Notifications
Clear all

My Elimination Diet Trial | Log

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/04/2017 7:48 pm

Skin type: oily, sensitive, acne prone

History:
Moderate,consistent acne and blotchy skin since 2008.
2013 - Accutane
2016 - Accutane
Been prescribed with topicals and oral anti-biotics in between. - NO EFFECT
Acne always comes back after a year.
Dermatologists I've seen don't believe that there is a connection between food and acne.

Supplements:
Zinc - 25mg 1-2x a day (helps with inflammation and speeds up healing)
*Vit B5 500mg when consuming meat
Probiotics - acidophilus 3x a day
Vit C - 1000mg
Glutathione 500mg - for my liver
1 Garlic Clove (minced)
ACV - 2tbsp a day with 1 glass of water
Turmeric/GingerTea

Note: DO NOT take zinc on an empty stomach. It can cause nausea. I take zinc gluconate.

Food I've eliminated throughout January 2016:
Refined Sugar(causes acne, clogged pores &eczema)
Bread & Pasta(causes oilier skin &eczema)
Wheat(causes acne & eczema)
Grains (causes eczema)
Dairy

What I have not eliminated are fruits! I eat lots of them everyday. Now I'm starting to think that even fructose is harmful for me. Probably fructose malabsorption. I'll try to cut back on fruits and see how it affects my skin.

I will be posting updates at the end of every week. I started Low Carb Low Sugar diet this monday, August 7, 2017. I will be posting again this sunday.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/13/2017 1:51 am

1 WEEK UPDATE
Low Sugar/Low Carb Diet

ACNE:
Back & chest acne/rashes significantly decreased about 80%
Congested Pores- no new congested pores, old ones are still there, others came to the surface, 5 of them turned into acne but most of them healed. 3 are still active.
Oily Skin- too early to tell.

Supplements:
Probiotics particulary Acidophilus Strains
Vit C 1,000mg
L-Glutathione 500mg & 850mg
Zinc 50-75mg

ACV 2Tbsp with water
1 Garlic Clove
Vit B5 500mg
every other day

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/20/2017 5:07 pm

I ate a lot of fruits this week, and I have more cystic acne.It is definitely a sugar problem. I'm really gonna go cut fruits for a while...not even 1 serving just to see if it improves my skin.

Will update you guys after a week.

MemberMember
(@foodismedicine)

Posted : 08/21/2017 9:04 am

What fruits do you notice make you break out? I wonder if it's why I am still getting acne too.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/21/2017 8:08 pm

On August 21, 2017 at 10:04 PM, foodismedicine said:

What fruits do you notice make you break out? I wonder if it's why I am still getting acne too.

Nothing in particular (that i know of)
but if I do eat to much, it causes problems probably because of the sugar.

As of now, I only eat 1 serving of fruit a day just to help with my bowel movement. I really want to eliminate all fruits for atleast 3weeks just to see if my skin improves but I get constipated without it.

My diet as of now consists of
80% vegetables
20% lean meat

MemberMember
(@carter-h146)

Posted : 08/23/2017 5:18 pm

On 22/08/2017 at 2:08 AM, S33kingS0lution said:

As of now, I only eat 1 serving of fruit a day just to help with my bowel movement. I really want to eliminate all fruits for atleast 3weeks just to see if my skin improves but I get constipated without it.

I think possibly replacing fruit with more veggies might be ideal.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/23/2017 11:46 pm

6 hours ago, carter.h146 said:
On August 22, 2017 at 9:08 AM, S33kingS0lution said:

I think possibly replacing fruit with more veggies might be ideal.

I am eating vegetables every meal with lean meat. That's pretty much my diet as of now.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 08/28/2017 11:19 pm

UPDATE:
Chest - 98% clear
Back - 90% clear

Face - from having6 acne to 1 BUT I still have a lot of clogged pores from before I changed my diet which might turn into acne in a few days. I'm hoping it won't.

DIET
Vegetables - 70%
healthy Fats - 10%
Protein from meat - 20%
Sometimes I will have 1 fruit in the morning.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/06/2017 7:50 am

No active acne at the moment.
*fingers crossed*
Back & Chest are both clear.

I ate pastry & bread 3days ago, they both contained dairy & sugar.
I'm taking Cetirizine 10mg for 5days just cause I'm too paranoid of what I ate. Today is my 4th day.

Supplements:
Vit C 1,000mg
Vit B5 500mg
Zinc 25mg
2 Garlic Cloves
Turmeric Tea
Bitter Melon Tea
Pito-Pito Tea
Glutathione 850mg

Diet
70% Vegetables
10% Healthy Fats
20% Lean Meat

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 09/07/2017 10:20 am

I find Zinc Orotate better for absorption and effectiveness then gluconate. The brand I buy only comes in ~9 mg tabs though i take 3-4 daily sometimes twice daily. I find it less harsh on the stomach than a larger tab especially if you haven't ate. Best a few hours after eating though if you avoid calcium/iron rich foods you can take it with food.

I take cetirizine when i see or feel like breakouts are coming post clean shave (like 1-3 days later) i find it helps with the inflammation response not greatly but a bit.

Fructose from fruit always gets me so i avoid most fruit but eat my weight in veggies.

Interesting log i will follow

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/07/2017 12:29 pm

2 hours ago, k3tchup said:

I find Zinc Orotate better for absorption and effectiveness then gluconate. The brand I buy only comes in ~9 mg tabs though i take 3-4 daily sometimes twice daily. I find it less harsh on the stomach than a larger tab especially if you haven't ate. Best a few hours after eating though if you avoid calcium/iron rich foods you can take it with food.

