Notifications
Clear all

Advice or recommendations for my acne??

MemberMember
(@bridieg)

Posted : 09/09/2017 8:22 pm

I'm in need of any type of advice or any tips you can give me on how I can treat my acne.
My acne obviously flared up when I hit puberty (about six years ago) and it's been a long battle ever since. I usually get it on my jawline, chin, forehead, and sides of my cheeks although it only happens on my cheeks occasionally and it's usually just a few pimples at a time. I know that acne on the chin and jawline is hormonal and that acne on the forehead typically points to digestive issues. I also get acne pretty bad on my back. About a year ago I went to the dermatologist for the first time and they prescribed me minocycline. It worked for most of the winter time, but gradually it stopped and my acne was coming back. I haven't gone back, mainly because I'm trying to find natural and organic ways to fix my problem. I made the decision to go dairy and wheat free a few months ago; however, it proves to be pretty difficult for me and I occasionally slip up.
Ever since I started taking minocycline, my skin has been pretty dry now which is very unusual considering I always dealt with incredibly oily skin before I took it. For a while, I was drinking coconut milk like crazy and using the Everyday Coconut facial cleanser along with the moisturizer. My skin was getting so dry that it was red and painful and I was getting a bunch of tiny bumps on my forehead that resembled folliculitis. I stopped using the cleanser and consuming anything coconut for a few weeks now and my skin is definitely not as dry as it was, but it is still pretty dry nonetheless. The bumps on my forehead are still there, I'm getting acne on my temples which is a very unusual spot for me, little bumps and whiteheads along my jaw and chin, now down my neck, and I'm also just starting to get acne on my lower back which, again, is a place I've never gotten it before until now. I really have no idea what's going on or how to fix this. I can't really afford to see a bunch of doctors about it or get tests done. I'm not willing to go on birth control either.
I have been taking zinc and l-lysine supplements and I just ordered the Daily Cleanse pills by Hum Nutrition to see if they can help out at all. If anyone else has anything they can share or new supplements or really just anything that would be great. I'm starting to get a little desperate here.

MemberMember
(@lanaodel)

Posted : 09/11/2017 7:23 pm

Sometimes we don't allow our skin to get worse before it gets better, I know everyone says that, but changing around topical products and specific diets may not give skin a chance to settle.
Hormonal acne can be difficult to treat as the flare ups are of course brought on by hormonal fluctuations or changes so can be unpredictable (or sometimes very predictable if you're used to it). The pill doesn't necessarily always work for everyone either and can sometimes have a negative effect on certain people and often you have to find one that suits you (I am on Logynon as it suits me with my menstrual issues but causes hormonal acne flare ups; I tried Yasmin which is supposedly good for acne and gave me the worst mental and physical side effects whilst not helping my skin..).
I tried skin accumax tablets/supplements (natural) vitamin a, my dermatologist suggested vit a treatment, topical and tabs, was one of the best things for acne. I found a noticeable difference on these.
Apple cider vinegar was another one I found good, I also didn't find it dried out my skin or damaged it.
Avocado, spinach, berries, greek Yoghurt (supposedly ok for acne) and milk substitutes (coconut, almond) in a smoothie for complexion was recommended and I noticed a brighter skin tone, these are acne-friendly foods.
Lemon & hot water. I know everyone says this, but I do personally notice a difference!
I might sound annoying here but stress as well can be detrimental to some people and their acne..I suffered with a severe anxiety disorder in my last year of school, and my skin was worse than ever, hyperpigmentation and large hormonal acne. I calmed down a lot in college and so did my skin, in fact I had a (short but pleasant) period where my skin was basically clear other than marks. You could try some holistic routes, even salt lamps, aromatherapy diffusion, meditation etc. etc. I know how desperate you can get (have had it myself 10ish years!) but staying calm and not stressing too much about acne can help
These are just a few things that helped me along the way... I also cleanse/wash my face twice a day with the same products, no changes, which has helped balance my skin.
There are unfortunately no overnight cures as we all know, especially when it is hormonally linked.

bridieg liked
MemberMember
(@westcoast82)

Posted : 09/12/2017 7:35 pm

It sounds like you're having sensitivities to something in your diet. There are no shortcuts when it comes to eating clean unfortunately. The best thing you can do is listen to your body. Eat slowly, and notice any changes after eating such as bloating, tight throat, flushing, itchiness, etc. An elimination diet can also be useful when uncovering hidden food intolerances. If you believe your issue stems from a hormonal imbalance there are a few things you can do. Start drinking peppermint tea twice a day. Incorporate chia seeds and flax seeds into your diet (they're great in smoothies, oatmeal, etc). Also supplement with primrose oil capsules. Lowering your intake of alcohol, coffee, and processed meats can also be very helpful. Lastly, incorporating more vegetables into your diet is key, this is great for anyone. I hope things get better!

bridieg liked