GRAM NEGATIVE FOLLI...

Notifications
Clear all

GRAM NEGATIVE FOLLICULITIS

MemberMember
(@dcksteel)

Posted : 07/21/2017 12:05 am

I Havent been on this site since 2007.. cant believe i still remembered my user name and password.
anyways,. i need help. heres the story

ive had acne since my early teens,. went on accutane a few times worked wonders,.. then in 2003 or so i got denied accutane and instead got told to try CLINDAMYCIN powder mixed in an alcohol and water solution. So i tried it.. one to one and a half capfuls was enough to splash over the entire face every night before bed. Within a week or two i was clear, it worked great! i continued using it.. for years and years.. I NOW know that was a BAD idea. Dumb doc didnt tell me to take a break from it , he just kept prescribing it. Anyways,. fast forward like 5 or so years.. it stopped working so well.. acne seemed to be resisting the clindaymcin. Went to doc.. he just prescribed me more and told me to keep using it. fast forward another couple years and i started getting sinus issues and stomach issues.. thought it had notyhing to do with the clindamycin.. so i continued to use it. I now got headaches every time i would use it. I also noticed my skin started to get very oily all the time.. also acne was not going away. I finally had enough and stopped after 10 years or so. Then i researched clindaymcin for acne and found it can cause gram negative folliculitis. I also learned the gram negative bacteria lived in this sinuses and people that have gram negative folliculitis tend to have very oily skin. I had all of this. I found out accutane or the anti biotic sulfatrim are the only 2 treatments available to fight this stuff. I find a new derm and request accutane. he refuses. Many docs are hesitant to prescribe accutane these days as im sure you guys are aware. Instead he tried to prescribe me a clindamycin and benzoil peroxide combo. I was like r u serious i just told u clinndamycin messed me up. Upset i leave and just treat the folliculitis which i THOUGHT was acne with OTC BP. oily skin and sinus issues persist. After a year i go back and i went when i had some fresh folliculitis whiteheads and i DEMAND that he culture it .. he says its pointless its just acne blah blah but if it will make me feel better he will do it. So he does it and a week later i get a phone call at night and its him telling me i was right. The bacteria is klebisa (spelling?) its a common gram negative bactieria. He puts me on sulfatrim pills for 2 weeks,. no help at all. I then have to beg for accutane. He gives it to me, i go on it for 6 or 7 monthes.. during this time my sinuses get WRECKED. i mean stuffed with blood and crusty boogers DAILY. hard to breathe. What i SUSPECT was happening is the accutane was drying out the mucus membranes in the sinuses and the bacteria was trying to resist and it was just a warzone. Finish course. a couple months later or a month later or so the gram negative folliculitis returned. He now says i should just live with it and has prescribed stieva a which doesnt do crap.

My sinuses are still congested and have issues. I have eruptions of white heads which is the gram negative bacteria. Its especially worse after i shave. My skin is EXTREMELY oily and my face is hot and sweats a lot. I feel like i aggrivated the folliculitis with the course of accutane. I dont know what to do now. How do i treat this and get rid of it? Has anyone had success getting rid of this stuff? Please help me with your advice.. im really upset and depressed about this situation. My acne is gone but now i have this new problem.. i cant get a break..

Jennifer* liked
MemberMember
(@promamba)

Posted : 07/21/2017 11:51 pm

Can you describe what it looks like? Is it like skin colored bumps? Any redness? And where

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 08/02/2017 1:38 am

That really sucks. I can't believe doctors are still handing antibiotics out when the research has shown how bad an idea it is. Accutane is usually the treatment of choice for Gram Negative Follicitis, but if you've already tried it it's probably not the best thing to be repeating. I have two suggestions. One, start taking a probiotic, whether a supplement or a food or both. Two, look into getting a "probiotic" facewash. Development with this idea is still ongoing, so an effective product could still be several years in the making. However there is a company called 'Mother Dirt' who make a facewash and moisturiser designed to help good bacteria on the skin. Steer clear of anti-bacterial face washes.

I don't know if that will help but it's worth a try?

