Notifications
Clear all

Is Lo Loestrin Fe as bad for acne as all of the reviews make it seem?

MemberMember
(@swaggawagon)

Posted : 07/29/2017 5:44 pm

I have tried so many birth control pills! I have side effects on all of them but my worst side effect that I just can't handle is cystic acne. I am 24 years old and have hormonal acne (mostly around my chin, cheeks, mouth). My last pill before going off was yaz (vestura). I had HORRIBLE cystic acne for the first 4 months then it miraculously cleared my face. I know they say stick with it for 4 months. Now my doctor gave me Lo Loestrin fe (Not Loestrin) because it has a low dose of estrogen. I read reviews and I'm terrified to start it because of all the horrible acne reviews. I mean almost every review said that it gave them acne. Im wondering if that was their body getting used to the pill just like mine did on yah and then it cleared up? Did you ever have acne before the pill? And did lo lo make your acne worse? I'm very worried to start it. The main reason I want to go on it is to get my periods back and help with acne. Thanks so much!!

MemberMember
(@jamocha)

Posted : 08/16/2017 10:38 pm

I have been on lo loestrin for 2 years and I am just nowrealizing my acne struggle is because of the lo loestrin Fe. I even finished a whole course of accutane recently and two weeks post accutane I am already getting a few blemish spots. I'm tempted to just stop taking the lo loestrin right now because if I had known it was my BC I would have stopped it a long time ago and never had to be on accutane. My chest, back, neck, and face had rash like acne all over it. It's clear now thanks to accutane but I woke up this morning with a zit on my face and one on my arm. I know it's the birth control. I know everyonerespondsto medication differently but if you have ever struggled with acne I would run away from this BC.

MemberMember
(@ecrudance)

Posted : 08/23/2017 9:26 am

I was taking the Loestrin (Not Lo Loestrin) and it definitely did not help with my acne. There's a post somewhere on here by a user named GreenGables that breaks down the types of birth control, but from my understanding these brands increase the levels of androgen/testosterone, something like that.
I switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen three weeks ago. My acne is raging right now but I think this is a common symptom and that results are seen after the three month point, so I am being patient. Hope this helps.