Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone - Need Encouragement

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 08/01/2017 4:33 pm

Hey everyone! I've struggled with cystic acne for many years now, and I've finally found something that has truly helped. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helping around the time of my period?

I've been on spiro since June 5th and I'm so happy that it has started working so quickly for me. I only had two cysts within the first week of being on it, and only one in July on my shoulder. I was nearly clear all month until a week ago (which is a miracle when you're used to always having at least 3+ cysts at a time) when I got my period. My skin definitely isn't as bad as it used to be but I just found a bad cyst forming on my chin. I've had a few little breakouts too, but this is especially upsetting because it reminds me of when my face used to be covered in huge painful cysts.

My question is, if spiro is supposed to be for hormonal cysts, why isn't it working around my period?? Sorry if it's kind of a ridiculous question. Maybe it really is something I just need to wait out and learn to deal with, or will it most likely get better over time the longer I take spiro? I know some people take spiro with a birth control for even better results, but I have some personal reasons why I can't take birth control.

And I know a lot of people say spiro usually takes a long time to work. Like six months or something until you start seeing any sort of results, if you even will at all. I feel so grateful that it undeniably worked within the first two weeks of taking it, but now I'm kind of freaking out. I feel kind of ridiculous for being so emotional over it but I'm so so scared of my skin going back to where it was earlier this summer. I can't do that again. Any sort of encouragement would be great. I'm so thankful for spiro though. It's greatly improved my self esteem and my general happiness since I started clearing up. If you go read my review of spiro, I don't regret anything I said because it's all true. It really has changed my life.

I go into my dermatologist on the 8th for a check in on how it's working and of course my skin has to break out right before I go in. I'm worried my dermatologist will think it's just not working or something.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 08/02/2017 7:43 am

lol I hardly ever get any replies on this site but idk where else to go for this kind of stuff. Anyways I think I might have been freaking out over nothing because I just woke up this morning and the cyst is already half the size it was yesterday. It's definitely going away. Thank god for spironolactone.

MemberMember
(@uptowndollar)

Posted : 08/02/2017 1:03 pm

Hey!

I was one if the typical spiro users and it took me about 6 months to notice a huge change. I still notice I get spots here and there but they are not cysts and they go away within a week (if i don't pick).

I notice I break out when I am in the sun but do not use sunscreen, when I drink more then a glass of alcohol in one setting, and when I am incredibly stressed and emotional (linked to my period I believe because I have mirena and I do not get one)

I hope that your acne continues to get better!

-Meg

MemberMember
(@sara1990)

Posted : 08/04/2017 8:28 am

10 days after using spironolactone i breack out like a crazy :(
i am so sad... 

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 08/13/2017 12:18 am

On 8/2/2017 at 1:03 PM, UptownDollar said:

Hey!

I was one if the typical spiro users and it took me about 6 months to notice a huge change. I still notice I get spots here and there but they are not cysts and they go away within a week (if i don't pick).

I notice I break out when I am in the sun but do not use sunscreen, when I drink more then a glass of alcohol in one setting, and when I am incredibly stressed and emotional (linked to my period I believe because I have mirena and I do not get one)

I hope that your acne continues to get better!

-Meg

Hey, thank you so much for the reply! I'm so sorry I didn't see it sooner. I'm currently still breaking out, but I'm trying my best to just pull through it. I've read a lot of reviews of people saying the wait was completely worth it, and this is the only thing I've ever gotten real results from so I'm going to stick with it for at least another three or four months.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/19/2017 9:23 am

It took 1.5 yrs to see consistent progress for me. Think long term for seeing consistent improvements.