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@dcksteel)

Posted : 08/18/2017 1:34 am

for some reason i was not alerted of these replies, so sorry for the delay in responding to both of you guys and thanks for responding.

to the first response.. the folliculitis can range from tiny white heads that form in clusters like 3-6 small white heads in the same area near chin or around nose and mouth.. i ALWAYS get it after shaving and on the chin. However, i believe it has even spread to my scalp and hairline around the back of neck , on the scalp itself,. and front hairline. There will be the same small to medium size long lasting small cysts or whiteheads.. the location of them are in the hairs so that tells me its folliculitis. I even get it around the eyebrows.
One thing that i learned is that the gram negative bacteria lives in the nose. I have had sinus issues for years and no ENT can solve it. I totally believe it is the gram negative bacteria hiding up in there that is causing my sinus issues. I also have SEVERELY oily skin.. which is another symptom of the gram neg folliculitis. The gram negative bacteria needs a wet environment to survive. thats why accutane works cuz it dries you up to the bacteria cant survive. But the 7 month course i did , did not cure me. In fact all i got was side effects that I STILL have today that being very very sore joints and the muscles around them. I dont know how to get rid of it.

Jolly: i will look up this probiotic face wash you mentioned.. i dont know if it will do anything either but seems intereting. if it helps maintain or return the skin to its normal bacterial nature, then its worth a shot.

right now im on steiva retinol tretinoin cream, .. i started with the lightest dose and now am on .025%... i honest can say it hasnt done a damn thing for me

MemberMember
(@auditor)

Posted : 09/12/2017 10:04 pm

I also have this problem
I have GNF too
i have taken Isotretinoin for 6 months. it was working perfectly for me.
But after I have stopped taking it, GNF comes out.
SO i took it for another 6 more months, but it is still the same
I dont know what I have to do now.
I am very frustrated with this problem

Is anything working for you?

MemberMember
(@timelycornice)

Posted : 09/19/2017 12:24 am

My experience with Gram Negative Folliculitis:

After developing pretty severe cystic acne around my chin, cheeks and forehead at the age of about 14, I visited my doctor in order to see what could be done to help. In response, he prescribed me Dalacin T, a topical solution with the active ingredient clindamycin. While it never cleared me completely, I was happy with its ability to keep my acne (mostly) at bay and therefore continued using it long term. While I would try and stop using it every year or so, I'd find that within a few weeks of doing so one or two large and painful spots would appear. For this reason, I remained on Dalacin T until the age of about 21 (yes, far too long), being prescribed it in 3-month supplies by many different doctors over the years (the clinic I attended did not attempt to establish long-term doctor/patient relationships). That changed when I was around 21 with my development of what I now know to be gram negative folliculitis.

The symptoms that I experienced are pretty typical according to the academic papers that I have read: pustules that form around the mouth and that are particularly itchy (to the extent sleeping can be difficult). Despite applying ample Dalacin T, the numbers on my face merely increased and in a very short space of time I was being badly affected by them. Unlike my experience with acne, these caused a pain that, while not severe, was very difficult to ignore. Yes, they were obviously unsightly, but the constant sensation of them prevented me pushing them to the back of my mind like you might otherwise do when having a good time. This even got to the point that it began causing me to experience social anxiety (at the time I was thoroughly miserable, to put it mildly). However, as I just took it to be nothing more than many break-outs of regular acne, I simply looked for a solution along the same line as one that had been working for me up until then a new antibiotic.

The new antibiotic I was prescribed was oral doxycycline. This worked wonders and in the space of what was probably around a week my skin was completely clear (something very odd in regular acne but perhaps not surprising for those suffering from non-scarring GNF). I was very happy and for about four months I didnt experience a single pimple, even getting compliments on my skin from strangers. Unfortunately, the effect of Doxy wore off and I had a return of the pustules that itched like crazy. In response, I went to a new doctor and was prescribed BP with clindamycin mixed in it. Needless to say, this had no effect and, if anything, was the period in which my symptoms were at their most severe.

As I wasnt going out much during the months in which I was on this particular treatment plan, I started looking more into what might be wrong with me. It dawned on me that the speed with which my symptoms evaporated on taking Doxy (and their subsequent return) was odd and might point to something other than regular acne. Eventually I found out about GMF and read up on it, realizing the extent to which it fit my circumstances. Relieved to find that Accutane had been used to treat it and therefore might provide a cure for me, I visited my doctor who then referred me to a couple of dermatologists who could prescribe it. The reason I say a couple is

The first appointment did not go well. Actually, it ended with me questioning the dermatologists training due to his refusal to acknowledge the possibility that I could have this condition rather than regular acne, and him suggesting he had other cases more important that would better serve his time (but in slightly more colorful language). However, in the case of the second appointment I found a dermatologist who recognized the condition and cultured the pustules, finding a GN bacteria with a name that I unfortunately dont remember (it could be one of several). This taught me two things: doctors are only as knowledgeable as their experience allows them to be (and unfortunately may have a misleading perception of the scope of this knowledge) and to seek second opinions.

