Notifications
Clear all

Is my acne bad enough for accutane?

MemberMember
(@brokenarrow15)

Posted : 10/01/2017 9:37 pm

Hello. My name is Rosie and I've been struggling with hormonal mild/moderate acne for 10 years. During my teen years I had hormonal breakouts around my forehead, I was only prescribed topical creams like epiduo and adapalene that got them under control.
In 2011 had a huge break out on my forehead (around 10 pustules yikes) and my dermatologist put me on doxycycline for two months and started taking birth control pills. That cleared my skin but it didnt last much.

After about two years I started to feel dizzy and had nausea after taking the pill. My GP told me to stop taking it for a while, I did so but I tried taking it again after 6 months but the nausea was really bad, I couldnt take it.

The oily hair and skin along with monthly breakouts came back after that. It wasnt that bad. One-three zits on forehead and started using epiduo. My skin was 90% clear most of the time. 
This year my acne changed its form and I started getting monthly closed comedones on the middle of my forehead. It wasnt that bad I told myself. They went away after a week or so BUT tiny little bumps/whiteheads appeared on my cheeks. I was shocked. I never had acne in another area of my face that wasnt the forehead. It only lasted while I was on my period, some months I had it some months I didnt.
This month was hell. I had two big zits on my cheek AND tons of tiny whiteheads. My forehead has them too. The dermatologist said I had seborrheic dermatitis and my skin and hair was getting too oily that's why I got so many closed comedones that's when she suggested accutane. She said it'll only be for 3 months in a low dose.

I'm really scared of the potential side effects. I've heard you get an initial breakout that makes me nervous, I have tmj/joint problems, I wear lenses so it makes me worried too. My dermatologist said I shouldnt worry but I'm still doubting. I'm not sure if accutane would work for me. 
This is my current skin condition. I'm not sure if I should keep going with the topicals and wait or take accutane. 

Screenshot_2017-10-01-23-28-38.png

2017-10-01 23.41.08.jpg

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 10/01/2017 10:55 pm

1 hour ago, brokenarrow15 said:

Hello. My name is Rosie and I've been struggling with hormonal mild/moderate acne for 10 years. During my teen years I had hormonal breakouts around my forehead, I was only prescribed topical creams like epiduo and adapalene that got them under control.
In 2011 had a huge break out on my forehead (around 10 pustules yikes) and my dermatologist put me on doxycycline for two months and started taking birth control pills. That cleared my skin but it didnt last much.

After about two years I started to feel dizzy and had nausea after taking the pill. My GP told me to stop taking it for a while, I did so but I tried taking it again after 6 months but the nausea was really bad, I couldnt take it.

The oily hair and skin along with monthly breakouts came back after that. It wasnt that bad. One-three zits on forehead and started using epiduo. My skin was 90% clear most of the time. 
This year my acne changed its form and I started getting monthly closed comedones on the middle of my forehead. It wasnt that bad I told myself. They went away after a week or so BUT tiny little bumps/whiteheads appeared on my cheeks. I was shocked. I never had acne in another area of my face that wasnt the forehead. It only lasted while I was on my period, some months I had it some months I didnt.
This month was hell. I had two big zits on my cheek AND tons of tiny whiteheads. My forehead has them too. The dermatologist said I had seborrheic dermatitis and my skin and hair was getting too oily that's why I got so many closed comedones that's when she suggested accutane. She said it'll only be for 3 months in a low dose.

I'm really scared of the potential side effects. I've heard you get an initial breakout that makes me nervous, I have tmj/joint problems, I wear lenses so it makes me worried too. My dermatologist said I shouldnt worry but I'm still doubting. I'm not sure if accutane would work for me. 
This is my current skin condition. I'm not sure if I should keep going with the topicals and wait or take accutane. 

2017-10-01 23.41.08.jpg

Girl, what acne? No, do not go on accutane for something this mild.

ellyfant liked
MemberMember
(@jhlo)

Posted : 10/02/2017 9:42 am

10 hours ago, oyinkan98 said:
12 hours ago, brokenarrow15 said:

2017-10-01 23.41.08.jpg

Girl, what acne? No, do not go on accutane for something this mild.

Totally agree.  Rosie, try zz cream and take probiotics (I took about 100 billion per day, you can get in one capsule).   You should see results in about a month or less, with your condition. 

MemberMember
(@brokenarrow15)

Posted : 10/02/2017 2:33 pm

Dermatologist prescribed me erythromycin 4%topical gel. The break out got better after 3 days of using that. Not sure if it's because the gel.

MemberMember
(@brokenarrow15)

Posted : 10/02/2017 11:58 pm

9 hours ago, brokenarrow15 said:

How do I know if my acne is caused by bacterial imbalance/gut problems? I suffer from acid refluxand gastritis so I believe it could be related to stomach problems.
Because PMS I was on brewers yeast pills for some time before and it did nothing for my acne or I didnt take it long enough to see results.

How do I know if my acne is caused by bacterial imbalance/gut problems? I suffer from acid refluxand gastritis so I believe it could be related to stomach problems.
Because PMS I was on brewers yeast pills for some time before and it did nothing for my acne or I didnt take it long enough to see results.

MemberMember
(@rf9661)

Posted : 10/06/2017 10:31 pm

Hi!

I would definitely not prescribe someone isotretinoin (Accutane) unless they have cystic acne. You have a mild form of comedonic acne. Have you tried regular tretionoin (Retin-A)? It comes in many different strengths/concentrations.

Also, keep in mind that if you do start on isotretinoin, please do consider the extensive side effects.

Richard

MemberMember
(@justme7)

Posted : 10/07/2017 2:43 am

Accutane is typically for acne that has the potential to leave scars, yours does not seem bad/deep enough to do so. Just try other things like topicals, eliminating possible triggers and/or get them extracted manually by an esthetician. As far as knowing what caused it, I can't help you there unfortunately. There are many triggers, and what triggers yours somebody else could do and it not trigger acne in them. Everybody is different. I know people with terrible diets that never even seem to get blackheads

MemberMember
(@brokenarrow15)

Posted : 10/08/2017 2:03 pm

On 7/10/2017 at 0:31 AM, rf9661 said:

Hi!

I would definitely not prescribe someone isotretinoin (Accutane) unless they have cystic acne. You have a mild form of comedonic acne. Have you tried regular tretionoin (Retin-A)? It comes in many different strengths/concentrations.

Also, keep in mind that if you do start on isotretinoin, please do consider the extensive side effects.

Yeah, but they turn into whiteheads (the type with the white stuff on top), and it seems new ones keep popping up as soon as the old ones go away. I know that's how it works but I rather have closed comedones than pustules :( It seems I have really stubborn acne. 

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/10/2017 4:03 pm

You want to get anti biotics from your dr,they realy are good for your  skin as they kill bacteria.i would avoid penecillin based ones as they can only be taken in a short space and can have bad effect on other bacteria.

you can then fight the acne causing bacteria from within,in conjunction with a good topical cream tou can clear your skin up good.

just one thing to note is to nit squeeze and pick.getting whotehead is part of your immune system getting rid of the bacteria and block in your skin.always let the whitehead firm and the whiter it is the better as it shows its more in yourupper layers of skin,never squeeze while its deeper and less white as it will cause a rupture,more swelling and leads to scabbing and ultimately a scar.let it get white and just wash away then it ruptures the top layer of dead skin and shouldnt scab therefore less chance of scar.

lymecycline or them types of anti biotics taken for a month or two will/should help kill the acne causing bacteria and you skin should be lovely.

get to the dr for anti biotics.
:)