Thanks for the tips regarding zinc. Too bad we only have gluconate and chelated zinc here in my country. I will try to cut my tablet in 4 just cos I feel like vomiting even with only 25mg and even after a meal.

I take cetirizine when i see or feel like breakouts are coming post clean shave (like 1-3 days later) i find it helps with the inflammation response not greatly but a bit.

I feel like cetirizine does help when I eat food that can cause flareups but I noticed my skin becomes so dry and flakey whilst taking it. But honestly, I'd rather have very dry skin than have tons of acne.

Fructose from fruit always gets me so i avoid most fruit but eat my weight in veggies.

Yes, I try to avoid them as much as I can. If I feellike I'm running low on sugar/carbs, I do eat 1 serving of fruit in a day but not everyday.

Interesting log i will follow

Thanks, I'll definitely update you guys onmy diet and skin condition.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/10/2017 12:44 pm

UPDATE:
I ate bad this week (bread, chips & cheese...mostly bread) and now I'm suffering the consequence.

I have 2 active acne right now and my face became so flakey & itchy. With bunch of tiny bumps. Pores are also a bit congested. My back broke out a little.

I've been eating clean again for 2days and will continue to do so. Will post another upate by the end of the week.

MemberMember
(@anaverdugonc)

Posted : 09/10/2017 11:33 pm

I am exactly at the same point as you, trying on an elimination diet, not super strong in terms of grains and fruits, but I did remove completely dairy, processed foods, artificial ingredients and for meat and chicken only 1once a month as I am trying to go vegan, but I take care on how much protein I take so I don't have a lack of it, however, I am at the point of getting active pimples more than before, but I guess is comedones from before getting cleared up, do you get that feeling as well? I mean, that some of the new active ones are just hidden white/blackheads getting outside to be healed? Thanks and good luck!

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/11/2017 12:09 am

@anaverdugoNCYes I am experiencing that as well. Some old comedones turned into active acne, even those from before I started to change my diet. I try to go on a facial (blackhead/whitehead extractions) if I feel like they're about to pop out just to avoid them getting inflamed at some point.

Goodluck to you as well! We can do this.

MemberMember
(@id_rather_be_gaming)

Posted : 09/14/2017 4:47 am

I've been trying the same approach as you by eliminating things from my diet.

I noticed the main thing for me was bread and pastas. I never bought into the gluten intolerance movement until I noticed it's wheat and grains that caused most my acne. Dairy and concentrated sugars like corn syrup also cause breakouts for me. For some reason I don't have a problem with fruits. So I eat lots of them, especially mangos.

I also eliminated highly processed foods even if it's gluten and dairy free. I think each step of food processing reduces its viability for human consumption.

I've been playing around with the vegan thing and I'm not convinced that meat causes breakouts for me. Still, I only eat meat about once a week.

I've found that eating a mostly raw vegan diet has cleared about 95% of my acne. I am 28 now and have struggled with it since I was a teenager.

I have the same problem as you when I relapse and go back to junk food my skin starts to breakout really bad again. I've realized I can't be 99% committed to my diet and get rid of my acne. It's an all in for me. It's so difficult in life not to eat like everyone else around you. I've had some pretty awkward moments when I'm asked to try something and I turn people down and tell them I don't eat bread, but I'm more tired of struggling with this issue my whole adult life.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/14/2017 12:06 pm

@Id_Rather_Be_GamingI am in my late 20s now and also struggled with acne since I was at my teens.

It is depressing being surrounded by people who can eat whatever they want and not worry whether the food they eat will break them out or not. I've also refused so many food from friends and relatives cos of my restrictions.

Dealing with this issue is indeed tiring. I can't imagine myself getting old and still not being able to enjoy the foods I used to eat.

I still get tempted almost everyday since I live with people who eats anything they want and that makes it really hard for me but I always try to remind myself that the outcome isn't worth it.

I really wish everybody has clear skin or a 1 cure for all.

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/18/2017 7:32 am

UPDATE:
Face - no active acne but I still have blemishes
Chest - 100% clear
Back - still a bit bumpy

I ate oatmeal today and read the ingredients that it contained gluten. I'm not yet a 100% sure if I am sensitive to gluten, but seeing that I don't go well with bread and pasta made me assume that I am sensitive to gluten.

If I breakout or have any flareups within 3-5days then I'll know for sure that gluten triggered it.

I feel like GARLIC helps A LOT with my acne and flareups. Been taking 2-4 cloves a day since August.

Supplements:
Vit C 1,000mg
Vit B5 500mg
Zinc 50mg
Herbal Teas
Probiotics
4 Garlic Cloves (crushed & minced)

MemberMember
(@s33kings0lution)

Posted : 09/23/2017 8:57 am

Okay, so its been 50days since I posted this log.

Ive now concluded the ff:

Fruits high in GI such as mangoes, pineapple, santol, rambutan, tamarind, mostly tropical fruits makes me breakout around my mouth and makes my skin much oilier than it already is.

I get really bad flare ups from anything that involves wheat. Makes my skin very rough, flakey, bumpy & itchy within 24-72hours of consuming wheat products.

Another food product Id like to experiment on is soy.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 09/27/2017 1:33 am

I eat a ton of fruit without breaking out.