The outcome of receiving a diagnosis from this dermatologist was that I was put on Accutane for six months. During this time, I experienced the less severe side-effects of dry lips and one or two nosebleeds but happily took them on my (pustule free) chin (a phrase/pun meaning I accepted them). I was very pleased and thought this might be the end of my acne-defined adolescence. As others have found, this was not to be the case. After maybe 6 months of coming off the Accutane the pustules again returned, though less severe than before. While I accepted this for quite a while, after about a year I decided to have another go with the Accutane. This had much the same outcome as before regarding clearing up my skin, but this time caused me to develop some joint pain that worried me enough to decide I did not want to take it again once I was done.

So, did the second round of Accutane work for me? At the age of 34 am I now free of this bothersome condition? I truly apologize for those seeking a permanent cure but unfortunately that is not the case for me. In fact, I have several of the small pustules now (something that prompted me to google recent mentions of the condition, leading me to find this post). However, that is not to say I am unhappy and I dont have coping strategies. I am the husband of a beautiful wife and father to two incredibly cute children, and am in a career I find rewarding and fulfilling. This is despite this condition. I have also learned a great deal of things as a result of GNF that I feel have contributed to making me a better person. While GNF can really take its toll, try your best to minimize its impact both physically and emotionally so that you can get on with your life and not let it beat you down.

Based on my long experience of the condition Id give the following pointers that have worked for me (though were all different and I make no attempt to suggest that these will invariably have a positive result in your case):

• Antibiotics such as clindamycin should be avoided if you think you may have the condition and probably if youve been on them for more than a few months for any condition (though Im not a doctor and dont say this from a position of authority but personal experience).
  • Applying moisturizers and leave-on ointments aggravated the condition in my case, perhaps due to the moist environment they create and the tendency of their ingredients to kill off gram-negative bacterias competitors.
  • Accutane works at reducing the skins oil content and seems to cause the GNF to retreat to the nose. In my case it had the most positive long-term impact on my condition.
  • Accutane is a powerful drug and should obviously only be taken if the positives outweigh the negatives (both long and short term). Be careful not to underestimate the potential for negative side effects to continue or worsen after you cease taking it. I think its best to be overcautious when taking it.
  • Ive tried many different skin cleansers, including those containing mandelic acid and the protein lactoferrin, and found they made little difference or aggravated the condition. What seems to work for me is a soap with minimal ingredients that simply carries away oils and doesnt aspire to kill any of the bacteria on the skin.
  • Over-washing my skin causes problems, perhaps because dry, flaky skin provides pockets and fuel for growing bacteria. I limit myself to washing with soap twice a day with water that isnt too hot, splashing my face with cold water and patting dry if I am feeling oily later on.
  • Ive had little or no improvement from probiotics (topical or oral), though that is not to say I discount them as a source of possible benefit. The perseverance of GNF would seem to suggest an immune disorder (otherwise why doesnt the skin flora return to normal?). Ive not tried Mother Dirt products, but owing to the survival of the GNF following Accutane and the inability of a topical probiotic to be applied to the upper respiratory tract Id imagine it would be a means of managing the condition rather than curing it.
  • I seem to experience more pustules during hay fever season. Ive had hay fever since I was a kid (another immune disorder) so I dont believe they are directly related but as I am blowing my nose much more I believe a greater amount of the gram negative bacteria may be spreading during that time of increased nasal mucus.
  • GMF should not be taken lightly. It is a condition that feels much worse than it looks (and it doesnt look great), and also has similarities with a childhood condition (a period during which ridicule is common) making it socially awkward for adults. It is difficult to forget about if you have it, and is hard to manage (with many of the most obvious solutions for similar conditions seeming to make it worse). In my experience, it is also pretty relentless, with it now being 10 years since I first had it diagnosed and more since I believe I first experienced it.
  • To be blunt, while you are at the height of symptoms it may come to define your behavior. However, the symptoms come and go and, based on my history with the condition, can be reduced. You can get around them if not wholly over them. They wont invariably prevent you achieving many great things.

