Notifications
Clear all

acne dysmorphia

MemberMember
(@dbutler2)

Posted : 08/11/2017 7:46 pm

Hello! I'm posting this because I'm wondering if other people (I know they do) suffer from acne dysmorphia and if others have found ways to get over this. Feel free to respond, even if you haven't gotten over it! I just feel so alone because most people I know have beautiful skin, and anyone I know who doesn't, doesn't act like it bothers them. I have light to moderate acne on my face and hyperpigmitation on my face, chest, arms, and backs (I used to have body acne too). My face also tends to be red. For the last week or so, I think I've been dealing with acne dysmorphia. I've always been insecure about my blemishes, but for the last week to week and a half, I've seriously been (almost) depressed because of it. When I look in the mirror, I cry. I'm so unhappy with what I look like without makeup. I think other people with acne are beautiful, even if they have severe acne. But when it comes to myself, I feel hideous. I've been having severe anxiety over it, checking mirrors constantly, crying about my acne, and feeling unworthy of love. I constantly have my skin on my mind, wondering about how every action I take is going to affect my skin. I'm terrified of doing something/using any kind of product, etc. That is going to keep me from having clear skin. It's gotten so bad, that I've found myself unintentionally pushing my family and long-term boyfriend away. I just feel so unworthy of love. I know a person's worth is not based off how they look. I know my thoughts are irrational. But that's just how I feel, and it's seriously affecting my quality of life. P. S. I do suffer from depression on and off and anxiety and OCD.

MemberMember
(@crayonsnglu)

Posted : 11/05/2017 2:35 pm

I can absolutely relate to you! I have recently been diagnosed with PMDD, anxiety and OCD. I am VERY OCD about my skin to the point where when I am home alone I will stare at my face it a small compact mirror and examine my skin in the different lighting around my house. Or, if I feel a new bump I just HAVE to go look in a mirror to see what it looks like immediately. I wake up and the first thought is....what will my skin do today? The worst part is....I don't even have severe acne. I get breakouts right before and right after my period and sometimes random times in between but my face isn't covered in acne. The reason it depresses me is because I tend to get deeper ones that take FOREVER to go away. Sometimes it will take a whole month for one of those deep ones to go away. I guess they are cystic but i have never had to go to a derm for any of them being bad enough to extract or inject. I have a husband who endures me complaining about my skin and he always says he doesn't even see the pimple until I point it out to him. My family and friends say the same thing....they don't notice unless I specifically point it out and they have never urged me to see a doctor about my skin or anything. When I was on Sprintec I barely broke out but I want to have a baby so I can't be on bc obviously. I can't wait to go back on it after having a baby. I just hate acne so much I wish it didn't bother me because I know its not severe but I am so OCD about it that it drives me crazy as if it were severe.

MemberMember
(@mylifeisacne)

Posted : 11/23/2017 6:35 pm

Fuck you guys. At least you can use makeup.

MemberMember
(@shellyr89)

Posted : 12/04/2017 10:25 am

I can totally relate 100%. I dont leave the house and I can barely properly function when I break out. Its like Im walking around showing off my biggest insecurity right on my face. The problem is, everybody tells me its not even noticeable and I barely have any acne. But when I look in the mirror all I can see is acne, not even my face. My eyes just go focused in on my acne. Ive stopped going to school, hanging out with friends, and even leaving the house. Fuck anxiety and acne. Ur definitely not alone