Notifications
Clear all

What next? My journey...

MemberMember
(@sb87)

Posted : 09/25/2017 10:37 am

Hi guys,

Im new here. Ive had mild-moderate acne since I was 13 years old. Im wondering if Accutane should be my next step.

Here is my journey from age 13, Im now 30.

May 2000 Zineryt
April 2001 Minocycline
June 2001 Dalacin T
November 2001 Tretinoin 0.01%
Feb 2002 Zineryt
July 2002 Microgynon (went on the pill for acne)
March 2004 Marvelon (swapped pill for acne) also using over the counter Benzoyl Peroxide
May 2004 Dalacin T
September 2004 Benzamycin
November 2004 Dianette (swapped pill for acne took Dianette for 4 years, 2 months)
November 2004 Tretinoin 0.25%
February 2005 Differin Adapalene 0.1%
June 2005 Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%
August 2005 Zineryt
January 2009 Marvelon (taken off Dianette due to length of time taken)
June 2014 Zineryt
August 2014 Erythromycin and Skinoren
December 2014 Doxycycline (stopped 1 month later as trying for a baby)
February 2015 Skinoren

Ive also tried Acnecide 5%, expensive face peels, natural products, tea tree products, Freederm, Clearsil type products and light therapy.

My skin was fairly settled whilst taking the pill. I came off the pill in April 2014 for numerous reasons and my skin absolutely exploded. It came back worse than ever on my face, back and chest. It took until early 2016 to get it to a state when I could cope with it. I was pregnant throughout most of 2016 and this did wonders for my skin. Fast forward to now, my baby is 1 and my skin isnt in a great position again. I have lots of whiteheads on my cheeks and chin and loads of small bumps on my forehead.

I feel like Ive tried everything and have ALWAYS been against Roaccutane because of the side effects. Until a couple of days ago I felt like acne was just my life, but then I thought why should I put up with this? Ive never been referred to a Dermatologist but I have a GP appointment on Friday and Im hoping I can be referred. Under no circumstances do I wish to be put back on the pill to control my skin as I cant go through what I went through back in 2014 when I came off it I want something permanent now.

Has anybody gone through a similar journey and considered Accutane?

Thanks for reading if you got to the end! Sarah x

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 09/26/2017 3:40 pm

From a male perspective..Zinyert and lymecycline cleared my acne last time and I'm back on the lymecycline antibiotics after breaking out again.

I've heard so much from bad side effects of Accutane.  I would look at it as a last resort.

defo don't want my skin going back to this and will consider other options before looking for Accutane.

good luck!
received_1384122484971112.jpeg