Ive not used any product names during this post as I do not want to be thought of as a shill.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/20/2017 10:37 am

If you get what you suspect is folliculitus in your scalp i eouldnt dallybas the longer it gos on you will start to lose your hair.takeit from someone who is going through this process as i type.

been going on for years,brought on by sweating overly over a long peroid of time.

dr gave me some anti bacterial shampoo 2 yrs ago,another gave me dermol 500 beginning of year,big mistake.

been prescribed flucloxicillin,furst 250mg 4x daily fir 7 days,started to clear the stuff but then ran out if tabs,it wasnt gone and flated up again so made another appointment.went to dr after a week,condition was bad,so much so my scalp stung badly.asked next dr to give me 2 weeks after explaining that the first dose ran short.thos time got 500mg 4x a day 7 days,same happened again,as it worked it ran out,so now i gone back a third time and i got 500mg 4x day for 10 days.

so now finishing my 2nd day,8 days left to go.

drs dont seem clued up at all about this condition.some drs dont even get out their chairs yo examine your head,luckily they started clicking and am hopefull i can get treated and clear as i lost at an estimate 50% of my hair especialy ontop.

so cautionary tale for you is,if you suspect its folliculitus,dont dally get to the drs and get anti biotics that work.

hopefully i update when i done my anti biotic course to let you know what happened.eould be nice to know what your current situation is and what you took,results etc for future incase someone reads this thread as it could help them also.

thanks.
:)

MemberMember
(@madsendjaol-com)

Posted : 10/15/2017 3:42 pm

I now realize I have had recurring gram negative folliculitis for going on 2 years. It has been a nightmare to think it's gone, only to have it come back most every month. One time it lasted for 10 weeks around my mouth and on my chin (have had it start on my cheeks too) because I kept aggravating the integrity of my skin tissue and spreading it, while trying all sorts of supposed remedies: peroxide, Bragg's apple cider vinegar, benzoyl peroxide, various essential oils, bleach, peroxide for whitening my teeth, Hibiclens, decolorized iodine, and rubbing alcohol. Harsh treatments made it appear as impetigo with yellow oozing that crusted over. I was even cultured a couple of times in the past with the same resultant gram negative bacteria. A nurse pactitioner prescribed topical and oral antibiotics to no avail, so I sucked up the expense and went to my naturopath, and within 5-7 days my 10 weeks of suffering ended!

Though it is still recurring, the best thing so far has been something the naturopath prescribed: stopping all my other efforts and using dried calendula. It is mild and soothing and works wonders! You make a tea with it and apply it with a cloth to affected areas, let it dry and then apply extra virgin coconut oil. It needs 2-4 T. per 2 cups water for application and 1/4 c. per quart of water to drink daily till skin clears. (That first time I made the quart with 1/4 cup calendula and drank it and saved some for application. Later when I got the folliculitis on my neck and whole torso, she had me double the strength and not drink it, and that worked just as fast. That was the only time I had it off my face, but it started on my cheeks. Apply it morning and night, but three times a day would be better, I think.

I had to buy the dried flowers (which is a certain type of marigold, pot marigold) from an apothecary store. Bring water to a boil (I used filtered water), add the dried flowers, cover, and let steep for 10-20 min. (I do 20 min.) Then use a colander and funnel to pour it into a mason jar and put on the lid. You can keep it in the frig up to four days

Now I need to figure out how to keep this from coming back! Either it is from gut dysbiosis, skin dysbiosis, gram negative bacteria staying alive in my nares and getting spread to my face or maybe all of the above! From my readings, I also learned from two others that exercise kept it at bay, so I will begin exercising regularly and continue to correct my intestinal microbiome with my whole foods, plant-based diet and probiotics or kimchi (I think I will learn to make my own!). I also plan to use a mild soap or pH balanced facial cleanser. It seems like the folliculitis flares up when I scrub my face while showering to remove my out of control daily build up of dead skin cells and junk from my pores (yes, my face -and hair- has been more oily in the last several years than earlier years). I plan to use salicyclic acid nightly to slough off dead skin, followed by the pH balanced cleanser (acne.org cleanser). I will also look into a probiotic cleanser.

