Notifications
Clear all

Thick layer of dead skin stuck to my face?

MemberMember
(@losthope)

Posted : 08/22/2017 10:01 pm

Hello,
I have a thick layer of dead skin that I can't seem to get rid of, it has been accumulating,especially on my forehead, in-between my eyebrows and on my nose. When I get out of the shower it softens up and it is much more noticeable, like a white cast on my face. When it dries it isn't as noticeable but it has a rough texture.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have looked it up and found others with the same problembut italways leads to a dead end. I've tried moisturizing with CeraVe and while doing so I sometimes rub some of the skin off and it leaves a dent, I don't know if it's an actual dent in my skin now or if it is just because of the removal of the dead skin but it bothered me thinking that I could be making things worse.

MemberMember
(@losthope)

Posted : 08/23/2017 9:45 pm

Anyone? Any advice? I drink lots of water and take fish oil supplements but this layer of dead skin/keratin is practically glued to my face.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 08/24/2017 1:00 pm

I am facing the same problem and I have noticed that the best thing to do is to let it be. I don't use any products on my face anyway.

MemberMember
(@losthope)

Posted : 08/24/2017 3:46 pm

Hey Rudy, thanks for the reply. Is it on your nose as well? The worst areas for me are on my nose, in between my eyebrows and and on both sides of my nose where the dead skin has been accumulating. Is yours flakey at all? Mine isn't, it is just kind of.. Stuck there. When I take a shower it softens up and turns white. I've been applying moisturizer and it seems to be softening but it's a really thick layer.
How long have you noticed it on your face?
My only concern with leaving it there is that it might damage the skin/pores.

MemberMember
(@losthope)

Posted : 08/26/2017 4:22 pm

Bump. Anyone who has had this problem?

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 08/29/2017 5:47 am

Yes, it is flakey and I have it all over my nose (and yes, it is worse on the sides where the nose begins) and on the chin as well. I can rub it off easily but it comes back in a couple of days so I don't do that at all. I have a feeling that my skin produces even more oil if I remove the layer which leads to more whiteheads (as if the dead skin layer works as an anti whitehead agent; it doesn't make much sense, I know).

I am an athlete and every time I get sweaty people ask me what kind of cream do I put on my face even though I don't use any product.

It have been living with this more than 5 years and I haven't noticed any permanent damage so far.

LostHope liked
MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 08/30/2017 1:12 pm

Here is how it looks like after showering with hot water.

20170829_230128.jpg

LostHope liked
MemberMember
(@ot1)

Posted : 08/30/2017 1:17 pm

hmm never seen that-
is it painful?

Perhaps moisturizing with jojoba oil and hemp seed oil to soften those dead skin cells without forcefully removing?

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 08/30/2017 4:37 pm

It isn't painful at all. It is just a white paste made of dead skin cells.

The skin gets slightly irritated when I remove it as shown in the picture above.

Explanation for the picture above: I was showering and I thought I removed the dead skin layer (I didn't have a mirror in the showed) so when I got out I realized there is some dead skin left and I decided to take a photo to show you guys what am I talking about in my previous posts.

MemberMember
(@yth)

Posted : 08/31/2017 6:49 am

Hey Rudy,

It's LostHope: I wasn't able to log into this profile for a while and just regained access to it. 

For some reason it wasn't letting me reply yesterday. That is exactly what is going on with me!
You need to stop picking at it so it doesn't irritate your skin, you will end up with broken capillaries that way.
I'm happy to report that I've found a solution that works, most of the dead skin between my eyebrows has sloughed off, I'm not out of the woods yet though as it's still heavily caked both on the sides of and on top of my nose but at least I'm seeing improvements. There's also a thin layer on my forehead and on my cheeks. 

Here's what I've been doing:
Mix moisturizer (I use CeraVe) and Aquaphor together, about half/half, put them together in a glass bowl or Pyrex dish. Aquaphor has a thick consistency so what I did was I heated it up with a blow dryer and mixed the 2 together really well. Apply this to the dry skin and let it sit, you can do this overnight or during the day if you're able - I wouldn't do it if you plan on going out because it will look a little funny. The next day take a shower like you normally would. Repeat the process until the skin falls off. 

It took about 3 days for the majority of the skin to wash off but I was seeing results after the first day. In my case (and maybe yours) I think it's seborrheic dermatitis and I think I know what's causing it: The water! I think the hard water and the added chemicals are overly drying our skin. The West Coast and Midwest are especially bad. Legitimate water softeners are pretty expensive but I did order a shower filter that will help filter out some of the hard metals and chlorine that our water is treated with.
Here is the one I ordered:
https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/berkey-shower-head-filter.html
(Amazon and eBay have them as well) 
It hasn't arrived yet but when it does I will let you know if there is any improvement.
You can also do a final rinse with bottled water after showering, just rinse some over your head/face to rinse off. 

I know this a long post but I hope you try the moisturizer/aquaphor mix, I'm confident it will help you. Remember to mix the two together and use a blow dryer to heat it up, it is much easier to apply this way. 

Credit to "Ashleymorrow" from these forums for the Aquaphor suggestion by the way, she had the same problem and Aquaphor is what helped her as well.

https://www.dermaharmony.com/dermatitis/hardwaterdermatitis.aspx

Funny and sad at the same time: I'm leaving the dead skin on my nose alone because it hides my nose scars. Lol. :(

MemberMember
(@sonya-summer)

Posted : 08/13/2020 8:29 pm

On 8/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, Rudy23 said:

It isn't painful at all. It is just a white paste made of dead skin cells.

The skin gets slightly irritated when I remove it as shown in the picture above.

Explanation for the picture above: I was showering and I thought I removed the dead skin layer (I didn't have a mirror in the showed) so when I got out I realized there is some dead skin left and I decided to take a photo to show you guys what am I talking about in my previous posts.

Its typical seborrheic dermatitis! I have it as well. Forehead, eyebrows, under eyebrows, nose, chin and cheeks. My derm prescribed RX hydrocortisone 2.5% and in one day it started to break up!