Notifications
Clear all

Scar excision/revision left indented scar, re-excision?

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 07/26/2017 3:12 pm

Got scar excision/revision on a hypipigmented  scar on my face about six months ago. It healed very indented and not "flat" as I was told it  would , with raised sides. Surgeon wants to excise it again but I'm a bit skeptical considering it didn't heal correctly in the first place. He says this time around it'll be an easier and more successful revision since the first time he did it he was dealing with a fairly large area as compared to the narrower area that it is now. He says subcision, filler, laser, etc wouldn't help (believe me I suggested every less invasive option). I do have an appt with another ps scheduled for next month for a second opinion but if he tells me differently, such as "yes laser would help", who do I go with? I would have to start all over again, price wise,  because it's a new doc  (second excision would be covered by initial surgeon) so that would suck as well. I'm just torn and don't know what to do, Any input/feedback would be appreciated, thank you. 

IMG_9030.PNG

IMG_9031.JPG

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/27/2017 8:43 am

Tough one, basically your decision. As it's "free" for the revision, you might go ahead with that, and then part ways if it is not better. Surprised he did not offer laser after, acid peel, subcision. I'd look into those after. You could always do the revision and then laser with the other Dr who is the second opinion. Depends how much you trust him. You could also microneedle and tca the thing at home after it's healed from the revision.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 07/27/2017 2:16 pm

8 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

Tough one, basically your decision. As it's "free" for the revision, you might go ahead with that, and then part ways if it is not better. Surprised he did not offer laser after, acid peel, subcision. I'd look into those after. You could always do the revision and then laser with the other Dr who is the second opinion. Depends how much you trust him. You could also microneedle and tca the thing at home after it's healed from the revision.

He said subcision wouldn't help because the scar isn't tethered down by a scar underneath. Said laser would do nothing for indentation and filler may help a bit but it's not permanent. I think he screwed up in the first place by not having me wear tape once the stitches were out. Supposedly it's going to be much better the second time around because it's thinner and I'll wear the tapefor two weeks so itwon't widen (again which he should have told me in the first place). I'm just afraid of it coming out even worse (even though it said that's not a possibility, I still have my doubts). We will see what other ps says..

Noa27 liked
MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 07/27/2017 3:01 pm

Honestly, i would leave it as the way it is now and cover it up with makeup like dermaflage.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 07/27/2017 4:54 pm

I can't cover the indent with makeup, if it were just discolored I wouldn't care but it's heavily indented

IMG_8511.PNG

MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 07/28/2017 3:47 am

Dermaflage is made for indented scarring.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 07/28/2017 10:19 am

6 hours ago, Noa27 said:

Dermaflage is made for indented scarring.

It doesn't work, believe me I've tried. There is no makeup that can cover indentations no matter what they claim

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 08/03/2017 10:57 am

Well I've scheduled the revision surgery (again), in so depressed and angry that I had the surgery in the first place, it looks so much worse and now I have to go through this experience again with,again, no idea of the outcome. My advise is live with the scar you have if you're thinking of excision, it'll only make it worse.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 08/03/2017 1:39 pm

Have you gotten a second opinion? At the very least see what another surgeon has to say. If he does another excision it's going to be a larger excision. Ask him if he will evert the edges. That means when he closes it up the edges are raised so when when the skin is under tension it becomes flat as it contracts. If he just lines up the edges flat, when the skin contracts it will just indent again, but this time the excision will be larger and potentially worse.

Have you tried filler? I honestly would at least consider this before doing this again. If it does not work then go through with the excision. Why didn't you go through with consulting the other ps? Excision honestly is usually a bad idea for an area that is mobile and that large. If this was me, I would not do it.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 08/04/2017 4:24 pm

On 8/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, dazzed said:

Have you gotten a second opinion? At the very least see what another surgeon has to say. If he does another excision it's going to be a larger excision. Ask him if he will evert the edges. That means when he closes it up the edges are raised so when when the skin is under tension it becomes flat as it contracts. If he just lines up the edges flat, when the skin contracts it will just indent again, but this time the excision will be larger and potentially worse.

Have you tried filler? I honestly would at least consider this before doing this again. If it does not work then go through with the excision. Why didn't you go through with consulting the other ps? Excision honestly is usually a bad idea for an area that is mobile and that large. If this was me, I would not do it.

I did get a second opinion from another ps who basically said the same thing, "it healed badly, only option is to start over." He agreed that filler would be useless because that area is too rigid. Ps said he won't have to make the scar longer but I don't know how that's possible. I don't know about the everteded edges but I'll ask.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 08/16/2017 7:43 pm

He is doing a mattress suture, cutting in a elipse. Promising me it won't be a longer scar but I'm still scared shitless

MemberMember
(@jucarasa)

Posted : 03/13/2019 4:12 pm

I think the money part is secondary to the more important one (Get the right facial plastic surgeon) with the experience in the techniques for

doing this type of revision. I have seen miracles with the GBLC  (Geometric Broken Line Closure) where you can;t eve see the new scar. Good luck I'm on the same boat

but my scar is on my chin and I don't think I am lucky enough to be able to have tjhis (GBLC) done there. I will be taking care of it I already found the (Facial) plastic Surgeon.

2010-07_03-009.jpg

Yes eversion is the trick so it doesn't end up depressed or indented again but there you are trading a  straight line scar for a hopefully more favorable one.

On the other hand the GBLC is the Cadillac of the scar revision procedures and your scar is in a good place for it. check  videos from scar revision from Dr Sam Lam in Plano Texas.

the only thing again is the right Facial plastic surgeon with experience in the technique. Check out  Regan Thomas Md  Chicago. I would try him to do it.

Screenshot_2019-03-09 20181023-Mohs-Scar-Revision-Before-After-web jpg (WEBP Image, 700 — 262 pixels).png

MemberMember
(@jucarasa)

Posted : 03/13/2019 4:31 pm

You can laser it several times and it would still be noticeble, subsicion and fillers won't fix this . one thing I never mentioned is the right surgeon would have closed it right the first time.

I personally would not go to the same surgeon even if it was free. Good luck. There is another surgeon in New Jersey who you can check also Dr Janjua.

MemberMember
(@jucarasa)

Posted : 09/26/2020 2:37 am

I am just wondering if you got your scar fixed? I wrote you about a 2 years ago. I had very good luck with mine. I found a really

good (Facial plastic surgeon) in my area. He used the w-plastic technique and it worked successfully.

MemberMember
(@uruguay)

Posted : 09/26/2020 11:07 pm

20 hours ago, jucarasa said:

I am just wondering if you got your scar fixed? I wrote you about a 2 years ago. I had very good luck with mine. I found a really

good (Facial plastic surgeon) in my area. He used the w-plastic technique and it worked successfully.

Nice to see a comeback... what type scar you had?