Notifications
Clear all

Exercise Induced Acne

MemberMember
(@mackesy)

Posted : 08/02/2017 12:51 am

Currently prescribed 60mg of Accutane a day & birth control for hormonal cystic acne.

Cardio while on Accutane is causing me to breakout?
I've been including more exercise in my lifestyle lately but have been noticing that I have strange breakouts on my face and one instance on my neck and scalp. I never breakout in either of those places besides my face, so I'm not sure what's going on? I have never broken out within 24 hours of working out, summer or winter sport, even with chronic hormonal acne (1+ cystic spots on cheeks/jawline) and no prescription. It has onlyoccurred this month after a semi-long break in fear of joint pain during winter sport - during that time I only experienced a rash on my hands from harsh temperature. At first I thought I was suddenly experiencing cysts again but the breakout seemingly looks like milder surface acne. (But quite pigmented.) After just the third day I managed to have six spots on my cheeks!I use my own treadmill and complete other at home exercises.

POST WORKOUT: I shower within 10 minutes with cool water and use an exfoliator.

1) Is this "healthy lifestyle" breakout experienced by anyone else?
2) Has anyone figured out the cause of cardio induced breakouts?
3) If you have had a similar experience - did it stop?

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 08/10/2017 1:59 am

i haven't experienced this but it caught my attention as I didn't know that cardio or simply doing exercise might cause acne. I was thinking if it was the combination of Accutane and birth control that's causing it?

What did your dermatologist say about it?

MemberMember
(@suavedory)

Posted : 08/10/2017 2:32 am

I was experiencing the same thing (cardio is still a form of stress on the body) but I wouldn't quit. Your main concern would be the products in your hair that may be highly oily, scented, comedogenic and etc or like in my case it was my exfoliant that was creating micro tears in the skin and spreading the bacteria. As gentle as I was, I have learned that acne sufferers are highly sensitive to physical exfoliants. It was hard for me to stop with the exfoliating since it was addictive. But as soon as I stopped it decreased significantly. I instead shower with a salicylic cleanser let it sit on my face for a while and rinse with cool water. Hope this helps!