However, my most important find to stop recurrence may be SinoFresh, which is supposed to get rid of the GNB in our nares, so that may be the only solution we need! It is normally sold at Target and Walgreens, but the SinoFresh website says it's back ordered until today, so hopefully it will become available soon! Apparently, past antibiotic usage can kill off the normal gram positive bacteria in the nose and leave the gram negative. Interestingly, this may have all started with sores in my nose that I thought were recurring cold sores that had migrated there. I recently had a sore in my nose that lasted 3 week until I finally used the calendula and coconut oil on it. From reading more about SinoFresh on their FB page just now, I guess use of this has to be continued, and, if so, that means I will be continuing to correct my intestinal and facial microbiome in hopes of attacking the root cause and a full recovery. (I am thinking this will fix any unwanted bacteria in my nose as well.)

I may also try Emuaid from [removed], which I just discovered.

Hope we all discover the solution together! Thank you SO much for sharing your stories!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/17/2017 7:47 am

Fliculitis i would ssy is a term to describe ones condition.folliculitus brings acne or in s lot if cases scalp acne and as such should be tackled as acne at first.

i would recommend anything bar anti biotics and washing head with anti biotic wash,no topicals,no oils,just anti biotics or a wash.

in some cases light therapy as this kills bacteria.

the idea is to kill bacteria that causes acne,no bacteria,no acne,simple as that.

so if anyone is reading and suffers ir suspects they suffer from folliculitus,dont dally,get to the dr and get anti biotics,tetracycline,flucloxacillin but be carefull with penecillin based.

you could perhaps try a couple courses of penecillin based to start as that will/should weaken the bacteria if it decides to reoccur,then hit it with tetracycline and try to erradicate it.

just a case of banging away at it and hooefully you will rid yourself of this horrid condition.
:)

MemberMember
(@madsendjaol-com)

Posted : 01/03/2018 7:10 pm

I posted above, and now I am cured! Two years ago, I started having recurring infections around my mouth that would last up to 10 weeks. I also had folliculitis that spread down my neck and inhabited my torso twice for weeks. For the last several months, I fought folliculitis that was basically all over my face. As you read above, I used every bactericidal chemical possible, plus essential oils and topical and oral antibiotics matched for my particular gram negative bacteria (and later for gram positive) to no avail. Mid-November, I discovered I've had hyperparathyroidism, which keeps vitamin D low. Prior to surgery, I was suspicious that my folliculitis could not heal due to low vitamin D (vitamin D regulates oil production and acts like macrophages to eat up bacteria), so I sat in the sun in Florida (where I had my surgery) the day before surgery for 1 1/2 hours. The day after surgery, my face was smooth! It stayed smooth for about four days, and then small pimples and blackheads quickly started to populate my entire face again! I was now back home in Colorado, and my doctor had be taking 3000 IUs of vitamin D3 along with my calcium, so I guessed that was not enough and increased my vitamin D3 to 4000 IUs, and my face cleared again and has stayed clear! Be sure to monitor your vitamin D levels for toxicity, but the Vitamin D Council's website has great info on how much we can safely take! Hope this helps you all!

MemberMember
(@pustulesandgnf)

Posted : 01/07/2018 4:49 am

On 04/01/2018 at 8:10 AM, Jennifer* said:

I posted above, and now I am cured! Two years ago, I started having recurring infections around my mouth that would last up to 10 weeks. I also had folliculitis that spread down my neck and inhabited my torso twice for weeks. For the last several months, I fought folliculitis that was basically all over my face. As you read above, I used every bactericidal chemical possible, plus essential oils and topical and oral antibiotics matched for my particular gram negative bacteria (and later for gram positive) to no avail. Mid-November, I discovered I've had hyperparathyroidism, which keeps vitamin D low. Prior to surgery, I was suspicious that my folliculitis could not heal due to low vitamin D (vitamin D regulates oil production and acts like macrophages to eat up bacteria), so I sat in the sun in Florida (where I had my surgery) the day before surgery for 1 1/2 hours. The day after surgery, my face was smooth! It stayed smooth for about four days, and then small pimples and blackheads quickly started to populate my entire face again! I was now back home in Colorado, and my doctor had be taking 3000 IUs of vitamin D3 along with my calcium, so I guessed that was not enough and increased my vitamin D3 to 4000 IUs, and my face cleared again and has stayed clear! Be sure to monitor your vitamin D levels for toxicity, but the Vitamin D Council's website has great info on how much we can safely take! Hope this helps you all!

Hi Jennifer,

Any updates on whether you have continued to remain clear up until now? Also, I was wondering if you could explain in greater detail how Vitamin D tackles gram-negative folliculitis?

