accutane at 26 so i decided to go to a derm in the city, he's ok but it's all about money for them and shoving pills on people but i had no other way out, accutane or suffer with acne i choose acne i dont know this derm very well have only seen him 3 times, i prefer to do blood work monthly.
i will do laser but will wait 6 months to be safe not sure why he says 1 month i have read it's okay after 1-2 months but most doctors recommend 6 months so i will do 6 months and hope my acne NEVER returns!

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@so_fitting)

Posted : 10/20/2017 4:05 am

It's not needed to have monthly blood work, unless there was a problem with the first, or second.

Since the first is always needed to see the suitability for Accutane, and the second (normally 1 or 2 months in to treatment) is to check to see how your system is coping with it. Unless there is anything that means you need to have regular blood work, like pre-existing problems or previous blood work was JUST acceptable, they generally run it every 2/3 months.