Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane advice needed

MemberMember
(@rebeccap21)

Posted : 10/11/2017 3:14 am

Hi everyone this is my first post on here so I™m a bit nervous. 
I have been on roaccutane for 2 weeks now and I™m really suffering with really bad dryness especially my lips. My skin also hurts is that normal? What did you use to try and help this? Also I am still breaking out is that normal too ? 
I™d love to hear some of your story™s about taking roaccutane and how your getting on with it ? :) 

draci liked
MemberMember
(@accutane1)

Posted : 10/11/2017 8:52 am

5 hours ago, Rebeccap21 said:

Hi everyone this is my first post on here so I™m a bit nervous. 
I have been on roaccutane for 2 weeks now and I™m really suffering with really bad dryness especially my lips. My skin also hurts is that normal? What did you use to try and help this? Also I am still breaking out is that normal too ? 
I™d love to hear some of your story™s about taking roaccutane and how your getting on with it ? :) 

Yes dryness is completely normal and at least you know it™s working! Breakouts are also common at the beginning of the course so don™t worry about that you just have to be patient despite your frustrations.

The only thing you can do to help with the dryness is use a very mild cleanser or just water, and moisturiser immediately after washing as that™s when your skin will best absorb the moisturiser; for your lips you just have to get used to constantly carrying a chapstick around with you! 

MemberMember
(@draci)

Posted : 10/11/2017 10:48 am

Hey there, myself and many others have suffered from very strong permanent side effects. Many of the long term side effects of accutane appear after you end the treatment. Think about it, to cure your acne permanently it has to change your body permanently. My skin and lips are still dry after 10 years and I felt sick every day for 5 years straight. This started a few months after finishing my accutane treatment. I have had many other side effects but I noticed that it doesn't help if I scare people.

I understand that acne is very frustrating and depressing and your dermatologist has tried every other ointment and antibiotic available without success.

It is not understood how Accutane works. It is used for brain cancer and as a side effect Roche noticed that it also clears up acne. Search the internet and this forum to find out about the possible irreversible side effects.

You are still early and you can still stop the treatment and try out natural and less aggressive treatments.

Take a look at these two alternatives:

1. Paleo diet: From the abstract: "Acne is absent in populations consuming Palaeolithic diets with low glycaemic load and no consumption of milk or dairy products." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22419445

2. Laser treatment: At 35:55 minutes: A doctor from the uk and his alternative acne treatment

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 10/11/2017 11:31 am

40 minutes ago, draci said:

Hey there, myself and many others have suffered from very strong permanent side effects. Many of the long term side effects of accutane appear after you end the treatment. Think about it, to cure your acne permanently it has to change your body permanently. My skin and lips are still dry after 10 years and I felt sick every day for 5 years straight. This started a few months after finishing my accutane treatment. I have had many other side effects but I noticed that it doesn't help if I scare people.

I understand that acne is very frustrating and depressing and your dermatologist has tried every other ointment and antibiotic available without success.

It is not understood how Accutane works. It is used for brain cancer and as a side effect Roche noticed that it also clears up acne. Search the internet and this forum to find out about the possible irreversible side effects.

You are still early and you can still stop the treatment and try out natural and less aggressive treatments.

1. Paleo diet: From the abstract: "Acne is absent in populations consuming Palaeolithic diets with low glycaemic load and no consumption of milk or dairy products." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22419445

2. Laser treatment: At 35:55 minutes: A doctor from the uk and his alternative acne treatment

Honestly what you are doing is wrong, its just making accutane users feel paranoid and causing further mental problems. I have tried all the treatments there are and acne really ruins your life it ruined 3 of my precious high school years and when you finally get the courage to get on it there are people like you that make us paranoid, the fact is that most people don't get permanent side effects and just move on with their lives acne free I'm sorry you were one of the unlucky ones

MemberMember
(@rebeccap21)

Posted : 10/11/2017 12:11 pm

1 hour ago, draci said:

Gosh this has scared me a bit!! Iv pushed a year to get roaccutane. Iv suffered most of my life with acne to the point my spots would hurt everyday and I would have to squeeze them to reduce the swelling which then has left me with horrendous scarring soo theres no way Im giving up!

draci liked
MemberMember
(@accutane1)

Posted : 10/11/2017 12:12 pm

39 minutes ago, DandyTsunami said:
1 hour ago, draci said:

Honestly what you are doing is wrong, its just making accutane users feel paranoid and causing further mental problems. I have tried all the treatments there are and acne really ruins your life it ruined 3 of my precious high school years and when you finally get the courage to get on it there are people like you that make us paranoid, the fact is that most people don't get permanent side effects and just move on with their lives acne free I'm sorry you were one of the unlucky ones

Its true, I understand your frustration of having permanent side effects but it is a very small majority of people who suffer from long term side effects. Leaving a message like that makes it sounds as if its more probable than not that you will get them.

If someone has been prescribed a treatment by a professional skin doctor then theyre are best to take advice from them.

The problem is, the vast majority of people who have achieved success on Accutane with no long time side effects no longer hang about on these forums, its just the people who havent been cured.

Juwalker and draci liked
MemberMember
(@draci)

Posted : 10/11/2017 1:41 pm

Im sorry im scaring you. I wish I knew about and had tried the two treatment alternatives I posted above 12 years ago. Thats why im letting you know. it is always better to try natural and less aggressive treatments first.

As for the number of people who get long term side effects from Accutane is anyones wild guess. It was only tested for a couple of months on a few hundred people. I only started posting about the long term side effects a few months ago, so 12 years after stopping the medication. Until now I was just busy coping with everyday life and the side effects. It is known that very few people report their side effects. Until recently I didn't even know there were official places where I could report them to. If the side effects appear only months after stopping the medication the patients themselves often don't make the connection.

It should also be a warning to you that the company who produced Roaccutane, Roche, is no longer selling the drug in the US. I think it is because they were fighting hundreds of lawsuits, they say it is because of generic medication.You can't sue the company selling the generic.

Accutane1 liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/15/2017 1:17 am

Month 4 is coming to an end now. Major dryness of lips and,some cracking in corners. Skin on face and back not dry yet though. Still breaking out. Used topicals before the meds , but only bp most recently and so skin itself wasn't dry at all at start of medication. Stopped all topicals two weeks before the meds. Was on antibiotics for 3 years b4 this and tried very many different topicals with no effect. No other side effects of note at mo. Use cetaphil cleanser with water in mornings and dove soap in shower at night. Blistex and vaseline on lips. No moisturiser needed yet. All the best. Stay positive and don't be scared. There are very many positive stories. I personally know a girl who took it 12 years ago and she said it was a miracle and changed her life. Her mom encouraged me to go ahead.