I have recently just observed a recurrence of my gram-negative folliculitis after lowering my isotretinoin dosage from 40mg a day to 20mg a day. I was previously taking 40mg a day for the past 5 months and things were going well. Now I just feel so lost and helpless. Im only 21 and I really dont want to have to continue dealing with this for the rest of my life...

Jennifer* liked
MemberMember
(@madsendjaol-com)

Posted : 01/12/2018 11:36 pm

Sorry for the delay! So sorry to hear your distress. I do understand! I had to increase my vitamin D3 to 5000 IU's before menses, since females use more vitamin D during this time, but that seems to work. I am remaining in my pre-follicular normal state, which was never clear pores. Folliculitis was a definitely different beast with persistent clusters of raised pores, random watery whiteheads that gave no warning, and clusters of blackheads. Yes, it is a nightmare! Sorry, I have no further knowledge of vitamin D; I just found out it worked for me! I do know I had gram-negative bacteria, since I had a specimen tested, and I do know that pretty much went away with the regimen my naturopath put me on, since I got tested a second time. The gram-negative was awful around my mouth, but later I was tested and left with mostly gram-positive which spread over most of my face, as stated in my third sentence here. I will now try using the calendula I mentioned above in this thread. Perhaps this can help me further now that my parathryoid adenomas are removed and I can maintain a normal vitamin D level. I will let you all know after another month! Pustulesandgnf, give vitamin D3 a try and report back here! Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@pustulesandgnf)

Posted : 01/17/2018 10:52 pm

On 13/01/2018 at 0:36 PM, Jennifer* said:

Sorry for the delay! So sorry to hear your distress. I do understand! I had to increase my vitamin D3 to 5000 IU's before menses, since females use more vitamin D during this time, but that seems to work. I am remaining in my pre-follicular normal state, which was never clear pores. Folliculitis was a definitely different beast with persistent clusters of raised pores, random watery whiteheads that gave no warning, and clusters of blackheads. Yes, it is a nightmare! Sorry, I have no further knowledge of vitamin D; I just found out it worked for me! I do know I had gram-negative bacteria, since I had a specimen tested, and I do know that pretty much went away with the regimen my naturopath put me on, since I got tested a second time. The gram-negative was awful around my mouth, but later I was tested and left with mostly gram-positive which spread over most of my face, as stated in my third sentence here. I will now try using the calendula I mentioned above in this thread. Perhaps this can help me further now that my parathryoid adenomas are removed and I can maintain a normal vitamin D level. I will let you all know after another month! Pustulesandgnf, give vitamin D3 a try and report back here! Good luck to you!

Hi Jennifer,

thanks for for your reply! So I got tested again and similar to you, what was found in the pus and my nose thrust time was staph aureus (gram-positive bacteria), no longer gram-negative bacteria. And like you said, the whiteheads/pustules have somewhat spread to my cheek region as well. I have started on Vitamin D although my dermatologist doesnt think low Vitamin D levels are responsible for my folliculitis.

So am I right to say that initially, you broke out primarily around your mouth due to gram-negative bacteria, and subsequently you broke out all over your face due to gram-positive bacteria? I was wondering if the type of acne you got that was caused by the gram-positive bacteria was similar in profile to the acne caused by the gram-negative bacteria, or if you could tell them apart. For myself the acne caused by the gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria are more or less identical and hard to distinguish.

Now that you are clear, what are you hoping to achieve with the calendula?

Cheers and hope to hear from you soon!

Jennifer* liked
MemberMember
(@madsendjaol-com)

Posted : 01/24/2018 3:25 am

How are you? Has the vitamin D helped? How much have you been taking? Mine turned to mostly Staph too! My gram negative were peri-orbital and different, I think, but it was then that I was trying harsh chemicals and essential oils which made it worse and like impetigo. I would think I was getting a cold sore, but tea tree oil didn't work, and it would spread and spread around my mouth. I also had some different ones that had a white center-like pussy thread. They would not heal until I got the center out. Those continued from time to time as my cheeks and forehead broke out.

With calendula (which I have not tried again yet), I hope to have even clearer pores. Like I said, my pores were never clear, but they also are not raised or like the blackheads I had with folliculitis.
The naturopathic regimen I was put on was a lifesaver, so the rest if this may be necessary, along with the vitamin D3. I feel now that while my vitamin D was low, my body couldn't fight off bacteria that it normally would have been able to, and that is why I got strange flare ups. The regimen worked, but then I would seem to get another bacterial flare up.
Do all this for 5 days:
Drink 1 qt of calendula tea made with 1/4 c. dried calendula flowers. Pat some on face twice a day.
1 gram vitamin C
100,000 IU vitamin A
22 mg. zinc (mine was chelated)
3 dropperfuls of a tincture she made three times a day withGood luck, and keep me updated! I wish this website would email me when I receive replies. It was hard for me to find yours, so sorry again!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/24/2018 7:51 pm

I guess I am a little confused like @pustulesandgnftoo. So to recap, you were getting folliculitis around your chin and mouth including whiteheads due to gram negative bacteria which was cured by Vitamin D? Can you describe the exact order of occurrences? For example what you were diagnosed with first, what treatment you used and when you got your pustules cultured again and when it came back as gram positive what treatment worked?

Right now its just hard to understand how exactly you treated your gram negative and where the pustules occured and how they were different when you got gram positive, the location of pustules and how you treated those. Thanks @Jennifer*

MemberMember
(@blisshardtop)

Posted : 07/10/2018 7:07 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of finding out I have probably got GN scalp folliculitis. My symptoms started a year ago. Antibiotics stopped being effective and sudden severe outbreak of lesions particularly in the scalp. Was prescribed flucloxacillin which had some trouble working and after two weeks still had some lesions although much improved.
Saw a consultant dermatologist who prescribed isotretinoin to combat acne. This was the third time I have taken this drug,no side effects previously, but this time had to come off the drug because of side effects, still have some of them. It was like there was a battle royal going on between the bacteria and the drug. The folliculitis was suppressed for a few months but there are recurrences of abscesses
at monthly intervals app.over the last 5 months. These initially responded to flucloxacillin but last time I needed co-amoxyclav ( resists penicillinase produced by resistant bacteria).
Unfortunately given the side effects it is unlikely I will be able to go back onto isotretinoin and the drug options are limited. The efficiency of topical ointments against gram negative bacteria is questionable and from my experience might in some circumstances cause inflammation leading to early onset of the abscess.
The cause of all this is probably from what I have been reading overlong use of antibiotics.
I am afraid treatment is only as good as the doctor.

Peter

MemberMember
(@ozz)

Posted : 12/10/2018 9:32 pm

Hello, anyone here have any additional solutions for GNF? I was recently diagnosed with it and am trying to figure out how to treat it without accutane. My dermatologist prescribed a two week course of azithromycin but didntwork.

Has anyone here tried bactroban? I read online that it can be used to treat GNF so I plan on talking to my doctor about it. I also read that an amoxicilin or augmentin antibiotic can help as well. Lastly a naturopath doctor recommended Biocidin which Ill eventually try as well. Ill try to update my progress and hopefully someone else here has had better luck.

MemberMember
(@maverickk21)

Posted : 04/28/2019 4:49 am

On 12/11/2018 at 4:32 AM, Ozz said:

Hello, anyone here have any additional solutions for GNF? I was recently diagnosed with it and am trying to figure out how to treat it without accutane. My dermatologist prescribed a two week course of azithromycin but didntwork.

Has anyone here tried bactroban? I read online that it can be used to treat GNF so I plan on talking to my doctor about it. I also read that an amoxicilin or augmentin antibiotic can help as well. Lastly a naturopath doctor recommended Biocidin which Ill eventually try as well. Ill try to update my progress and hopefully someone else here has had better luck.

Hi. I tried bactroban (2% mupirocin cream), for my staph aures in my nose but it didn't work on the long term

MemberMember
(@krzsss)

Posted : 08/30/2023 7:24 pm

Hi .I also have folliculitis caused by klebsiella oxytoca on my head. Benzoyl Peroxide is working but not so great as before. Any new method/product that is working on long term.?

This post was modified 8 months ago by Krzsss
MemberMember
(@khan0709)

Posted : 10/08/2023 1:10 am

Hello everyone!

Hope you are doing well.

I have the same problem i.e acne Vulgaris on my chin and head areas only( gram negative folliculitis) and I'm facing this problem since 5 years. I tried different antibiotics like doxycycline, azithromycin, ampicillin and Linezolid but it reappeared after some time.

I have used isotretinoin for two months consecutively and with different antibiotics but still the problem is there. Could you please suggest me medication i will be grateful.